Heat Only on Driver Side - clogged heater core

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
Was at MAG today with our '14 Tdi Passat. Gave me that line as well.
Call VW customer care. the more folks that call, the more likely it is they will figure out what is wrong. Plus they are covering these issues pretty reliably.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Photos of the degraded oil cooler have me wondering. Somewhere there's a commonality and a reason. To be honest I'm leaning toward electrolysis right now. Our heater core is seemingly the most delicate component in the system and prone to showing damage before other components. I'm worried that it's really just the canary in the mine and harbinger of things to come.
:confused: I must have missed the photos of the degraded oil cooler.

cappyd892

TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
I believe I have this same heater core problem on my 2013 Passat 53,000 miles. I took it into the dealer today and I was told they have heard of the problem and went on about the parts on back order but they must do diagnostics testing to determine the problem before anything can be said, so that is scheduled for next week. I asked about the VWoA covering the costs but was told they've never heard of them covering it 100%.

Who do I need to call to try and get my car covered as well? Thanks

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Sometimes I have to wonder. Given the above it would appear that dealers have next to no connection with VW, except to sell their cars. They don't know about freezing door locks, failed heater cores are a mystery, and the list goes on. At least they claim so. I think most of us know better.

So here we have a NMS with little or no heat on one side and the dealer insists on diagnosis for which I suspect there will be a fee. I would think that no heat IS the diagnosis and one phone call by a supposedly ignorant dealer to VW Corporate should clear things up pronto.

Right now there are three NMS and one JSW in our fleet. They follow a long line of previous VW's. The '10 JSW has required an O2 sensor, but has otherwise been a great car. Our NMS cars, unfortunately, have been more delicate. My '13 replaced by VW with a '14 because of a massive turbo failure. My son's '13 with a blown turbo and freezing locks. My '14 with freezing locks and now a failed heater core. Truthfully, if I had to return my car to a dealer instead of doing my own work, the car would have been traded long ago. But...

My '14 SE is an absolute joy to drive. With winter fuel and snows all around it's not unusual to see 50 mpg. (My son says the car is an anomaly.) Handling and ride is superb as is comfort... When the heater is working that is. Maintenance, other than the aggravation, really has cost very little.

The bottom line for me is that I accept the fact that the Passat is by no means without flaws. It's, in fact, somewhat delicate. Passat demands attention and can be frustrating. In return Passat has its virtues and rewards. For me the rewards justify the extra attention demanded. This is not to mean that while I'm upside down in the foot well changing out a failed heater core that a Honda or Toyota didn't begin to look pretty good. Such is life I guess.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
im right there with you Nord, I have a friend who was a service writer for Audi and they are solely kept focused on customers- They see trends and things but that's it- never an official "we got this issue going on" from VAG
I too have always had a diverse fleet of rigs and this NMS is one fragile ride indeed, but I love the MPG and the ride quality is true VW! I grew up riding Honda bikes, quads, and then cars and the level of perfection is amazing.
This whole heatercore+oil cooler thing is ultra strange, iv picked up decade old used rigs from family and friends that haven't ever had a coolant change and the system was gunk free. I honestly think we will see a G14 coolant very soon- something somewhere is reacting with the ACID organic compound in this coolant- its like history repeated itself from GM dexcool issues of the 90's were the exact same thing happened to iron block GM engines using at the time "new" OAC coolants

mafrif

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 6MT
I took mine in for diagnostics on Monday. Heater core plugged, dealer recommend replacement at $700. I declined and said I would be calling VW. I called customer care and told them I was looking for some help with the repair cost. The district manager called the next day and said everything will be covered 100%. I asked if that included flushing to get all of the contaminates out so it doesn't happen again, she said that everything would be covered and said we both have the same goal (it doesn't happen again). Said heater cores are backordered and wasn't sure when it would be in.

VW pulls through again. I am impressed with there support after the warranty is gone.

