17/22 Shaft play, need a replacement

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
Just checked my turbo, vnt 17/22 lots of shaft play and need to replace.
What would be a direct plug and play? I'll go vnt 17 if I have to!

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
This is an important question... because there is *supposed* to be shaft play in one axis, since the shaft rides on a film of oil when the engine is running and the turbo bearing is pressurized.

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
I thought my turbo had too much shaft play, but the brand new one had similar shaft play. Although the old one was puking oil it showed minimal wear on tear down, seemed to be more crud built up on the seal ring groove. I'm thinking a couple rounds of some engine flush probably would have cleared it up. Well maintained, in good running condition , but 260k on it I figured it was about done, but no real discernible physical wear on it.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
There is a lot of shaft movement laterally and vertically, after putting it all back together I drov home 10km and got a low boost code and maybe 4lbs boost at the highest. You can hear the turbo, louder than normal but no boost. I pulled all of the IC hoses and IC for cleaning and inspection as I originally thought I had a boost leak.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
Taking it apart

I found a boost leak originally, on the top ic pipe, upgraded SMIC from Darkside. Fixed that, then had what sounded like another, pulled the lower hose off at the IC, about 6oz of oil in the IC, cleaned it out.Pulled the turbo outlet hose off and found a slice in the hose, trimmed it and put a new t-clamp on and drove home 90km, same symptom's started shortly after. Took the car up to my work shop and removed all IC hoses, degreased/cleaned and inspected. Pulled compressor side pipe off and checked shaft play, about 1/8' of play all around, I could pull the shaft laterally as well. There was no new oil in the IC when I removed it. I shot a video on my phone and I'm trying to figure out how to posting here.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Visually that looks like it moves a lot, but if you push it to the side and turn it at the same time, do you hear anything hit/grind/touch? If not, then you're fine.

Taking it apart just included the compressor side plumbing, not the whole turbo so that eliminates a bunch of possibilities. Did the vacuum line to the actuator get bumped or kinked or something maybe?

Just for reference I took a video of my 17/22 with 100k miles on it - not a great video, but something to compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJcwaYQ_grc&feature=youtu.be

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
Sound

Haven't check the vac line but did replace it recently, and yes there unfortunately contact and a funk when I move the shaft lateraly....I really ish mine moved as little as yours in the video. Thanks for the replies and advice.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
To me it looks like excessive up-down play, and if there's any in-out play it's too much too... but if you can get it to clunk against the compressor housing I think you've proven your turbo has gone to turbo heaven.

The good news is that you caught it before the shaft snapped while you were passing someone, thereby potentially triggering a runaway. :)

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Since the compressor housing doesn't seem to have been chewed up, you can likely get the turbo rebuilt for less than $200.00 USD, I don't know what that would be with the current CAN exchange rate though... I have heard there are reputable turbo builders near you, but I don't know what they charge to rebuild a CHRA. Keep us posted.

TBH, if I were you I would get a 56 mm comp wheel put in your current housing and save a bunch of money over a straight-out replacement. The 17/56's have little to no known surge issues. YMMV.

If you have any questions, PM me.

Last edited:

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Haven't check the vac line but did replace it recently, and yes there unfortunately contact and a funk when I move the shaft lateraly....I really wish mine moved as little as yours in the video. Thanks for the replies and advice.
Yeah, if there's contact and it does not turn smooth when side loaded, then I think you've got all the useful life out of it that you can and as Vince mentioned, caught it early enough before any damage was done.

Good luck!

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
why not fit a gtb2056vk ?

its a very nice turbo and makes more hp than any 17/22 turbo

yes its not plug and play so just weld a flange to ehaustmainfold new oil returnline and downpipe

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Not everyone wants to "just weld a flange, new oil lines and downpipe" Most want a bolt in solution with minimal modifications required.

So you either stick with bolt on solutions, pay a premium for a fully developed "kit" that you can bolt on or pay a premium for a shop to fab it up for you.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
Plug n play

I'm not looking to have a race car, just something very fuel efficient and fun.....Most of my driving is highway, so the extra torque is great. Plug and play is EXACTLY what I've looked for!

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
$100.00 for a 56mm 6+6 comp wheel, $100.00 for machining, $100.00 to rebuild and balance, and $80.00 for the rebuild kit, and it is all plug-and-play. But that is just my opinion.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
Rebuilding my 17/22

$100.00 for a 56mm 6+6 comp wheel, $100.00 for machining, $100.00 to rebuild and balance, and $80.00 for the rebuild kit, and it is all plug-and-play. But that is just my opinion.
I'm definitely looking at that! Just have to get it into a place that is reputable and close!