My mom can't drive anymore so the car is being sold 2000 Jetta very base model
pros
low km under 80,000
timing belt done a few years ago
good tires steel wheels
no rust

cons
front bumper torn off and just slapped back on so skid plate is mostly gone
some minor scrapes, car was repainted a few years ago but mom "touches things"as any of you would know with older parents. No dings I can recall but scrapes from rubbing the bushes on driveway and brail parking

base model auto trans
would be a great university car or first car, with a good cut polish and a trip to wrecker for a skid plate and some clips you would have a good car that would last a long time

I'm thinking $4000 would be fair, maybe less I can't find anything even close to it on Kijiji, CL or auto trader doing a Canada wide search

your two cents

car in Vancouver BC

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
I may be off base, but IMHO $4K seems quite high for a car that has as many cosmetic issues as you describe... especially a gas powered vehicle with an automatic gearbox.

The only thing it really has going for it is that as a west coast vehicle it might be fairly rust free.

redlinedave

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta wagon
nope
$1000 buy you a clapped out 250km+ rust bucket
$4000 maybe too much but surely not 1k
for $500 one could fix the body up, and as stated you would have a great car.

I'm 5000km away from my mom and just trying to get a fair price.
maybe ask $4000 and take 3 to to 3.5

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I think its a stretch as well, maybe $1500. I bought a golf with only 140k on it a few years ago for less than $1000 in decent shape.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
The value isn't just about the condition of the vehicle... you have to consider demand as well.

How many people are interested in an otherwise unremarkable gasser Jetta that is almost 20 years old?

A very clean car might get some additional interest, but what you described suggests a number of cosmetic issues.

SOme pics might give us better insight, but I'm with Steve6... you would likely do well to get $1500 - $2000.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
If you check kijiji, $1K is about what people are asking. I doubt the OP will do much better than that.
Simon
Did you look on kijiji in BC?

2000 Jettas with 200+k are advertised for between $2000 and $4500.

I would think an asking price of $3000 would get some interest and might fetch $2500.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Why not just fix the issues for $500 get the car ready to pass the safety and then get $4K for it? If you are selling the car as-is you will leave a lot of $$$ on the table. The mileage is a big bonus on this car but the cosmetics need to match it or it will not sell for much. You also have to keep in mind that this is a 20 year old car.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That car is next to worthless here. I agree you are better off to fix the couple minor issues it has to get more out of it, but I still would not expect much.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Did you look on kijiji in BC?

2000 Jettas with 200+k are advertised for between $2000 and $4500.

I would think an asking price of $3000 would get some interest and might fetch $2500.
I agree with this comment. Each time I have been in BC I've noticed the FS asking prices of VWs and have noted that they seem higher priced.