I did think it was interesting when I called in the first time they asked me how many VW's I have owned. Must be trying to keep regular customers happy.

Edit. 2013 with 70k.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
that's awesome! Wish I had the same luck with my water filled headlight even when the car had only 15k on it with the bulb out warning they declined it :(

eric9603

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Add me to the list of those with the heater core problem! Noticed it two days ago when I felt warm in the drivers seat, but my right side felt really cold. Sure enough, cold air from the passenger side. Called my dealer who wants to do the diagnostics and then call VW on my behalf to try and get it covered. He also confirmed nationwide backorder with "no ETA". I have a 2014 TDI SEL Premium with 42k.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Add me to the list of those with the heater core problem! Noticed it two days ago when I felt warm in the drivers seat, but my right side felt really cold. Sure enough, cold air from the passenger side. Called my dealer who wants to do the diagnostics and then call VW on my behalf to try and get it covered. He also confirmed nationwide backorder with "no ETA". I have a 2014 TDI SEL Premium with 42k.
What diagnostics? The heater core is plugged, isn't that enough? Hope he don't scan your car and charge you $100+.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
We should have a sticky, stating: "NMS Passat owners with heater core problems: DO NOT pay for a needless "diagnostic" service charge when you notice reduced/no heat on the passenger side of the cabin."

Av8r3400

TDI
2012 Passat, 2001 Jetta
Count my LEMON Passat in the group for a clogged heater core, too.

After three turbos and now this in less than 60k miles, this piece of crap car is down the road.

Talking to the tech, service writer and service manager, I have gotten them to take this to VW and mine will be paid for. However, the cores are back ordered for several weeks, obviously for a widespread issue. So my wife drives a $30,000 car, in northern Wisconsin, with no heat because they won't cough up a loaner!

Crap fuel mileage, repeated turbo failures, emission scandal which has ruined any value the car had, now heater cores that plug because of bad chemistry on the VW mandated coolant. I'm out. After 30 years of driving VW diesels this is my last one. I was going to keep on for the length of the warranty (120k) but I doubt this car will make a couple of weeks with me.

IMO VW has jumped the shark. The fan-boys can have 'em.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Count my LEMON Passat in the group for a clogged heater core, too.

After three turbos and now this in less than 60k miles, this piece of crap car is down the road.

Talking to the tech, service writer and service manager, I have gotten them to take this to VW and mine will be paid for. However, the cores are back ordered for several weeks, obviously for a widespread issue. So my wife drives a $30,000 car, in northern Wisconsin, with no heat because they won't cough up a loaner!

Crap fuel mileage, repeated turbo failures, emission scandal which has ruined any value the car had, now heater cores that plug because of bad chemistry on the VW mandated coolant. I'm out. After 30 years of driving VW diesels this is my last one. I was going to keep on for the length of the warranty (120k) but I doubt this car will make a couple of weeks with me.

IMO VW has jumped the shark. The fan-boys can have 'em.
Mine's clogged at 22K and no heater cores here either. When I spoke with the dealer, they said they did not know of the problem. What? :confused:

Once dieselgate is over, this VW veteran is right behind you going out the door.

eric9603

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
What diagnostics? The heater core is plugged, isn't that enough? Hope he don't scan your car and charge you $100+.
It sounded like just a formality so that he could get the heater core on order for me. He has the TSB and knows that is the problem. I don't believe they plan to charge anything, but I will certainly verify that!

