Fuel Leak

NorthWoods_Tdi

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hi, I am just wondering if anyone has replaced fuel lines? I seem to have a small leak under the body by the passenger door. I circled the hole on the frame that fuel seems to be coming from. Not the best picture but would it make sense that the fuel lines are over that plate? Car is running fine but I imagine the leak just gets worse over time. Will the fuel lines be special order parts from a dealer or could any shop cut regular pipe and replace? Thanks for any input.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
The fuel cooler is over there, it is a radiator looking thing, are you sure it didn’t get hit by road debris and maybe it spraying so it looks like it is coming out of that hole?

I am not sure where the fuel lines are but if it is up inside there I don’t understand why it would start leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I recently had a similar problem: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=494625&highlight=leak

It was quite the nuisance to repair, but another board member helped me out tremendously by providing parts difficult or expensive to obtain. The black underbody panel hiding the actual source of the leak comes off easily with eight plastic 13mm nuts that will stay in the panel. You will need to remove it to find the source of the leak. The fuel cooler itself comes off with just two 13mm nuts. Since this is a return fuel line to the tank from the engine compartment, it is not connected to any large source of fuel that will drain out. The fuel lines are a hard plastic with push-on snap-on fittings. It is not initially obvious how exactly they work, but to get them off, you push in a hard to see black button which releases two inner 'jaws' and then you can easily pull them straight off.

My guess is that you probably hit some road debris that damaged one of the fittings. Fuel will leak out wherever in the panel it finds a low spot, so the leak is probably not exactly where you think it is. If you did damage a line or fitting, the next unfortunate thing is that they are not repairable and VW only sells replacement lines as a set. To make matters worse, being able to get replacements used from an auto salvage store are also difficult, as most of these routinely use large forklifts to move the cars around, and the forks can smash the coolers and lines.

NorthWoods_Tdi

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I am actually out of town so I won't get back under it for 2 weeks. I was thinking it was just an old rusty line (322000 miles), but it could be that cooler fitting like in your thread. Sounds like it will be fun but I will try to update once I get back and see if it was like you guessed. Thanks again