oil change too much oil my problem?

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
owners manual says 4 qtrs., when I check the dipstick its a qtr. low so I add another to bring it to the fill mark

When I bought the car (05 Passat tdi GL) the previous owner addressed oil leaks by changing the pan and valve cover gaskets.

I changed the tandem pump gasket and all O-rings on the large metal hoses, this took care of all major leaks but one...

I have one leak coming from the inlet hose from the air box to the turbo, which includes the crankcase vent at the top of the valve cover. It leaks right at the turbo inlet (at the hose clamp) then drips down over the exhaust to the tranny then pools up on the ground.

The oil line to the turbo is just fine, the only place I see oil leaking is the hose clamp at the front of the turbo.

Could I possibly have to much oil?

Would I throw a code if the hose has a hole in it where its clamped to the turbo (casual look shows no holes or splits)

Is there a baffle system in the valve cover to prevent this? Maybe a part they left off when they changed the gasket?

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
I'd be interested to know if the catch can works. I seep/leak oil at same spot and was told it's oil vapor from the CCV coming in right above on the air intake hose.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
From the factory they have a clamp on the crankcase vent tube at the valve cover, but not at the end where it goes in at the air inlet (where the breather heater is), and some of them start seeping oil there. Put a clamp on it, and then it seems to take care of it.

Usually this leak is not much of any volume, though. Since there is not really much of any pressure to push it out.

Now what WILL leak oil and blow all over is when the charge air tube's little nubbins that latch on to the retaining bales wear down, and they can wear a tiny hole right in the metal end, right under the nubbin. Then any oil in the crankcase vapor tract once pressurized in the charge air system will be pushed out that hole, and over time will make a mess all over the place.

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks OK. So I've got that clamp added at the air inlet attachment point. Mine seems to seep where the air inlet goes into the turbo. I've tightened that clamp too, but I think it's just gravity doing its thing. Do you see this often?

Are you talking about the charge air tube coming off the turbo or somewhere else in the system? That's where I expected my leak was and even changed that smaller green gasket there. But then I noticed it was coming from above.

It's not much of a leak, just a couple drops occasionally. More than I wanna leave on a friend's driveway though. Probably a good policy to always park on the street anyhow :)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
When your replaced the charge air tube's o-ring, did you inspect those little nubbins? Cannot say I have seen much of anything leaking at the turbo inlet itself, at least nothing of any consequence, but I suppose it is possible. There is no seal ring on that inlet tube, just the clamp and the two little bolts.

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
Can't say that I checked the nubbins. Will get a look next time I'm under there, although I just didn't see any oil on the hose there. (to my surprise, but I changed the o-ring anyhow)

If you don't usually see oil on the inlet, I might just detach, clean, and reseat the thing. Mine is held on with a hose clamp. (turn the screw type thing) Is that the correct style fastener? I never know how tight to go with those, always afraid of hearing the dreaded crack from something when overdoing it!

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
catch can is in will get some pics, not much room to mount it, I fit it right behind the right fog light

required many trips to the hardware store, especially sprinkler section

fire it up tomorrow, I'm worried I may have restricted the flow

added clamp at the bottom turbo intake

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
https://www.flickr.com/photos/37674324@N07/32781855953/in/dateposted-public/

I don't know how much blowby is normal but I did google blowby, my oil cap, when loose, does jump around but not off.

No smoke, the engine was cold when I did it.
Doesn't mean anything. People will run their engines with the oil cap off, see the oily fog that is normal on a TDI and freak out thinking they have blow by that they have to do something about.

I think that a catch can is a solution looking for a problem that for the most part does not exist.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Could I possibly have to much oil?
Check your dipstick.

Would I throw a code if the hose has a hole in it where its clamped to the turbo (casual look shows no holes or splits)
Ah, no. The ECU does not monitor anything to do with the lubrication system. People have this misguided idea that VCDS will magically tell them what is wrong with their car. Very far from the truth. What VCDS tells you is when something the ECU monitors is not what the ECU expects. Once you do have a code, what you do is troubleshoot why the ECU set it.
Id say find and fix your oil leaks. Remember that what the owners manual tells you about oil level is just a rough guess. What the dipstick tells you is the final word on your oil level.

Last edited: