Costco diesel

alfon

TDI
2003 Jett TDI GL Wagon
Up here in Northwestern Oregon there is a Costco in the City of Warrenton.

They carry 87 and 92 Octane gasoline but no diesel. Even though they have a least 8-10 pump islands
to pump from.

I have mentioned and written request in for them to sell diesel fuel and my message
just falls on deaf ears after 5 years or so.

This is great news, especially up here in the Northwest where every other full size pickup truck is a diesel, and I have a 2003 Jetta TDI which I have to go to Fred Meyer, about a mile down the road to get fuel after I shop at Costco.

There is no doubt that Costco will sell several times more Diesel Fuel than they will ever
sell 92 Octane gas as 90 + % of all cars made today can run on regular 87 octane gas...

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
How many people buy their gas using an app like Gas Buddy. People mostly get the cheapest gas they can find, or the closest station to where they are at. I don't think brand preferences and fuel quality are really considered for most people.
I do, but I am getting tired of the deceptive "cash" pricing or the rewards pricing people report. They did NOT pay $3.49 a gallon when it was $3.89 a gallon but they got a personal discount. it is $3.89 that you report.

It is not the cheapest gas I buy, it is the cheapest STATION I shop for the brand names.

In Vegas there are two or three gas stations every corner with the same brands only blocks away. Gasbuddy helps find the best pricing in the area.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
lucky for us in Oregon they require B5 bio, that's enough to lubricate the high pressure pump and injectors :D

deezelpower

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2015 Audi Q7 TDI
For our US drivers:

http://www.costco.com/gasoline-diesel.html

Excited to see it's coming to the new Costco under construction in our neighborhood!

I filled up last weekend at the Woodinville WA location. Their pump handles are fidgety--forget trying to top off or vent, they're either full-on or off, no in-between.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Since the Costco in Billings started selling diesel late last year sometime I've been using it in the Jetta along with 3 1/2 to 4 oz of Optilube XPD, and the haven't noticed any difference in fuel mileage from previous fuels. Since Costco is the least expensive diesel in the area, ~33¢/US gal less than RUG on Wednesday, as well I can't see not using it. Now if they'd get someone to shoo the gassers away from the diesel pumps.... :eek:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Vancouver and Lynnwood to far to fill up, lol.

rhhsiao

TDI
2012 VW Golf DSG
For those with Costco diesel pumps, what is the setup? Are there islands with two handles, one diesel and one gasoline? Is the diesel pump colored differently?

deezelpower

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2015 Audi Q7 TDI
I think both pumps on each island had diesel, for at least the islands that carried diesel at all. Each pump has two handles (RUG/Diesel).

There's big signs so you don't get in the wrong lane, and it seems that almost all islands had it.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
For those with Costco diesel pumps, what is the setup? Are there islands with two handles, one diesel and one gasoline? Is the diesel pump colored differently?
If they're all like the ones in Billings they have two nozzles per pump per side, one for RUG/PUG, and one for diesel with buttons on the pumps to select what you want, and the diesel nozzles have green handle covers on them while the gas nozzles have black covers. This may be different from location to location, but the Costco's I've used seem to be pretty uniform on everything.

Surprised to see that Billings is the only Costco in the state to sell diesel. None in Bozeman or Missoula, but maybe they're too high class to sell diesel. Still lots of farmers around at least in Bozeman.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
The standard Costco setup has diesel and gas sharing the same island. This can be an issue when TDI club members take 10 or 15 minutes to fully fill their tank to the top. Ask me how I know? I was the 3rd TDI in a row at the same pump. Gas customers were getting quite frustrated. So it is not really a nice thing to keep the rest of the line waiting while we "hog" the busy Costco islands. But the Costco price is GREAT.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
The standard Costco setup has diesel and gas sharing the same island. This can be an issue when TDI club members take 10 or 15 minutes to fully fill their tank to the top. Ask me how I know? I was the 3rd TDI in a row at the same pump. Gas customers were getting quite frustrated. So it is not really a nice thing to keep the rest of the line waiting while we "hog" the busy Costco islands. But the Costco price is GREAT.
John, we diesel users have just as much right to keep the gassers waiting as they have to keep us waiting. After all it isn't as if we were cutting in front of them; let them use the gasoline only pumps. Meanwhile, I'll just use Propel Diesel HPR.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
The only time I got Costco diesel was in north Idaho, CDA. The price was only 0.05 cheaper than the cheapest in town, and that was just across the street. I wanted to see if I would be able to tell any difference. None what so ever. I am never close to any Costco as there are none where I work or live. This was just a trip that we took my car instead of the wifes. For me, even if I were driving by Costco all the time I do not think I would buy there again. Everyone was getting pushy, even the attendant. Told him to piss off, if I had to wait for the gassers then they could wait for me.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I always do a redneck test on diesel prior to making it my normal stop. I put some in a glass salsa jar and stick it into my freezer at -5F, you would be amazed at how some turn solid and some are so thin and smell like RUG that it has to be cross contaminated :eek:

OTorres_24

TDI
'06 Jetta
Trusted Fuels Only

How many people buy their gas using an app like Gas Buddy. People mostly get the cheapest gas they can find, or the closest station to where they are at. I don't think brand preferences and fuel quality are really considered for most people.
I usually go to the cheapest diesel fuel station using Gas Buddy, but I refrain going to brands of fuel that I don't trust. I only trust Chevron, Shell, Valero, and QuikTrip.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
There's a local here who's been running Costco diesel and he has given me good reviews of it. My wife and I just yesterday became members of Costco, striclty for the ~.20¢ /gallon savings. Just on fuel savings alone the membership will save my wife and I about $80/ year. The Costco is roughly 6 miles further than our regular fillup station. I still have yet to fillup but my expectations are high...

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
I hear that the gas island at the new Teterboro, NJ location offers diesel.
It is supposed to be a "premium diesel" that has higher cetane and lubricity enhancers. Haven't tried it yet.

Solshd

TDI
2012 VW Jetta SW TDI, 6SpdMan,White Gold, Sunroof
New Costco opened in New Berlin, WI on 6 Nov. they're selling #2 for 243, 22 cents less than nearby Kwik Trip. Drove thru to inspect and noted all pumps have both gas and diesel nozzles. Four lanes and 3-4 pumps, two sided, in each lane. No signage up and work still going on, but they were selling. Not filled yet and no idea of quality, but I have a high opinion of their gasoline.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
So my wife and I have been running Costco diesel in our TDI's now for about 8 while tank fillups (her 5 tanks and me 3 tanks). Neither one of us have noted any I'll effects of Costco diesel. Their pumps are clean, which is awesome, and I typically don't have to wait more than 5 minutes for a pump to free up. My wife and I are able to pump nice and slow to minimize foaming and we are able to brim it for consistent MPG calculations.

Rayzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
New Costco opened in New Berlin, WI on 6 Nov. they're selling #2 for 243, 22 cents less than nearby Kwik Trip. Drove thru to inspect and noted all pumps have both gas and diesel nozzles. Four lanes and 3-4 pumps, two sided, in each lane. No signage up and work still going on, but they were selling. Not filled yet and no idea of quality, but I have a high opinion of their gasoline.
Costco Gasoline has a tier 3 additive package (best) and is on par with Shell, Mobil and a few other top brands. I would expect that their diesel would be just as good with whatever detergents and additives are in that package. I with my Costco here in CT sold Diesel!

Last edited:

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Mk4 Jetta TDI (Black)
I've heard a lot about Costco's apparent quality of fuel. They are known for taking from the cheapest suppliers sometimes when it comes to gas so hopefully they don't **** it up for diesel. I know they now do their own additives though for the gasoline and that has been helping out a bit. Can't wait for it to come to Canada.

Last edited:

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Mk4 Jetta TDI (Black)
Quote: Originally Posted by yehaman
I heard the same yesterday regarding BJ's....pretty psyched myself!!!

You mean Costco is going to sell BJ's in the fuel station? Wow.

I have yet to meet someone who did not love BJ's. It's just so delicious! Their ice cream is the best and they have flavours for everyone!

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
I can't wait until Costco starts selling diesel - this is awesome news assuming it is not vaporware. Thanks for sharing, Yankinwaoz!
Filled up several times down here in Texas. 1.74ish/gal

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

gtidriver

TDI
2016 A6
I hear that the gas island at the new Teterboro, NJ location offers diesel.
It is supposed to be a "premium diesel" that has higher cetane and lubricity enhancers. Haven't tried it yet.
I emailed Costco's "Diesel Inbox" about the new Teterboro store's diesel -- whether it has an bio, and the centane rating:
Our Teterboro location sells diesel with 0% biodiesel.
The cetane rating of diesel at our Teterboro, NJ Costco is 40.
It looks like they are quoting the minimum centane rating (my guess)... wonder if there is too much variability in their fuel sources, or if the Diesel Inbox just doesn't know the local info? 40 centane definitely doesn't sound like premium diesel.

vwgtiglx

TDI
2014 2.0 TD Chevy Cruze
I filled up there on Nov. 6th on the grand opening. No problem and it beats the 11% Bio that they sell here in IL. My mileage is great and the rate of REGN's slowed way down in my Cruze.