dr2152

TDI
2013 Passat SE
The dealer said they had to do a chemical flush on mine to get the system clean. Hope they got it clean. I'll take a sample and see if anything settles out.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
Dealer called yesterday. They "power flushed" the system with a "coolant mix" and have pulled the EGR cooler to replace it. I asked what the quoted terms above meant and he didn't really know. After talking with someone he said they hooked up a pump to the coolant system to power flush it with some kind of chemical added to the coolant. I asked it they noticed anything in the coolant that came out but he was clueless, said no. They are holding the EGR cooler so I can look at it (don't know if I will be able to see anything) and are installing the third heater core today. Hopefully I can pick it up this afternoon. I've been telling them every time I talk to them that they need to inspect the other cooling system components (rad, oil cooler, inter cooler) but they just mod their heads and then don't do it. I also asked if they had checked them system for electrolysis or current leaks and the response was "no, we haven't seen any leaks". I clarified electrical current leaks and he did not have a clue. So da#n frustrating to watch them put all this time and money into it and not actually take the extra step to maybe figure it out.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
You have to understand what you're dealing with... Or who you're dealing with. Dealerships are about the bottom line. Techs are about completing a flat rate job in as little time as possible. As long as the dollars are flowing there's no real incentive to go looking for problems, or finding solutions for that matter.

Then there's the matter of technical expertise and a thorough understanding of all the systems within a vehicle. It's very seldom that you find a person who's well rounded enough to really be qualified as a master tech.

Proper diagnostic tools are a further problem. The average shop doesn't have the capability to chemically diagnose coolant or look for signs of electrolysis. Unfortunately most tech wouldn't understand the results even if they had them in hand.

And this is why the "shotgun approach" we see so often. Fix the obvious without much regard to fixing the root problem. I've actually been toying with dropping a small zinc anode with a ground strap into the coolant reservoir. Any sign of erosion would quickly point to electrolysis. If so, then why? And why more so on some cars than others?

And if my suspicion is even remotely correct, then a single small gauge strap from the heater core to the engine block would very likely end the misery.

cappyd892

TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
I took mine in for diagnostics on Monday. Heater core plugged, dealer recommend replacement at $700. I declined and said I would be calling VW. I called customer care and told them I was looking for some help with the repair cost. The district manager called the next day and said everything will be covered 100%. I asked if that included flushing to get all of the contaminates out so it doesn't happen again, she said that everything would be covered and said we both have the same goal (it doesn't happen again). Said heater cores are backordered and wasn't sure when it would be in.

VW pulls through again. I am impressed with there support after the warranty is gone.

I did think it was interesting when I called in the first time they asked me how many VW's I have owned. Must be trying to keep regular customers happy.

Edit. 2013 with 70k.
I just called Customer Care as well and they told me since my car is completely out of the warranty 53k that they cannot provide me with any assistance. I don't understand how they can do this for some who have more miles than I do and then tell me that? Any recommendations what I should do?

I also have it scheduled for diagnostics on Wednesday 27th

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I just called Customer Care as well and they told me since my car is completely out of the warranty 53k that they cannot provide me with any assistance. I don't understand how they can do this for some who have more miles than I do and then tell me that? Any recommendations what I should do?

Call them again and ask them that question. Be prepared to cite an example.

mafrif

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 6MT

You have to have the diagnostics done before you can ask for help. When talking to them I mentioned that all regular maintenance had been performed and there is no recommendation for maintenance on the cooling system. At 70k there is no reason that there should be a coolant related problem and its apparent its a manufacturer defect.

I made quite a stir when my turbo went bad so maybe that was still in my file.

Good luck.

Cashcropin

TDI
2014 Passat tdi se dsg
Tdi Passat diagnosed wth plugged heater core on Friday Volkswagen is going to let us know on Monday if the will cover the repair they did cover the $135 charge to diagnose the problem . Searching online for similar problems 6.0 liter powerstroke had a problem with the egr cooler heating the coolant so hot that it caused the coolant to detoriate to the point it would leave a sludge that would plug the heater core could this be happening to these engines ?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Tdi Passat diagnosed wth plugged heater core on Friday Volkswagen is going to let us know on Monday if the will cover the repair they did cover the $135 charge to diagnose the problem . Searching online for similar problems 6.0 liter powerstroke had a problem with the egr cooler heating the coolant so hot that it caused the coolant to detoriate to the point it would leave a sludge that would plug the heater core could this be happening to these engines ?
How many miles on your Passat?

