Balance Shaft Delete Kit?

Crewcabdiesel

TDI
2005 Passat
Wife finished off our 2005 Passat TDI, blow by looks like a locomotive, and we went out and found a good used motor to replace it with. With the new used motor I was thinking deleting the balance shaft assy. while the motor is on the engine stand. I see all kinds of prices on kits, what is a good one that will not break the bank?
Thanks
Kyle

Rowingfish87

TDI
04 Passat TDI
Got mine from Aaron at bora parts (now cascadegerman.com) I got the "deluxe" kit with the timing belt components. Just make sure you plug the balance shaft oil supply hole in the block. Hardest part is getting the old gear off the crank.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Go with the ALH style balance shaft delete kit from Bora ( cascade).
Very reputable place to buy parts.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Yep, go with Aaron.

If you have an air hammer, the old gear comes of the crank in about 5 secs.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
You need to get as close to the center of the gear without hitting the crank. You will need to remove the front crank bearing cap for better access. Then turn the crank 90 degrees counter clockwise. Hitting it with a hammer and chisel will take a while as you can't get a full swing at it. I did that on my first couple and then switched to the 5 second air hammer. If you have a compressor go to harbor freight and pick up a cheap air chisel. Otherwise you will be making up new German cuss words......

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
^ This is what I did. removed the front bearing cap and air chiseled it off. As above, be careful not to score the crankshaft.

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A
A word of caution on the install of the ALH windage tray on the BHW. There are no recesses in the passenger side of the oil pan for the tabs that hold the windage tray in place. If you simply place the windage tray in position and install the pan, it cannot set flush to the block to make a seal. The tabs must be trimmed to fit before installing the pan.

Just completed the delete on my son's '05 Wagon yesterday. It ran smoother after the delete and seemed to rev with less effort. Not much of a surprise after seeing for myself what a mechanical monstrosity the BSM is. His car has shed at least 25 pounds of potentially detrimental metal.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes it revs easier AND you should gain 1-2 MPG

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Maybe change tandem pump gasket and the temperature setup while the engine is out.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Can anyone tell me since I have a known good spare ALH parts engine, should I use components off it and source the rest of the delete parts? Is the BRM chain and sprocket better than the ALH? I noticed Cascade sells it as an option in his kits

Last edited:

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I don't know which is better (ALH vs. BRM) perhaps Oilhammer will opine on that. But, to my way of thinking, if your going to all the trouble to do a BSM delete for goodness sake use all new parts, not parts from a used engine.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I used a zip wheel on side grinder to take off old gear. Went about 1/2 to 3/4 way thought then hit with chisel punch and my b.f.h. popped right off. No need to remove main cap. To install i baked new gear at 450 for 15 min then slid on like it was covered in owl poo.

I had an air hammer but lack the cfm on the home compressor to run it.

I think brm supplies more oil pressue or volume than the alh, not necessary for a stock BHW even with stage 2 tune.

Lotawood

TDI
2005 BHW Passat sedan
I used Cascade German for a delete last winter. Happy with their deluxe kit.

I thought the BRM upgrade couldn't hurt supplying more oil to the camshaft. In the kit they both use the same oil pump. The BRM upgrade is a smaller cog that spins the pump faster. Then chain that fits different ratio.

I also put in an oil pressure gauge. I think 20 psi at hot idle is what I see after more than an hour of summer highway driving.

That pesky old gear came off best for me with a hand chisel and BFH. The gear is brittle and a few hits by hand did better than an air chisel here. The hand chisel was pointed straight at the crank to cause a crack on the gear. Perpendicular. The air chisel from the rear at a steep angle didn't work, with the bearing cap off. Did slide any.

I think it helps to have a grinder groove first for the hand chisel to go into. Like PickleRick did.

Suggest an oil pump not a good spot for used parts. I guess good used ALH pump would go for a while though.

Last edited:

ajjw0828

TDI
2005 Passat GLS (5.5.) 2.0L BHW
I just deleted mine and bought BRM kit from Kermatdi.com. Kit was great and it came with the extra bolts for the crank cap and such. Be careful the piston doesn't slide down and get stuck. Had that happen and ended up tearing of the head. Wasn't to bummed though, cause then I got a good look at the piston walls and inspected the cam bearings while I was at it since mine failed while running. Remember to replace the engine mounts while your at it if they're leaking. Also, might want to do timing belt too. Buy one with a metal water pump impeller, like from dieselgeek. I made my own tool to lock the crank out of L channel. Took 10 bucks in L-channel and 20 minutes to drill. Worked great. Good luck!