Canadian Review 2017 VW Golf Sportwagon Alltrack

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
You could get a BMW 3 series xDrive28d wagon in Canada right now.

If they offered the Alltrack, it would probably cost about the same. In Deutchland a moderately configured one is about $45,000 CDN.

Whatever a Golf R costs in Canada, I bet it would be right around that price.

The BMW is around $49,000, so right in the same ballpark, but they actually sell it here.

Last edited:

Ruso Turisto

TDI
2015 MK7 Wagon Highline 6 speed MT

If they offered the Alltrack, it would probably cost about the same. In Deutchland a moderately configured one is about $45,000 CDN.

The BMW is around $49,000, so right in the same ballpark, but they actually sell it here.
I would have to disagree, The MK7 Golf R costs $40k right now with the DSG in Canada. The alltrack has to be just below that fully optioned to stay competitive in the segment. Otherwise, people will turn around and go by Audi Allroad or the mentioned BMW.

kamkam

TDI
2012 vw golf wagon tdi highline

I don't have a local BMW dealer... nearest one is probably 4 hours away so I don't even consider that brand...although if I lived near a dealer, I would consider it...

With respect to the Golf R, I would rather have the Alltrack for the slightly greater ground clearance vs the higher horsepower engine...

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would have to disagree, The MK7 Golf R costs $40k right now with the DSG in Canada. The alltrack has to be just below that fully optioned to stay competitive in the segment. Otherwise, people will turn around and go by Audi Allroad or the mentioned BMW.
I think they don't sell it in North America because they can't meet that price target. If they have to charge the same price as the BMW, they're not going to try to compete in that space.

doctorkb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
Mike: the Alltrack is coming to our shores, but it has been confirmed that the first generation to get here will NOT be TDI. Apparently the AdBlue tank gets in the way of where the all wheel drive hardware needs to be.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)

Let's be realistic for a moment. VW sells a $30k CAD 4Motion Tiguan in Canada, assembled in Wolfsburg. The Alltrack isn't going to contain much more content than that Tiguan and will be built in Mexico. Look for the Alltrack to start around $30,000 CAD and top out at $35,000 or $36,000.

In the US, 4motion is a $2,000 USD add on to a Tiguan. Take a Golf TSI SEL and add $2,000 for 4Motion, $1,000 for the lighting package, and $750 for body clading, a one inch lift, misc stuff and it should be close. Anything much more places the Alltrack into competition with better appointed vehicles.

doctorkb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
Ultimately, these are reviews of the German version of it.

And as we all know, the models on that side of the pond are drastically different from what we see here.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mike: the Alltrack is coming to our shores, but it has been confirmed that the first generation to get here will NOT be TDI. Apparently the AdBlue tank gets in the way of where the all wheel drive hardware needs to be.
Well I'd like to tell them "No thanks."

Without a diesel engine, they can keep it.

Ruso Turisto

TDI
Let's be realistic for a moment. VW sells a $30k CAD 4Motion Tiguan in Canada, assembled in Wolfsburg. The Alltrack isn't going to contain much more content than that Tiguan and will be built in Mexico. Look for the Alltrack to start around $30,000 CAD and top out at $35,000 or $36,000.
In the US, 4motion is a $2,000 USD add on to a Tiguan. Take a Golf TSI SEL and add $2,000 for 4Motion, $1,000 for the lighting package, and $750 for body clading, a one inch lift, misc stuff and it should be close. Anything much more places the Alltrack into competition with better appointed vehicles.
X2
Well I'd like to tell them "No thanks."
Without a diesel engine, they can keep it.
Have you tried the new 1.8 Turbo? Its gem of an engine. Of course, the TDI would be the perfect fit for Alltrack, but the 1.8T is not that far off.

Ruso Turisto

TDI
Isn't the 1.8T the one that VW felt the need to put the Soundaktor on?
haha, I had to google that one. I've actually driven the MK7 Sportwagon with the 1.8T and 6 speed auto, basically, the engine/tranny combo that will be on the Alltrack next year. The sales guy let me redline it a few times and it was actually fun to drive at the limit, plus the IRS helped somewhat with hard cornering and the Alltrack will have the Haldex all wheel drive system. I might even consider it as the STi replacement.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
X2

Have you tried the new 1.8 Turbo? Its gem of an engine. Of course, the TDI would be the perfect fit for Alltrack, but the 1.8T is not that far off.
Doesn't matter. If it's not diesel, that opens up a lot of other choices in the market. I'd buy something else.

kamkam

TDI
The Canadian review of the alltrack indicates that a TDI is a possibility in Canada but hasn't been confirmed yet...

doctorkb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
I recall reading some official VW press release that said it would only be available as a gasser.

I hope I'm wrong, but...

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Vehicle marketing departments have learned something. Create a rumour of an upcoming diesel model and the internet goes crazy with people talking about it.

When they say "This model will have diesel, but not until next year," what they really mean is "Notice our boring car, give up waiting for the diesel version, and buy the gasoline powered model."

I'm not falling for it anymore.

Take the Chevy Colorado diesel truck for example. The new model of the Colorado came out in 2014 as a 2015 model. They said a diesel is coming in the 2016 model. Well, someone at work wants to buy one, so he went to a dealer and they told him it's not coming until late 2016.

Excuse me? Late 2016? So that's a 2017 model then? I just lost interest. They'll quietly cancel it or maybe in late 2016 they'll say it's coming out in late 2017 or 2018, ad nauseum.