Mudbone17

TDI
2013 VW Passat
Mine (at 80k) has this issue too. I go to the shop on Wednesday assuming I can get out of the driveway (I live in Central Virginia).

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup

I cant ever seem to get any help like you. I think its my young age. No matter what dealer Ive been to and how polite I am they wont budge off the out of warranty card on the multiple low mileage failures on this car. Its not right, I bought a brand new car just like everyone else. Ive seen people get clutches and heater cores warrantied here out of mileage

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
im right there with ya, took my 1 month old car in with water in the headlight (broken seal somewhere) and they stated its normal- been pulled over once due to the dim lighting- vw cc wouldn't budge. its still full of condensation with the bulb out warning on the dash.
Now take my 1990 Toyota that blew a head gasket at 105K miles in 1999 they covered everything in full, even gave me a short block for free- still on the road (and sig) today starts up and runs perfect- oh and has perfect heat too ;)

AJM

TDI
A6
Did my heater core replacement and wanted to give some feedback for those who are going to attempt this replacement on your own.

Drain and flush the coolant system multiple times with 50/50 VW antifreeze. I had to do this 5 times until the coolant was clear and pink with no sediment.

I flushed the new core before I installed it.

Please note that the tubes from the firewall to the heater core are extremely hard to separate. I could not get the tubes to pop free so I had to cut the heater core lines then twist them off. Be extremely cautious when doing this as not to cut or damage the firewall tubes or any other wires around the heater core.

Good luck if you replace it yourself.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
are you draining the rad from the elbow halfway up the passenger side? The lack of a nice Honda style Petcock bugs the * out of me. when I mixed my fresh coolant in a huge glass jar I noticed solids in the new stuff :confused:

toddac

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
2014 Passat TDI SE in for Heater core (41K miles)

So-
I've been a silent reader since November when I realized my heater wasn't working. I took it in to the VW dealer that has done all my work since I bought it (bought it at a diff dealer another 39 miles further away).

I found this site and read through the 7 or so pages that was back in November 2015 while the car was in the shop. I had a pretty good idea what was going on when the service dept called me back. Blocked heater core. I had found the TB by then and read some of it back to her. She said it didn't mean it was a recall - which by now with the 20+ pages on this - I think it should be. I think the one post about the cold air sloshing around in the footwell hit it right on the nose. I had felt that cold air when going around corners and never figured out what it was. sometimes I even check the windows and doors to see if they are fully shut. Someone was spot on when they outlined that description.

I wrangled out of a diagnostic fee and was pretty upset when she said they wouldn't release the car w/o payment. I told her I wasn't paying VW for anything on that issue and since I was just shy of my 40K DSG service coming up, and hadn't received the goodwill credit yet, that I was just going to wait. I have an extended warranty (5 years/100K) and I had to go through finding out all about the small print on how it works and had to get the selling dealership to provide a verbal waiver to the warranty company (not VW) to authorize my repair. She said it would be $100 deductible + the extended warranty wouldn't cover the chemical flush of $60. So, being pretty ticked off and now late in the day and I needed a way home from work, I told her to hold off on everything. I thought my extended warranty was through VW. I had no idea it was a 3rd party. That warranty company also has a weird rule that if the dealer that is doing the work is less than 40 miles away from the selling dealer, they won't approve the repairs (unless you call the selling dealership and plead them to call and make an exception for you.) What a hassle. But for those of you facing $750 to get your heater fixed, I guess I should get some cheese to go with my w(h)ine). :)

So - fast forward, I got the VW goodwill credit ($500 VW credit/$500 Visa) and scheduled my 40K service in late December 2015. The same service rep told me that now the O-rings or gaskets were on a national back order for the heater core. She said they had the core at the dealership, just not the pieces to install it with.

