www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old June 6th, 2011, 21:09   #1
Klystron
Veteran Member

Default Hit a Badger with the JSW - Good shop in Houston to fix it ??

Well on my way back from Colorado I hit a badger going about 75mph. The badger hit mostly the the right side of the vehicle and folded the horns back into the windshield washer tank. The badger also managed to crush the condenser and break both electric fans off. I tried to limp it home but after 50 miles the radiator decided start weeping and when the low coolant light came on I had to pull off and get it towed home.

So to those in Houston who do you recommend to put the wagon back together? I was looking at maybe Momentum VW collision, anyone used them ??

EDIT: I was reading on VW's page http://www.vw.com/en/owners_portal/p...collision.html That Archer VW is a certified VW repair facility. Any thoughts on them ?

Last edited by Klystron; June 6th, 2011 at 21:11.
Klystron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 21:27   #2
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

That's one seriously fast badger

Sorry couldn't resist.
Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 21:35   #3
Klystron
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatman View Post
That's one seriously fast badger
Sorry couldn't resist.
It actually took me about 20 minutes to figure out what I had hit. I was describing it to my wife who was sleeping when the "badgering" too place and she started bring up pictures on her phone till finally she showed me a badger.

To add insult to injury not more than ten minutes after the badgering we hit a skunk that did no damage except a horrible smell that stuck with us. I guess the badger and skunk had a suicide pact.
Old June 6th, 2011, 21:40   #4
Bob Sacamano
Veteran Member

Quote:
The honey badger has been referred to, by the Guinness book of world records, as the most fearless animal in all of the animal kingdom. It really doesn't give a ****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg (nsfw - language)

sorry, i couldn't resist either.

Good luck finding someone. I am originally from the area, so i'll make a few calls tonight to see if i can drum up recommendations.

My TDI Pictures and Info

Last edited by Bob Sacamano; June 6th, 2011 at 21:42.
Bob Sacamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 05:26   #5
ToeBall
Veteran Member

To answer the OP's question. I'd go with Deerbrook Collision. I've used them personally for a repaint on my truck before. They're the ones doing the fenders and stuff on my car also. Finally, several local tuners, including Hennessey, use them for the vehicles which are going to be featured in the media. I can't say for others, but unless you specify, Hennessey farms it out to cheaper shops for normal stuff and only goes to these guys with his media cars and personal stuff.

2010 VW JSW TDI "Barley", 6-speed manual, Blue Graphite - 255/40's on 18x8's, Sigma6, B&M Shifter, Malone Stage 2, Koni coilovers w/H&R springs, 28mm front/27mm rear swaybars, GTD Grill, 900W stereo, PDE downpipe, Banks exhaust, APR intake, Votex kit.
ToeBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 10:28   #6
P0234
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 11 JSW

I've learned over the years to take body shop recommendations with a grain of salt, especially from general forums like this one. What seems like a perfect repair to one person will have a nut (like me) attempting to strangle the body shop owner. Quality repairs are few and far between. Go to various places and personally inspect their finished product. Check for overspray, paint texture (smoothness/orange peel) and paint contamination (dust). Autopia.org has regional sections where you can find a good shop for very picky people.

Last, but certainly not least, take pictures of the damage before you take it in to be repaired. This will be very useful when you sell the car, you can re-assure the buyer that the damage was in fact minor and not some major front end collision.
P0234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 01:45   #7
Past_VNE
Veteran Member

P0234, that's all good advice. But, that last suggestion about prepping photos for a future sale is an amazing suggestion. I have tons of photos of the minor and extremely minor accidents we've had in our Jetta and truck. If I ever sell my Jetta while it runs, I will use those.

2012 Tornado Red/Cornsilk JSW 3-pedal, pano, no nav, 13,400 miles as of New Year's.
2001 Jetta TDI 5-spd, chip, turbo, injectors, VR6 brake conversion, Evo SS skid plate, 185k miles
2002 Ford F-250 Power Stroke 4x4 --1988 Ford Thunderbird 5.0L, my first car....highly modded
Past_VNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:47   #8
piney
Veteran Member

Talk to your local Audi or Mercedes dealer and see where they take their cars. The below photo was taken where the local Audi dealer told me they take their cars.

I stopped at this shop yesterday and they were replacing two doors on a new S600 that the dealer's son had clipped a car with. (ouch)

I grew up in the body business and know perfection when I see it. The people that work on high end exotics and are used to working with aluminum and carbon fiber do masterful jobs. If it were my car that needed fixing, that is where I'd take it.

2011 JSW/DSG TDI, Premium Package, 17" Anthracite Goals, clear bra, mud flaps, painted side moldings, 20% tint all around, 30% ceramic on pano, Curt hitch for bike rack, Yakima Skybox 16S on a Thule 450 mount, bumper protector.

Last edited by piney; June 11th, 2011 at 06:51.
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 12:00   #9
Klystron
Veteran Member

Well the insurance company looked at it and the cost is almost $5,000 for hitting a 20-30Lb animal.

They are replacing the radiator, A/C condenser, intercooler, the entire front bumper, windshield washer and tank, both radiator fan motors, and all the plastic parts involved.

After this incident I'm ordering a diesel geek panzer plate. Had I had one the damages would have been much less IMHO.

After driving trucks and SUVs all my life and hitting everything from possums to a elk I never would have thought that a small 20-30lb animal would disable a car and cause so much damage.
Old June 14th, 2011, 15:33   #10
piney
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klystron View Post
Well the insurance company looked at it and the cost is almost $5,000 for hitting a 20-30Lb animal.
This sounds like a grand opportunity to have the factory driving lights installed and even to relocate the front plate, if you have one.

2011 JSW/DSG TDI, Premium Package, 17" Anthracite Goals, clear bra, mud flaps, painted side moldings, 20% tint all around, 30% ceramic on pano, Curt hitch for bike rack, Yakima Skybox 16S on a Thule 450 mount, bumper protector.

Old June 15th, 2011, 19:54   #11
terry mac

Smile

Hit a "gater" in the road last week , first est was $2500 . well see what the insurance co will do friday... thinking about swaping out front end to a CUP tdi?
terry mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 20:01   #12
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post
This sounds like a grand opportunity to have the factory driving lights installed...
Don't they all come with factory headlights?
Old June 15th, 2011, 20:08   #13
piney
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post
Don't they all come with factory headlights?
The JSW doesn't in the USA market. They are a pricey dealer add-on.

Old June 15th, 2011, 20:31   #14
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post
The JSW doesn't in the USA market. They are a pricey dealer add-on.
Strange.....mine came with them.
Old June 16th, 2011, 20:11   #15
piney
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post
Strange.....mine came with them.
You are either really lucky or the dealer added them prior to sale. They run ~700 installed.