Intermitant excessive noise and vibration at idle

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Intermittent excessive noise and vibration at idle

So, I've had just general maintenance and some small minor problems since I bought by B4. The greatest of the problems to date is a tooth finally breaking loose in my driver side window regulator. However, the greatest annoyance I have is excessive noise and vibration when coming to a stop.

It is a bit hard to describe in all honesty. It is mostly noticeable in the cabin. Weather I down shift to help slow down to a stop, use just the brakes, or if on an incline I coast to a stop in or out of gear, I get this problem. So when the car come to a stop, the engine come back down to idle. It pauses for a few seconds at idle and then becomes quieter and engine vibration mitigates as well.

Here is the catch, it stopped "calming" down like this beginning about a year and a half ago. I just stays at the louder and harsher idle. I can sometimes force the engine to become quieter by going into first and letting out the clutch just enough to start catching and this will sometime cause the engine to then calm down. I can also turn on the AC for a few seconds to do the same. I've had my VAG hooked up looking at IQ, MAF flow rate, and RPMs and there is no difference in any of the measurements between these two states.

Lately, I'm noticing outside ambient air temps have an impact on this. A warm day (above 75) will have this occur only 20-30% of the time whereas a cool (below 70) it will happen about 85-95% of the time. kooyajerms and Fixmy59bug have both looked at my engine when warm and there doesn't seem to be enough play on my engine mounts during idle or even starting it. I'm at ~122K miles and about ~18K away from a timing belt change that would be 4K early. I do have a tensioner or the harmonic balancer that oscillates with a range of about 1/3" off of center, but checking it between both states of the engine show do difference in how much it moves.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Check to see if it's working fine, check to see if it's clogged? Please bear with me as I'm a gear head in training with this car. It's been maybe 40K-ish miles given it was cleaned when I bought it over 2 years ago.

Edit: Best photo I can take before I leave for work. I hope it shows enough. If not I can take another when I get home and have a chance to play with light.

Last edited:

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
It sure looks dirty? Cleaned yet! rdkern is on to something. Diesel purged lately? Keep it simple first.
Something maybe to do with the clutch getting old?

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did some diesel purge about 5 months ago, iirc. Added 2 mpg to my average economy. I don't know if that level of crud on the EGR is more than acceptable. If it is, I'll see if I can get a little help in cleaning it out and report back. How would this be related to the clutch if I'm idle and out of gear since the loading of the AC is a fix for it too? Just trying to understand.

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea, Report back because Im having a little vibration at idle also.
I apologize for my vagueness on why the clutch might be a factor ..I read something here recentrly on vibration changing when engageing and disengageing the clutch and it could possibly be worn clutch related parts involving pressure plates, flywheels ..sorry its lost on me now.
Maybe a combination of the dirty EGR and the Harmonic Dampner pulley wobbling and just maybe when the AC's turned on it takes the vibration out of the serp by tightening it up or even reduceing friction on the belt when AC's on.
Inspect the AC pulley and the Alt. pulley? these are not clutched one direction kind, should spin clock and counterwise. Pry the tention off the serp tentioner arm with a heavy scredriver and leave the serp belt slinging loose for a bit and check all pulleys, before inspect the serp belt for vibration and H/dampner while idleing looking under that area (with the brake on to be safe ofcourse)
Thats your silver B4 on here with the blanked outr grill and nice headlights?? .. Nice car!

Last edited:

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
it's funny. On my way into work I played with the clutch a bit while in neutral to see if it had an effect on the vibration. Fortunately/unfortunately, it didn't. I'll grab the two gaskets and chopefully clean my egr next week. Tomorrow I'll try and look at the belts issue and also check my flex pipe as I've had suggested elsewhere.

Yup, thats my B4. Trying to refresh parts and bring it into a clean, well empt, and aesthetic state. I'm also working on making clear corners, but maintaining the amber ligt for safety. LED tailghts, some LED or EL conversions to interior ligting is also on mylist. sprint 520's plus 2.5" DP and CAT and tinted winsows will be following with the cash flow.

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
I know this has been hashed and rehashed here, but have you pulled and cleaned the intake manifold or just the EGR? Mine was vibrating somewhat and had a VERY clogged intake, but this was not visible just from the EGR alone. I'm getting ready to pull the intake on my wife's New Beetle which had a pretty bad EGR but I am sure the manifold is worse... it almost always seems to be.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, with it suggested even after the photo, I think I'll be cleaning the EGR and intake over my next weekend or two with some local help from Jeremy (kooyajerms)

87turboquattro

Veteran Member
TDI
97 passat
the crud in the intake doesn't stop there.it goes all the way down to the valve head and builds up.i don't have any pics,but when i fix cylinder heads,the build almost blocks off the port completely.

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
Exactly. In fact, it clogs up in the neck of the intake manifold. Right where there is a sharp bend. Clean that intake. --Steve

87turboquattro said:
the crud in the intake doesn't stop there.it goes all the way down to the valve head and builds up.i don't have any pics,but when i fix cylinder heads,the build almost blocks off the port completely.

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
IDK if this might help (and Im contemplating doing this also), but has the MAF been checked? I was looking up how to clean a maf and read, either spray with CRC (electrical cleaner) or put in a plastic bag of 90+% rubbing alcohol and shake it up and let dry.