Present time - Middle of last week, Jan 21st, I got a call that they were ready to replace everything and had the parts in. I was still facing $160 out of pocket to get it replaced under my extended warranty. I came back to this site and tried to make a comment but moderator took 2+ days to approve my account (which was odd). I called VW of America and opened a case and they verified with the local VW shop that I had my service done there and they (VW) now knew about my extended warranty. I told her I wanted VW to cover all out of pocket, $100 deductible and the flush. She said they would and called the dealership back.

So - today, I'm at the office waiting for them to call me back when the car is done. I dropped it off at 8am this morning to get the heater core replaced. My TDI now has 41.8K on it. I verified with the girl at the desk that I shouldn't have any out of pocket at the end of the day and don't have to use any of my remaining VW $500 visa card to pay for it and she confirmed that for me.

I don't mean to be long winded, but wanted to take time to let some of you know my process as I've worked through it. They are going to put G13 coolant back in. I asked if the part number ended in a "B" and she couldn't tell me for sure.

Everyone on this forum has been very helpful and I appreciate the brains and the time people take to share. I've definitely benefited.

What I still can't comprehend is in May 2015, my NADA was about $26K, I checked in Sept 2015 and NADA (when the TDI emissions scandal broke) then showed $23K, October 2015 $22K and I had a chance to lower my loan rate and refinance it 2 weeks ago and bank said NADA was showing $18.5K for the car. ouch, I owe more than that, which wasn't the case in May 2015 last year when my loan balance was less than market value. I was out the door with the extended warranty about $32K in October 2013. I know VW will never compensate me for the huge loss in market value and that just sucks. That's almost 50% of my total out of pocket costs in barely 2 years. I was planning on at least 5 years with this car and 100K miles before I considered selling it but planned on a high value retention, now I'll probably have to keep it until the wheels fall off just to get any remaining value out of it. And that's not knowing what the actual fix will be for the 2.0 TDI as far as performance and MPG. Ugh, what a crappy situation VW! Sorry for the soap box.

-Good luck to those with heater problems still. This site will give you as much information as possible to get you the help you need aside from calling a lawyer. Thanks again.

Last edited:

toddac

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Fixed and back from dealer

Ok-

Things look like it might be going my way for once. Just picked up my '14 Passat TDI from the dealer. Heater core has been replaced and $0 out of my pocket.

Here are the work notes for anyone interested:
Installed 561819031B: Heatercore
Installed 561898380: Gasket set
Installed G 013A8J1G Cool.Add

Test drove and verified concern, drained coolant, refilled with 50/50 mix, ran engine to operating temperature and let idle for over 5 min. Drained coolant again, replaced heater core and refilled coolant with 50/50 mix and test drove. Heater blows Hot out of all vents now.

Perform coolant service
Installed G 013A8J1G: Cool.Add
Installed 5901 : 2 part coolant flush
Removed coolant hose and installed adapters added coolant cleaner and conditioner and flushed 4 gallons of coolant through system, back flushed heater core reinstalled coolant hose and brought vehicle to operating temperature to verify operation.

I'm not sure what order things were done. It's listed on the service description as I have shown above. Hopefully the new heater core didn't get any of the contaminated coolant before doing the coolant service.

I drove it 10 min back to my office with the fan on 6 and tested all of the various heater positions and just felt the air temp with my hands. Everything seems to be pumping out heat in all areas just mighty fine. It's 39 degrees right now outside so it's a bit hard to tell if I have any cool air "sloshing" around in the cabin....but I'll keep a close eye on it the next few mornings on my way to work (35 miles each way).

I did ask the tech about what the air temp was and he said it was about 135F on the front vents, front defroster was 125F and the bottom foot wells were 118F "because they have more tubes to flow through and longer travel".

I think I remember someone posting that it should be around 140F. I figure 135F was pretty close and I'm really going to just go off of my own sense if it's warm enough or not. I don't have anything to measure it with other than a regular outdoor thermometer anyway from the back yard....

Still a bit cautious - but a tentative thumbs up for VW in getting this all fixed.