Remember the Mazda CX-5 diesel? That was due in the fall of 2013, and everyone was interested. Then they delayed it to April 2014. Then they cancelled it.

So if VW is saying a diesel Alltrack is coming, pardon me for not believing them. As for it maybe coming to Canada, that's total BS. Canada has the same emissions requirements as the USA, so it will require AdBlue and the big huge tank that VW engineers apparently aren't capable of finding a location for...or so the story goes.

The diesel Alltrack is not coming. Forget about it.

SpecialTest

TDI
'15 GSW TDI S
If they couldn't find room to fit IRS and the AdBlue tank on the SportWagen, how in the world could the find room to fit the AWD system, the IRS, and the AdBlue? That's my main reasoning for why I don't believe a diesel AllTrack will exist.

kensic

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
how sweet would it be that (since they aint giving us TDI) they will put the 2.0L TSI in here (detuned GTI version engine).

things I like,

-cloth/squade seats.
-8" screen
-Electronics ebreak
-the slim splastic above the wheel wells.
-wheels (but looks hella heavy)
-the USB port!!!!!

Last edited:

doctorkb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
isn't 2017 model golfs are going to be MK8 generation?
First I've heard of that.

We only had 2015-2016 as the Mk7, so I suspect there are still a few years left of the Mk7 (at least in NA).

The current Googling shows that it may be 2018 (in Europe) that sees the Mk8 (really Mk7 version 2 -- MQB platform still).

kamkam

TDI
First drive of the Alltrack VW wagon (Europe's version)... nothing confirmed on engines yet or pricing.... too early... just have to wait and see... Personally, I think that VW engineers will eventually figure out how to combine a diesel with the AWD... may not be in the next year but if they want to differentiate the Alltrack from the Subaru outback, the diesel engine would be a great way to do so....

http://www.autos.ca/first-drives/first-drive-2016-volkswagen-golf-alltrack/?all=1

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
Remember the Mazda CX-5 diesel? That was due in the fall of 2013, and everyone was interested. Then they delayed it to April 2014. Then they cancelled it...

...So if VW is saying a diesel Alltrack is coming, pardon me for not believing them. As for it maybe coming to Canada, that's total BS. Canada has the same emissions requirements as the USA, so it will require AdBlue and the big huge tank that VW engineers apparently aren't capable of finding a location for...or so the story goes.

Mazda never claimed to bring a diesel CX-5 to the states. They did say the 6 was going to get the diesel and claimed latter to have difficulty. Nor did VW ever claim that the Alltrack diesel was coming to North America. Magazines have made claims or suggestions but not VW.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mazda never claimed to bring a diesel CX-5 to the states. They did say the 6 was going to get the diesel and claimed latter to have difficulty. Nor did VW ever claim that the Alltrack diesel was coming to North America. Magazines have made claims or suggestions but not VW.
CUT AND PASTE DIRECTLY FROM MAZDA OF CANADA WEBSITE:

Coming soon, the SKYACTIV-D 2.2 L twin turbo diesel delivers the driving performance of a 4 L V8, the cleanliness of the latest clean gasoline engines, and the fuel economy of a hybrid.
The SKYACTIV-D diesel engine is 30% more fuel efficient than comparable gasoline engines, with much more torque and power.
The SKYACTIV-D has the lowest compression ratio of any diesel in the world - 14.0:1 - creating an exceptionally clean use of fuel. The SKYACTIV-D meets the highest emissions standards without the need for a nitrogen oxide after treatment system.
Using a lighter crank and pistons and an aluminum block, the SKYACTIV-D engine weighs 10% less than conventional diesel engines - contributing to the vehicle's nimble handling and fuel economy.
http://www.mazda.ca/MciWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=innovationSkyactiv (scroll down a bit) If you ask them anything about it, I bet they remove this from their website and pretend it never existed.

So yes, they DO claim a diesel is in the works in North America (if they sell it in Canada I'm sure it'll be compliant with US emissions too...they're basically the same) but WHERE IS IT?

"COMING SOON" ..... Sure thing... Okay, it doesn't say CX-5, but if they put a diesel engine in anything I'll eat my hat.

I stopped believing them about a year ago.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
CUT AND PASTE DIRECTLY FROM MAZDA OF CANADA WEBSITE:

http://www.mazda.ca/MciWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=innovationSkyactiv (scroll down a bit) If you ask them anything about it, I bet they remove this from their website and pretend it never existed.

So yes, they DO claim a diesel is in the works in North America (if they sell it in Canada I'm sure it'll be compliant with US emissions too...they're basically the same) but WHERE IS IT?

"COMING SOON" ..... Sure thing... Okay, it doesn't say CX-5, but if they put a diesel engine in anything I'll eat my hat.

I stopped believing them about a year ago.
No one is disputing that Mazda stated they were working on a N.A. diesel. What I take exception to is what you said. You claim that they stated that it was going into the CX-5. They never said that.

There is a distinction between reading something and reading into something. You've added context that was never stated by Mazda. Maybe your disappointment is partly based upon things you read into the record that were not there.

I'm as disappointed in VW's lack of leadership and timidity in North America. Mazda can't afford to take the risks that VW can yet Mazda seems to be making bolder moves. That being said, don't give them criticism for what you think was going to happen; criticize them for not living up to their word.

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^ Oh yeah, my mistake, it was the Mazda 6 that they were BS'ing us about.

I'll believe it when I see one on the road.

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
I will trade my Passat TDI for an Alltrack once everything is sorted at the end of this month ,