splash guard

robinrt

TDI
1999 New Jetta, silver
I have a '99 new jetta TDI, and recently the front splash guard got knocked loose on a chunk of ice and I had to pull it off. The mechanic I use said that it's quite expensive to replace and he didn't feel that I need it. I'm feeling a little nervous about this - worried that ice/salt will damage whatever was being protected under there. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Robin

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
I purchased the splash guards from VWofA (although I haven't installed them yet). I believe they were less than $35/pair.

Installing the front ones seems to be easy. You don't have to remove the tire, just turn them to access the wheel well.

I guess "expensive" is a matter of perspective, and what the per hour labor charge is.

I intend to do it myself. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keli

DIESELprogrammer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Silver/Gray
Imagine what it would look like without the "mud flaps."

They are less than $35 a pair (including tax) from your dealership. The fronts take about 10 minutes each to install and that includes taking time to clean behind the plastic fender liner - something I suggest doing yearly.

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle
Just be sure to thoroughly clean the area between the splash guards and the body occasionally. Dirt, leaves and debris can collect there and foment rust and nastiness. This may mean taking them off and cleaning ocasionally, but it is better than big rusty holes in your fenders.

lojasmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW
I bet you're talking about the plastic belly pan, right? I just destroyed mine in a car wash, and will leave it off until the fall. At that time, I'm going to buy a steel skid plate to REALLY protect the car. IIRC the plast POS bellypan costs about $230 from the dealership, the Metal skidplate costs $350 or so.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Robin, you'll need to clarify whether you are speaking about the vehicle's belly pan (covers entire front underside of car) or the mud flaps that sit to the rear of the front (or rear) wheel openings.

I would use much discretion if you eliminate the belly pan. A few people are now finding that the belly pan helps protect the VNT turbo's actuator mechanism which will get jammed from flying debris. There is another thread going on this very topic.

It turns out that Garrett won't sell a new actuator mechanism which means the owner is going to purchase a new turbo. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

VDubVerruckt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, Reflex Silver
Splash guard are so worth having. I wasn't sure I'd like them, but after putting them on and driving around in snow, it was one of the best investments I've made. I just wish you could buy the clips for the front splash guards seperately rather than having to purchase an entire front set. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle
[ QUOTE ]
I bet you're talking about the plastic belly pan, right? I just destroyed mine in a car wash, and will leave it off until the fall. At that time, I'm going to buy a steel skid plate to REALLY protect the car. IIRC the plast POS bellypan costs about $230 from the dealership, the Metal skidplate costs $350 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]Well, since he quoted a price for a pair of them, I am assuming it is the spalsh guards behind the tires. The belly pan is much more expensive. The cleaning caveat still applies.

[ QUOTE ]
Robin, you'll need to clarify whether you are speaking about the vehicle's belly pan (covers entire front underside of car) or the mud flaps that sit to the rear of the front (or rear) wheel openings.

I would use much discretion if you eliminate the belly pan. A few people are now finding that the belly pan helps protect the VNT turbo's actuator mechanism which will get jammed from flying debris. There is another thread going on this very topic.

It turns out that Garrett won't sell a new actuator mechanism which means the owner is going to purchase a new turbo. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]This is very true about the belly pan. It is not a skid plate, and won't protect against physical dmaage, but it seals pretty nicely on all four sides. It is designed to prevent water, dirt and foreign matter incursion intio the mechanical linkages (as described aboe) and all the sensitive electronics that cover this powerplant. It is highly inadvisable to run without this. Better yet, if you can afford the clearance, get a steel pan and never replace it again.

Mark

1oldfrt

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI, silverstone grey w/moonroof
I'm trying to picture what you are talking about. What I think you mean may be the small black lip attached to the bottom of the front bumper cover. This seems to be a favorite to tear off (I just replaced my rt inner fender) snow and curbs seem to play havoc when you back up. Lots of members here have upgraded this part and you may find a deal on a used one if this is really what you need. If I am totally off base, please excuse me, I may be having a seniors moment.

robinrt

TDI
1999 New Jetta, silver
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YES YES - I meant belly pan! Clearly I have a lot to learn. Okay, I was told it would be about $300-400 for this part and my mechanic said lots of people leave them off when they fall off. However, I am not comfortable with that - don't want to replace anything else on my 101K car which I just replaced the mass air flow sensor on. It seems very unwise to leave the area unprotected - what is unprotected anyway?

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
Alot of people sell their relatively intact belly pans after they upgrade to the steel bellypan.

Keep an eye on the classifieds.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
[ QUOTE ]
YES YES - I meant belly pan! Clearly I have a lot to learn. Okay, I was told it would be about $300-400 for this part and my mechanic said lots of people leave them off when they fall off. However, I am not comfortable with that

[/ QUOTE ]
For that kind of money, you can get either a steel or aluminum skid plate. Either one will offer you protection, which that plastic belly pan does not.

Go to the Classified/For Sale section, Vendor or Group Buy forum, and find the threads regarding the steel and aluminum skid plates.