Injector calibration?

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
Who/where is a good place to get sprint nozzles and calibration from. Kerma wants 160 for nozzles and 200 for calibration... I would also need a tune so that is a lot of $$$ to dish out. Is there a cheaper option? Ive done a lot of googling but I like to hear about real experiences from people that have tried it themselves. My car has a stock turbo, g60/vr6 clutch and 11mm pump. Thanks! I also live really close to German Diesel werks in Pennsylvania. I have emailed them with questions and for a quote but havent heard back yet...

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
I got my stuff from Cascade German. I think DFIS is who they use.
Sprint 520s and setup. I got a package with a new turbo, g60 smf, tune, and a few other odds and ends. Stage 4 Malone, injector balance looks good from vag com, iq needed a very slight hammer mod.
An old strut top nut will fit the injectors to pull them. I ground off the nylock stuff and welded a nut to fit my slide hammer to it. Worked great.
No discernible smoke, may need a little tweaking to get everything perfect. Runs great, drive ability is great.
Pm me if you have any questions.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Don't want to start another battle, but Frank06 pop tests them. Cascade German does use DFIS, but does not sell Bosio nozzles (if you are stuck on that brand). Why don't you call your near local guy? Easy to get distracted from email. Also, very good to have a relationship with your local guru.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Falcon,
If you're close to German Diesel, go pay them a visit in person. Good people and VW enthusiasts. You definitely need to establish a good working relationship with your mechanic. The good ones are working on cars, not spending hours in front of a screen answering emails.
Cheers,
R*2

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
All good advice....thanks! KermaTdi just called me back.......and im pretty sure I will never be able to afford power mods for this car lol :( $500 for new nozzles for my injectors and $550 for a tune & loader.... dang! I guess I will just live with the stock configuration for now. I would love to give my car a little boost in hp/tq but there is no way I can justify spending that kinda money!

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Kerma seemed kinda pushy and gave me the impression that they really wanted all my money. I just want to get as much fun for as little money as possible.....like we all do. He wanted my to buy turbos/exhaust/clutches.....the whole 9 yards... and basically said....that anything less than 190hp/300ft-lbs is a waste of money! That really isnt what I was looking for or looking to spend.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
MilleniumFalcon,

What about RocketChip/Jeff Robertson? He's in Red Lion, PA. Not sure how far he is from you. I have RC1+ on my 2005 Beetle (BEW). It really made it peppy BUT I also had to upgrade the clutch as it would slip if I really got on it.

Eric

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
205 section nozzles with an 11mm pump will work just fine for your use. No sense swapping out a perfectly good turbo and clutch and spending thousands on parts you don't need. Those powergate V2s (q-loader, flashzilla etc) can be reset on ALHs by alientech distributors so a rental should have been offered if you're just looking at a single install.

Nozzle install price is pretty universal given that nearly everyone is working through DBW.

Last edited:

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Red line is about 2.5 hours from me... I will have to check out rocketchip.

So, $500 is the going rate for nozzles and assembly???

My car has a brand new Sachs vr6/g60 clutch 21# SMF so i think it should be able hold a little more than stock. I am just looking for a little bump in performance without spending a fortune. I will talk to the guys within driving distance.....Malone also got back to me with some good info.

I really appreciate your input! thank you. I guess I have some decisions to make.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Make sure everything is in good working order in stock form first, then get a tune only and be happy :).

Since you have an upgraded clutch, you can get nozzles without any problem, but get the tune first (more advantages than just nozzles - and less expensive) and if that keeps you happy, you're done.

If you decide you want nozzles later on - most tuners will do an upgrade to the tune for a nominal charge.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Fwiw- My engine is stock except for a Malone Stage 1 tune w/ dynamic EGR...It made a big difference in power and I actually got a slight MPG boost (from low 50 ish to about 52 on my 500 Mile run).

Malone can upgrade a tune for extra $$.... BUT I hear Kerma does upgrades for FREE!

I wish somebody here could do dyno runs and figure out who truly has the best tune...

I like my Malone Tune BUT for about the same $$ Kerma has FREE changes to their tune.

My next upgrade (very soon) will be DLC 1019s

I have 242K on I believe original injectors so Im thinking (or using it to justify) the upgrade in nozzles...

Hope this helps

Andrew

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
I'll add another vote for tune first. I maxed out the stock nozzles and it went from a turd to actually being enjoyable to drive, and that's from a diy tune. I imagine that a better tune/tuner could pull a few more ponies out.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll add another vote for tune first. I maxed out the stock nozzles and it went from a turd to actually being enjoyable to drive, and that's from a diy tune. I imagine that a better tune/tuner could pull a few more ponies out.
Tell me more about this DIY tune...????

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
I'd read through this thread first http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=375099
Theres a lot of good info in there.

I used a clone MPPS cable from amazon and EDC15 suite to to the actual tuning.
Heres EDC15 suite http://chiptuning.pw/vag-edc15-suite-download/
and this is something like the cable I bought https://www.amazon.com/AUTOS-FAMILY...TF8&qid=1490236599&sr=8-3&keywords=mpps+cable

Somewhere there is an actual tuning guide floating around that will more or less step you through a stage one tune. I cant seem to find it right now though. There is a link to it somewhere in that tuning thread.

Obviously the standard disclaimers apply, You could damage the engine but honestly I don't actually know if thats possible with stock hardware. Its not a terribly complicated process but you do need to understand what Is happening before you go playing around too much.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
There is an old hot rodder's saying to the effect of, "The only substitution for cubic inches is rectangular dollars." There are used nozzle/injector combos for sale here every once in a while. You already have a decent clutch, so with a set of .205 nozzles and a Stage 3 tune there will be plenty of power available.
You have an 11mm IP already; that sort of gives you the same amount of fuel as a set of .205's. Get a tune and call it good.

Edit: It should say .205's with an 11mm pump will act more like .216's

I also use TDTuning.

Last edited:

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
I will just keep looking for a set of nozzles I can afford and get a tune here at some point. It helps that I have an extra set of manual injectors from my parts car as a core or for a trade. Thanks for all the advice. I will keep ya'll posted on what I do....

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
This is way over my head.....I will leave this stuff to the pros...:)

I'd read through this thread first http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=375099
Theres a lot of good info in there.

I used a clone MPPS cable from amazon and EDC15 suite to to the actual tuning.
Heres EDC15 suite http://chiptuning.pw/vag-edc15-suite-download/
and this is something like the cable I bought https://www.amazon.com/AUTOS-FAMILY...TF8&qid=1490236599&sr=8-3&keywords=mpps+cable

Somewhere there is an actual tuning guide floating around that will more or less step you through a stage one tune. I cant seem to find it right now though. There is a link to it somewhere in that tuning thread.

Obviously the standard disclaimers apply, You could damage the engine but honestly I don't actually know if thats possible with stock hardware. Its not a terribly complicated process but you do need to understand what Is happening before you go playing around too much.