My 03 Jetta was totaled Tuesday

h1h0silver

TDI
2003 Jetta
I hope this is the right place if not please know I am still coming around. I got sandwiched between two vehicles in a construction zone resulting in my car being totaled. It is heartbreaking and devastating, but at the same time I hope everyone else is okay despite me being in the middle. To everyone on this forum who has helped me, your kindness has not gone unnoticed. Due to the lein on the car I will not be able to get back my engine and 3"turbo back exhaust. The tow company broke my laptop/ vagcom module, and let my q loader get soaked in water. Guys, thanks again, I wish I'd have had a better run.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Glad to hear you're okay. Hopefully you can resurrect that q loader.
If you're like me you'll have another TDI in your future.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Sorry to hear, there are still some nice cars out there. There are plenty of the newer TDIs available now and the prices look pretty good to me.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I would send the tow company a bill for the items lost: laptop, vcds, and qloader at original cost. I would do this on a legal letter head from an attorney's office.
Another option is to include this in the insurance claim. They'll get it from the top tow company, or fail to pay them.

You honestly don't want an engine that was involved in a front end collision anyhow. The rear engine mount tab on the passenger side tends to break and leak oil. When it rains this can cause you to lose control, ask how I know...

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

h1h0silver

TDI
2003 Jetta
Hey guys. I am recuperating very well. Your support is getting me through this. I am glad people see this so that I can pursue other options. I'm going to buy back the car and shove it in a barn, where I can extract the 3" Kerma exhaust, turbo, Colt stage 2 cam, etc. Etc. I have retained a lawyer to assist me with this accident, and will let him know of my lost equipment status. I do not trust engines in front end collisions, but I may can still salvage it. After the courts and myself get situated, I'm going to find another mk4. I have a contact at my work who lives near a mk4 for sale. Hoping it's a manual and the GLI/GLS or whatever that trim level is. If I can come accross a short block, I will do a timing belt job and re-add my modifications. I'm going to probably have to sell/ return some of the items I just got like the OMI, ARP Head studs, new lower intercooler plumbing just to keep afloat.

Is there a chance my transmission may be ok? This wasn't a real high speed collision and I hope to God my SBC stg 2 endurance is reuseable. There engine cranked right up and sounded normal and went into gear when I moved to the shoulder.

Is there a way to know for sure if that engine mount mentioned is broken for sure?

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
The portion in particular that can be damaged in a front end colisin is the two bolt holes circled in blue:

If they're OK, then the motor is ready to rock into another car, so long as there's no other damage, like oil cooler is ok and pan, ect.

Someone did manufacture a bracket you can use in place if one of those ears snapped off, I actually found one at a wrecking yard and took it home.

As for the transmission, I'd imagine it's ok as well as long as the case isn't cracked. A visual inspection will say a lot.

Glad you're recovering well!

h1h0silver

TDI
2003 Jetta
I'll be ok, and while I'm not meaning to make a boo hoo session it does help me knowing y'all show some compassion by checking on how I'm doing. I couldn't detect a vibration when starting up. I hope that this one bit of luck is going to ensure there was no critical harm. But as for oil weeping out as mentioned, if there is none I'm going to swap engines with no changes other than tuning/ dialing in everything. I only see this as a new beginning. Tomorrow I will send pictures of the carnage.

Last edited:

h1h0silver

TDI
2003 Jetta
After going to the tow yard reality set in. That sucker is toast for swapping in. Exhaust is good, and knowing the timing belt didn't break and the engine actually ran fine whilst barfing oil out of the broken oil filter/ cooler assembly, I have a good stage 2 Colt cam. But I'm not trusting that block. No sir. I'll find a new car and mod it withy parts. Turbo is fine. As a celebration of irony I got my arp studs, OMI, and set of core injectors that are to be fitted and calibrated with Bozio dlc764s. Hooray. If I were able to obtain a career this car would be buried with a funeral and coal roll salute.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Hot dog man, glad you walked away from that. With a smack that hard I don't think I'd use anything from that engine as far as moving parts go. Too risky for things blowing up.

Powerstroke9773

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI (totaled parts car) 2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Man I totaled my 02 2 years ago money has been tight but I found a 03 that I drove with a stock engine for the past year and a half. I finally swapped my engine outta the 02 in it ( I bought the car back and stashed it under a shelter) point being I now have my stage 5 tuned engine back in the 03 along with the leather interior and everything's good. It takes time to heal after losing a friend but I've been there in the spot your in and now when I get in it and drive it feels the exact same as my old one. Just take your time and do it right and fix everything and I mean EVERYTHING you didn't like about the old car that's what I did took my time and made the new one what I wished the old one would be. I'm happy with it and I will end up parting out the rest of the totaled car and make my money back.

h1h0silver

TDI
2003 Jetta
Spent 7:30pm last night till 3:30am in the er after a 24hr doc sent me there for concussion symptoms. Went to work at 6, and go to see lawyer at 10:30. I am ready to go to sleep man. The concussion is likely to be in my favor (in an ironic twist of fate) for legal hangups over this, the first bit of good news I desperately need. In the next few days I'll hopefully have a buy back offer on the car, and I'll have lots of parts ready to go. My uncle offered to magnaflux the block and head, an offer I will likely take him up on. While chances are slim, if the parts survived I'm going to be driving my old school Ford until I build a monster tdi. maybe a vnt17/22, fmic, 11mm IP, port/polish, stronger valve springs etc. Dont care if it's a multi-year project, and I'm going to tuck it neatly into the most vanilla flavored Jetta I can find hahaha. I figure if I take the time and build an engine right granted I can use my wrecked cars parts for donor guts, I will have a fun track car.