Transmissions that will fit 2006 Jetta BRM

Patr2020

TDI
2005 jetta, 2000 Jetta
I'm just wondering if a mk4 transmission from a tdi would fit a mk5 BRM engine. If so what if any electrical differences there may be?

Cheers!

OMALLEY_808

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 JETTA TDI
I know that the mk4 TDI transmission DOES work. Buzzken was trying to convince me to buy one as they are stronger apparently. Ended up just being an input shaft seal leaking on mine so I replaced it and mine is still going strong.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Actually the differences between the later 02J from the MKIV and the 0A4 in the 2005.5-2006 MKV are minimal. There are some slight gearing changes and the 0A4 has no speed sensor (uses ABS sensors for that). A late 02J (MKIV) should bolt right in.

The 02J is definitely not any stronger though. It also lacks the upgraded 5th gear oiling the 0A4 offers - Though if the case gets split it can be added easily. I do that upgrade on every 02J I rebuild or repair.

Patr2020

TDI
2005 jetta, 2000 Jetta
Ok yea I'm just in a position where I can get a nice 2006 Jetta and the tranny is blown. I happen to have a 02J sitting at home so if that's going to work I may just do the upgrade!

Arylee_tdi

TDI
Mkv jetta
Old post ik but is there anything to that you would need to change on the mk4 TDI transmission to put it in the mkv?

oldblacksmoker

TDI
1999 jetta tdi, 2005.5 brm
I just did this because of being stranded on my vacation. The two issues you will have is the shift tower differences and the different shift cable bracket.the transmission I found was an early Alh, so maybe it would have been easier with a later model. I need to get a short shifter counterweight to make up the difference. Anyway, it bolts up and shifts, so I just had to use some redneck ingenuity to get back on the road.

oldblacksmoker

TDI
https://goo.gl/photos/ipBubHwGjgVvsx6x6

Laugh away. This is what I did to get on the road. Redneck ingenuity. I was 1300 miles into a 6500 mile trip and needed to get on the road. Another tdiclubber from Indiana found me a junkyard transmission for 129, and pulled it for me for one hundred. I was able to get on the road for less than three hundred dollars.

TonganDiesel

TDI
2000 Black 5 speed manual 234k miles, 2002 Black auto Jetta 309K miles
OMalley_808, Are you saying that the transmission from an ALH TDi 5 speed manual transmission can be connected to the BRM engine? Or vice versa?

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Mk5 transmission cannot be used in Mk4 because it has no provision for speed sensor. (Mk4 reads land speed by dedicated speed sensor. Mk5 reads from wheel ABS). Of course with enough money, tools, know how, time and determination anything can be made to work...

elguano

TDI
Mk5 x2 and Mk4
Well guys , I can tell you that a mk4 02j doesnt fit into the brm wih a smf upgrade.... Blew up the tranny had a good deal on a mk4, put it jn (it does fit) only problem bell housing casing is 70mm thick instead of 75mm as the 0a4... So flywheel is touching housing... Wont even turn... So time to take it off again and find a 0a4

mattyc5094

TDI
2006 jetta BRM,2000 Jetta ALH 2009 sportwagon tdi (totalled),1999.5golf tdi 1998 GOLF (4) RABBIT diesels, 81 Dasher diesel, 2005 DODGE CUMMINS
Does anyone know if 5spd EUH from 2004 BEW will fit into a 2006 BRM jetta. I have SMF conversion installed. above writes that flywheel hits case, can contact area be ground down? just bought trans and was hoping this would be an easy change over.

elguano

TDI
Mk5 x2 and Mk4
Check your bell housing size , you can measure it while the tranny is still on the car, you should be able to see right away ,5mm do a difference...

winsteads

TDI
2005.5 Jetta MKV TDI
Will a BEW flywheel and clutch fit a BRM?

I have a 2005.5 MKV Jetta TDI with a BRM engine. I've done some research and have conflicting info re: what flywheels/clutches will interchange. I found one that says it fits BEW and BRM for the '05.5 and '06 Jetta but I want to know from someone that has actually swapped one out that it will work.

oldblacksmoker

TDI
I have a smf, with the clearance issue. The thing I dislike is the longer throw of the shifter from not changing the tower in the mk4 02j which I installed in my brm.

Smokin' Dually

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Will a 6 speed from an '06 Jetta TDI fit into one of my MK4's? I can get the trans, shifter, cables, flywheel, etc. for a good price.

Last edited: