Used Touareg TDI pricing?

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
Hi - we are considering becoming a single - car family and would like it to be a Touareg TDI.

I have been out of TDIs since 2009 when I bought an Escape Hybrid and while I like it in some respects, fuel economy is totally underwhelming compared to its predecessor, a '96 Passat TDI wagon, as is performance (Passat had 2x oversized injectors, a 2 1/2" straight pipe with no muffler, a Rocketchip program and a VR6 clutch).

Most used Touareg TDIs for sale appear to be listed well above book value whether dealer or private owner. Most reasonable price I've seen to date on something without a gazillion miles is $13,500 for a 2006 with 90k. But this is slightly in excess of the Edmunds' book value for the truck and $3k or so more than KBB for excellent condition. Any thoughts appreciated.

Also appreciated is any feedback on the V10 as opposed to the more-recent 6 cly single - turbo models. With no plans on towing 747s, I realize and would prefer the 6 due to likely far greater fuel and maintenance economies but am likely priced out of the market for a 6 unless anyone can turn me on to one in decent shape in the low 20's or less.

Again all info, advice and opinion appreciated. The Escape has had an intermittent issue with the brake control unit (or something like that) which can run in excess of $4k installed, i.e. what the car is worth; so while it isn't applying the ABS or flashing any CELs right now, I'd like to explore my options.

Thanks for any replies,

T. Rae

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
I would highly suggest holding out for the 3.0....if your struggling to wanna pay for the 3.0 servicing the 5.0 v10 will bankrupt you, they can swallow money like an exotic car.

1 year 50k with my 3.0 and nothing aside from oil and filters...i love this thing so much, the best all around vehicle ive ever been in

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
Thanks, Savageman -

It's been awhile since I modded a TDI - gathering from the description of yours you can mod it as easy as my old Passats -

-Would you say a 3.0 with a few mods is as fun as the V10 without the bankruptcy risk of twin turbos buried under a massive engine?

-Remember I'm driving a mighty Escape Hybrid right now.....anything with a turbo will rock my world, plus since the Escape can pull a pop-up camper, the 3.0 should pull anything I need it to with no problem.

Know anyone that wants to sell theirs?

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
The preliminary 3.0L settlement just came out today so things might take a little while to settle down. IMO V6 TDIs were previously a bit overpriced, possibly affected by the uncertainty of the settlement and a low supply on the market. I'm guessing prices will go up even more given the fairly advantageous terms of the settlement, at least for a while.

Any of those priced in the low $20s were likely early Gen 1 (2009-2010). These are eligible for the buyback and have been mostly snapped up already.

Good luck.

thzpcs

TDI
2008 Golf TDI
The Tregs are great, especially the TDIs, but they definitely aren't the cheapest cars to maintain. The V10s are amazing, but definitely aren't cheap in any sense. Definitely more of a "fun" car than something practical.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks all. No hurry so will wait until if/when a deal comes along.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks, Savageman -

It's been awhile since I modded a TDI - gathering from the description of yours you can mod it as easy as my old Passats -

-Would you say a 3.0 with a few mods is as fun as the V10 without the bankruptcy risk of twin turbos buried under a massive engine?

-Remember I'm driving a mighty Escape Hybrid right now.....anything with a turbo will rock my world, plus since the Escape can pull a pop-up camper, the 3.0 should pull anything I need it to with no problem.

Know anyone that wants to sell theirs?
No problem man...is it as fun? heck yah stock to stock the 3.0 at least in the t3 is quicker....its also more efficeient and its easy to mod...turbo is easy to get to, tune via obd2 and the exhaust all unbolts. Way easier to mod then my mk6 jetta was.

Now compare a modded 3.0 like mine, its a total animal, im talking spin all 4 31 inch bfgs off the line with a bit of brake boost...Ive had a bunch of v8 trucks try and toy with me and this thing flys. Unreal for the weight of it, it gets up and moves.

That v10 is pretty cool, however suffers from a bunch of faults...plus its not nearly as easy to mod or take care of. The v10 is for guys who need the ability to say i have a v10..have more money then they need or just are die hard.

I would have got a v10 but my tuner said he would never talk to me again, Also im the type who would pull the tandem pumps, turbos, cams and all the stuff the v10 is known for failing and replace them...by the time i bought one and did that...plus money to mod it i would have been just as close to my t3 thats way newer and just as strong...Also the 3.0 with exhaust is one of the best sounding diesels made

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
If you're insisting on an SUV, have you considered a CPO MKX by Lincoln? I had a service loaner dropped off when they last took my MKZ in for service. The 2.7 twin turbo is Phenomenal with the AWD and I achieved >22 MPG in the 2 tanks I ran on RUG.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
Hadn't thought of anything by Lincoln - if we go with a single car it needs to be an SUV. Something reasonably sizeable for hauling stuff camping trips, and I'm just wanting to get back into diesels. Started with an 86 Benz 300TDT wagon, had the 2 Passats and a TDI bug before I got the Escape. Diesel from the standpoint of economy for the power, they're easy to modify at least the VWs and well I just liked owning diesels........:cool:

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
Saw a low mileage (42k) 2010 3.0 TDI Touareg on Cars.com or Autotrader - the dealer was asking $29k which was indicated to be about $5k over book - I guess based on some of the previous comments that's not surprising given the buyback.....

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
Not to be traitorous but anyone have any experience/comments regarding BMW X5 35d and Benz ML 350 turbodiesels? They're not as beefy looking as the Touareg, but appear to be at least as big as my Escape or larger and there's a good supply of used ones to pick from, thanks

squeegee_boy

Veteran Member
The market for a 3.0 TDI is likely to be inflated right now with the buy-back/owner compensation deal in the works. If you purchase one right now, I believe you get some of the compensation while the previous owner gets some of the compensation. You would have to figure out whether that offsets the inflated prices current owners are asking. I think the only people selling right now are those that lost a job and can't afford to keep the car until the payout comes through.
A bonus for the 3.0 is that all the emissions stuff, the HPFP, the turbo, and the engine will now all be warranted to 120,000 miles; and this is fully transferrable to subsequent owners.
One big advantage of the V10, or any 1st gen Touareg, is that they are far more offroad capable. They have two-speed transfer cases, optional rear locking differentials, and air adjustable ride height (also offered for one year or so in the 3.0 tdi, but very hard to find). The first generation was a true off-roader while the later versions are just cars on stilts. Not sure why an SUV is necessary for you, but if it's for anything beyond driving over curbs in the mall parking lot, a first-generation vehicle might be preferable.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Everyone says the same thing t3 isnt for off road...blah blah blah...but it does just fine, in fact with differential braking and all the electronic gizzmos it will do plenty off road, still water proof connections, triple sealed doors, high location intake system. Ive done quite a bit of messing around and it has yet to remotely disappoint. Much better off road then a ton of suvs

NoobyT

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
As above, on a good set [and I don't mean extreme either!] of AT tires, a half reasonable driver in a T3/T4 will go most places any T1/T2 can get to with the extra gizmos.

The T3/T4 driver's concern for their car's expensive bodywork is likely to be the stopper rather than the car's off road capability!

Unlike 99.9% of Touaregs, my old T1 was off road every day. On tricky sloping slippery ground I would use Tiptronic to hold a gear but other than that I just left it in D and pointed and squirted.

Once in a while I engaged the gizmo knob to make sure low range was still there but never felt I really needed it.

The T3/T4 is a very capable car.

RSMS

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
04 T-REG V-10 as a driver but too many others to list and always changing
In my opinion the T1 V10 is one of the most capable vehicles on the road. You will hear countless stories from people that don't own one as to why they aren't but I dis-agree. Yes, they potentially can be expensive to keep although in the roughly 4 years of ownership the only repairs I've had to make other than maintenance has been a thermostat. My tandem pump is leaking and that is in the very near future but other than that it's been flawless. Just to share a couple of my real world stories....My buddy was following me thru the back of my farm after a big rain. He was in a Chevy diesel 3500 4x4 dually. He sunk it in my tracks and I had to pull him out. my T1 wears Conti-procontact's as I drive lots of miles on the road every year. They are by no means off road tires. With all the locks engaged in low range out he came with only a couple of light tugs. Same buddy hauls equipment for me and we were on the way back from TN coming into Atlanta, he was pulling my 32' gooseneck trailer fully loaded with a combined weight of about 30k. About 1/2 way up one of the rolling hills his transfer case let loose and he had to pull over on the side of the interstate. I ended up pulling him 7-10 miles with a chain to a truck stop where we could eventually replace the transfer case. No one at the truck stops mechanic shop could believe us that I could pull him and this trailer up the hills to get there. Both of these situations took very little effort as these V10's are low end torque monster. On the highway you will be hard pressed to find a better high speed cruising vehicle as a V10 T1. To each there own, drive what makes you happy but don't doubt what a V10 is capable of.

gdorris

TDI
05 Jetta GLS Wagon TDI, 96 B4V TDI (74K mi.) for sale
Considered a Q5?

Having owned a 2004 V10 Touareg TDI, a 2011 Q7 TDI (3.0l V6) and just recently a 2014 Q5 TDI (3.0l V6), you might want to consider the Q5 if it is big enough for your neeeds. It weighs ~ 900 lb less than a 2006 V-10 Touareg and Malone can tune it to nearly the same stock torque and more HP. I got an indicated 42mpg highway at 60 MPG recently. You can find them for under warranty under $40K and Audi will lay nearly $10k on you when the "fix" it with a reflash within the next few months. I bought mine 5 weeks ago with 64K mi. for $30K sight unseen in AZ, then had it shipped to Olympia. Go with a 2013+ Touareg if you need the marginal extra space, and do not forget to calculate in the $ VAG will refund you. I am not 100% certain that you will get all of the VAG sorry $ on a newly purchased 2013 TDI V6, but you will get at least half, but do your own research on that issue.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks All

Thanks to all -

- Since I don't need serious off-road capability, am fond of reliability, and as finding a 3.0 TDI is about as likely as the kids bringing back a snipe on Thanksgiving, we have just opted for a babied 2012 M-B ML230 Bluetech turbodiesel with 76k and a new rear main seal. While it presently lacks the throttle punch of my Passat and Beetle TDIs it is a 5,000-lb vehicle and I understand there are tuning options available, but that's a topic for another thread.........

.....If I ever get my bills paid, am still having V10 twin turbo dreams........

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Congrats on the pickup! Basically the same motor, turbo, and ECU with a bunch of little differences ;). Tuned a GL350 locally awhile ago, on the initial map it was walking away from me in a K03/K04 ASV mk3 @ 22 PSI. I had to pull over I was laughing so hard.

V10 modifications cost an arm and a leg so totally understand people's apprehension with them. They're absolute monsters though, hilarious story about the 3500 and trailer, bet she didn't even break a sweat.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
Owain where are you located?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
In my opinion the T1 V10 is one of the most capable vehicles on the road. You will hear countless stories from people that don't own one as to why they aren't but I dis-agree. Yes, they potentially can be expensive to keep although in the roughly 4 years of ownership the only repairs I've had to make other than maintenance has been a thermostat. My tandem pump is leaking and that is in the very near future but other than that it's been flawless. Just to share a couple of my real world stories....My buddy was following me thru the back of my farm after a big rain. He was in a Chevy diesel 3500 4x4 dually. He sunk it in my tracks and I had to pull him out. my T1 wears Conti-procontact's as I drive lots of miles on the road every year. They are by no means off road tires. With all the locks engaged in low range out he came with only a couple of light tugs. Same buddy hauls equipment for me and we were on the way back from TN coming into Atlanta, he was pulling my 32' gooseneck trailer fully loaded with a combined weight of about 30k. About 1/2 way up one of the rolling hills his transfer case let loose and he had to pull over on the side of the interstate. I ended up pulling him 7-10 miles with a chain to a truck stop where we could eventually replace the transfer case. No one at the truck stops mechanic shop could believe us that I could pull him and this trailer up the hills to get there. Both of these situations took very little effort as these V10's are low end torque monster. On the highway you will be hard pressed to find a better high speed cruising vehicle as a V10 T1. To each there own, drive what makes you happy but don't doubt what a V10 is capable of.
You're right on all accounts. The T1 V10 is an incredibly capable vehicle in all kinds of different driving situations.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Having owned a 2004 V10 Touareg TDI, a 2011 Q7 TDI (3.0l V6) and just recently a 2014 Q5 TDI (3.0l V6), you might want to consider the Q5 if it is big enough for your neeeds. It weighs ~ 900 lb less than a 2006 V-10 Touareg and Malone can tune it to nearly the same stock torque and more HP. I got an indicated 42mpg highway at 60 MPG recently. You can find them for under warranty under $40K and Audi will lay nearly $10k on you when the "fix" it with a reflash within the next few months. I bought mine 5 weeks ago with 64K mi. for $30K sight unseen in AZ, then had it shipped to Olympia. Go with a 2013+ Touareg if you need the marginal extra space, and do not forget to calculate in the $ VAG will refund you. I am not 100% certain that you will get all of the VAG sorry $ on a newly purchased 2013 TDI V6, but you will get at least half, but do your own research on that issue.
I agree, altho the q5 and t3 touareg are almost the same size...very little different.

However i do agree the v10 is wicked but with a simple couple mods the v6 is not only more efficient it can also slam out more hp and tq. Mine is pushing plenty more hp then stock and considering the t3 is lighter it was already faster then a v10 stock...now its no comparison....now package that with a far better handling and lighter chassis and better 8 speed transmission its a win win...better mpg as well.

I have no doubt in my mind a tuned/deleted and bigger turbo can do everything a v10 can and with no major repair issues to look forward to and much simpler design

VeeDubTDI

TDI
LOL @ your list being a couple of simple mods. :eek: I'm sure it pulls like a freight train though... that's pretty awesome. :D

RSMS

TDI
call me crazy as many have but I actually much prefer driving the T1 just because it's heavier. It has a much more solid and reliable feel on the highway at speed. It really has no need (atleast for me) to be mod'ded. I use the T-reg as a daily commuter/road car. Although a T-reg is suited for higher speed cruising it would never be my choice for when the need for speed if felt......I drive my other V10 for that. I did watch savage's video of his and it did look pretty impressive I must admit. I think his set up would be a lot of fun in a Cayenne as they are much more nimble feeling.

RSMS

TDI
I don't have the link anymore but I'm sure he will chime in shortly

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
LOL @ your list being a couple of simple mods. :eek: I'm sure it pulls like a freight train though... that's pretty awesome. :D
How is it not simple? turbo is 3 bolts and maybe an hour to swap....exhaust was harder but still all came off with clamps and bolts..tune via obd2 and 2 screws and 3 mins to change the maf sensor
call me crazy as many have but I actually much prefer driving the T1 just because it's heavier. It has a much more solid and reliable feel on the highway at speed. It really has no need (atleast for me) to be mod'ded. I use the T-reg as a daily commuter/road car. Although a T-reg is suited for higher speed cruising it would never be my choice for when the need for speed if felt......I drive my other V10 for that. I did watch savage's video of his and it did look pretty impressive I must admit. I think his set up would be a lot of fun in a Cayenne as they are much more nimble feeling.
the t3 may be lighter then a t1 but by no means is it not heavy...its still one of the heaviest suvs and feels incredibly planted and nimble....that video was old and had stock turbo. The cayenne is the same chassis, aside from sway bars it handles nearly the same....I use my t3 as my daily and tow rig, just because it is fast doesn't mean that was my intention...my intention was to free up the engine to increase mpg and engine life.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Well when you put it like that, I guess it is simple. :)

RSMS

TDI
My wife drives a cayenne as her daily driver and I've driven multiple others, the Porsche drives like a Porsche and not like a T-reg. A much sportier feel. Both chassis drive nicely but they definitely have a different feel.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
My wife drives a cayenne as her daily driver and I've driven multiple others, the Porsche drives like a Porsche and not like a T-reg. A much sportier feel. Both chassis drive nicely but they definitely have a different feel.
The Porsche is a scalpel while the Touareg is a sledgehammer.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I think the T3 weighs in at 5,000lbs. That's pretty heavy in my book. What does the T1 V10 weigh in at?