First Official Code Return From VAG-COM!

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
i feel like a new dad, although it is still shareware. I figured it would be about glow plugs in some fashion since the light came on on a very cold morning and it took longer to start and even out than the morning before which was just as cold...the code is
'01050 glow plug monitoring/35-10-intermittent'. I cleared this code last night and it hasn't come back although it hasn't been too cold yet...I expect I will need the Bentley Manual to run this code down, since the "intermittent" makes me think it only happened once. The strange thing is it has started harder since then on cold mornings so it feels like whatever is not working correctly is still not working correctly. OK, guess I'll go get the CD, but if you have any light to shed on this I'd be grateful.

By the way, is Ross-Tech probably as inexpensive a place as any to order the CD?

Tba

the Ross-tech site is the cheapest i have found for the Bently CD, but dont just assume you need it, there are alot of friendly VW people out there willing to share thier expertese... the Vag-Com mailing list is a VERY valuble resource, if you have a problem chances are someone else has and has already asked the question!

for example i went to the view the list as a form (from the ross-tech website or this link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VAG-COM/messages/?threaded=1&viscount=100) and searched for your code (01050) about 10 threads popped up...

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/VAG-COM/message/11392

that one should aswer everything you need to know...

BTW i had the same code about a year ago...read the form took out the multi meter and quickly found i had a bad glow plug, quick trip to the parts store (prats store was less then half of the stealership) $60 and 30 min later i had a nicely starting car /images/graemlins/smile.gif thanks to Fred and his Vag-com (i ordered mine later that day) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! I searched for the code in various permutations here but didn't find anything...I hate to always ask, ya know? Need to accumulate this stuff in my noggin so I won't be high maintenance /images/graemlins/smile.gif...appreciate your help.

The glow plugs should be in any day, but I think I may also replace the relay (NOTE: "relay" should say "harness") just to be proactive...not expensive, and I'm going to make the beater my weekend hobby, so may as well start somewhere /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
The GP relay is about $150. If that isn't expensive to you, then go ahead and replace it.

But I bet it's the harness.

You've been a member for 2 years and have never seen a post about glow plug faults?

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Doh! I did say relay....my bad. I've been a casual member, and have never had a need to explore glow plug faults and how to deal with them until recently when the cel came on...my warranty just quit so now I am trying to put my house in order. I'll try not to amaze you in the future. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Well finally changed the glow plugs tonight. Cleared the code and let it run for a couple of minutes and no light so hopefully it was a plug...changed all of them so didn't do an ohm check. I also pulled around on the harness, too, but a new one should come in tomorrow so will replace that. Wow, the plastic housing of the harness just disintegrated in my hands, but worse than that, the foam from underneath the cover had also come apart and was everywhere. I am officially retiring it as of an hour ago...too many things going on under there that need to be seen. Saw an oil seep around the oil filter plate, so it is time to clean it off and start looking things over more often /images/graemlins/wink.gif. Not sure how to judge how bad the plugs were, but a here is a small pic..they looked pretty covered over, though. I started with the th plug on the far right facing the motor, and it was a bit nerve-wracking at first when I started tightening it down. It kept turning and kept turning and I was juuuust to the point of pre-panic thinking I may have stripped it when it snugged up...man oh man was I happy then /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Does anyone use a thread lube on glow plugs? Mine were squealing and seizing as they came out and went in.

"OFF SUBJECT!!" /images/graemlins/smile.gif I know I know....let's see...ok how about this...I checked my radio codes (replacement VW radio with one episode of SAFE behind it but working now) and
it showed "01044-Control Module incorrectly coded 35-00"...huh? The radio works alright..dunno.

The second code was "00852-shareware version". I assume that means there is another code but shareware version of Vag-Com won't tell me about it? Oh well, the car survived my first baby steps with Vag-Com...look out injection timing here I come /images/graemlins/smile.gif

oops...here's the pic old glow plugs

dslemaire

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
I got the same code on my 97 Passat. I checked my glowplugs and they all seem to have the correct resistance. Reset the light and on a cold day outside it came back on. I just removed the harness and cleaned the connectors with a 22 cal brush on my cordless drill. so I'm hoping it's just the harness. It hasn't come back on yet. But I've heard you can get the light if even one of the plugs resistance is slightly different as the computer measures total resistance.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
I read the same thing...that the measurements are made in pairs. Well, drove it a lot today and no glow plug light and it is back to its old self, firing over on the first turn with no stumbling, 22 degrees F at startup. Harness didn't make it in today so I guess Monday evening I will put it on, and hopefully it will go another 107k before it decides to give more trouble.