Alh 5th gear problem

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDi 2013, 6speed Highline. 2003 Jetta TDi station wagon, 5speed
Its 2003 Station wagon 5 speed with just over 400000.
Suddenly my 5 gear pop out and cant stay in even if i force hild it .I did linkadge adjustment with 5mm pin on gear stick but this did not change nothing. All other gears work very nicely but 5th is no more locking in . I noticed that couter balance levar on top of transmission is moving up and down a lot even after tightning 13mm nut holding it .
Looks to me that this is more serious problem. Should i look for another 5 speed transmission or there is a hope with more adjustment i dont know about?
Appreciate any help

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Check the inner cv axle bolts. Make sure they are tight. There should be 6 of them on each inner cv. I had this happen once, couldn’t figure it out in time and the axle came apart.

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
Cv axles check fine . When i drive it or not car goes to gear 5 just as soon as engaged with engine pull ..kicks out from gear .Does it only with 5th gear .Rest of gears hold strong .
Weight levar on top of tranny seems to travel a lot up and down when i move it by hand .Dont know if that's what couse it this 5th gear problem

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
This is not a CV problem. Go to your local junk yard and compare the free play with other transmissions.

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you guys for all suggestions. I checked this "golf club" levar on top of transmission and has lots of movement up and dow and some play side to side . Nut seems to be holding it good just think shaft is little worn . How do i change this shaft ? Levar " golf club" is easy but how do one remove shaft just by pulling it? Need to position it to remove it? Are those shafts same for all mk4 manual transmissions or tdi has different shaft ? Im worried that in my case its more then just this, could be issue with synchro? First of course will change shaft with "golf" weight then see if needs more attention.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just use the search option and Google. Tons of info on this.

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for help and links ...unfortunately dont have vortex account so cant view pictures in this link but will google and maybe get some tutorial video or write up on line

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Thank you for help and links ...unfortunately dont have vortex account so cant view pictures in this link but will google and maybe get some tutorial video or write up on line
I have vortex account and I can't see photos either - appears they're linked to an imageshack account...and account holder didn't pay up, so no longer publicly viewable (or they're just plain gone). :(

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
I know i have to change shift tower on top of my transmission like Nigel suggest it .There is too much play there .Will be going to wreckers over the weekend to sources this tower .Just could not find any tutorial video. Just few pictures. Is that part comes straight up after little prying? Does it come out together with bearing? Has to be in lock position? Do you just push it down transmission when installing .Im sorry for all these questions but want to be sure i dont scew anything up and dont get stuck on driveway .Now i still can drive and all other gears are working very good .

yhmtdi

TDI
'01 Golf TDI, '00 Golf 1.8T
I know i have to change shift tower on top of my transmission like Nigel suggest it .There is too much play there .Will be going to wreckers over the weekend to sources this tower .Just could not find any tutorial video. Just few pictures. Is that part comes straight up after little prying? Does it come out together with bearing? Has to be in lock position? Do you just push it down transmission when installing .Im sorry for all these questions but want to be sure i dont scew anything up and dont get stuck on driveway .Now i still can drive and all other gears are working very good .
You need to disconnect the reverse light switch, shifter cable ends and remove two bolts (13mm I believe) and nut & 'golf club' lever to get it out. Once these are out you will need to give the housing a few taps from below around the edges to loosen it enough pull it straight up and out. Cover the open hole so nothing gets in the transmission while it's out. I've also just removed the nut on the 'golf club' lever and popped the whole 'golf club' lever off with the shifter cables attached and been able to remove the shift tower and replace it that way. I also disconnected and removed the air filter box for access to the shift tower.

I had to replace the shift tower on my 2000 golf due to it's bearing failure, and got a good used one for $35 from Pic'n'Save you pull yard which has been working great for the last 30,000km. I've also replaced the bearing once on my '01 Golf TDI, which is more work, but will likely last longer. The bearing itself is around $25 from the dealer. If you do this you will want to replace the shaft seal as well which is only on the order of $5.

Mark

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
Mark , really appreciate your write up.
Ready to do it over the weekend

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
Is standard open to public now ? I was there couple months ago and was closed due some red tape issues

Tdi Kick

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Sidekick AHU, '05 Passat Variant BHW, '03 Passat Variant BHW 4MO
shift tower

I haven't logged in in quite a while, yet this is important enough for me to post:D

Jaca, when you pull the shift tower, MAKE SURE THE TRANS IS IN NEUTRAL.

I cannot stress this enough. MAKE SURE ITS IN NEUTRAL, or you'll pull the shift keys out of position inside the trans which requires splitting the transmission case to put back together. Also note that there are at least two different castings for the shift tower housing. Make sure you match the right one at the u-pull yard.

I just did this same repair about 3 months ago on the Wifey's golf. Same symptoms, no 5th gear. Simple, straightforward repair.

Good luck!

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Is standard open to public now ? I was there couple months ago and was closed due some red tape issues
There was a fire in the yard back in April. It was closed for some time after that. Not sure when it reopened.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I cannot stress this enough. MAKE SURE ITS IN NEUTRAL, or you'll pull the shift keys out of position inside the trans which requires splitting the transmission case to put back together. Also note that there are at least two different castings for the shift tower housing. Make sure you match the right one at the u-pull yard.
Even if you did manage to get it out in gear you can simply reach inside and push the forks back to neutral. No worries about damage there.

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you everyone for all this help.I guess im unlucky in this simple swap . It was not it .Swap is fairly easy .
Now with solid shift tower still same simptomps. All gears go in nice when car is stopped. When driving all gears work but when switching to 5th hear grinding and cant engage .Engine torque is forcing it out when try to force it in .
Now i know its syncro or fork or who knows .
Question : whats easer and whos done it trany swap or 5th gear with syncro swap ? I know 5th gear is first when remove transmission cover on the side .Woud this be easier job then removing transmission. My clatch is still strong and all other gears work great .

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does it go into 5th wen the engine is turned off? Does it stay in 5th when you restart the engine?

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
All gears engage when engine is stopped or running with clatch pedal pressed .Even i think trying to pull gently when trying to move care from 5th gear . Problem is when car is in motion then i cant switch to 5th gear.Keep forcing out , wont engage. What would be my best option .For now trying not to go on hwys but still going 80kmh on 4th is high rev

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
Problem seems to be when car is in motion .When stopped with engine running i can get it to move on any gear even 5 gear stays in and trying to pull car a little. Just did to test for few seconds ,dont want to burn clatch

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
For swaping 5th gear i would need pullers and torch so im guessing swapping whole tranny will be better and cheaper option im guessing

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes if i had proper puller i could remove 5th gear set from wreckers and install on mine .This would be easiest just would have to get proper puller and if can only remove triple square bolts holding it without impact gun at wreckers