www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old Yesterday, 17:38   #121
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Passat 7 L/100 km Golf Wagon 4.8 L/100 km avg, Golf TSI 6.0 L/100 km avg (summer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20IndigoBlue02 View Post
I got rid of my 08 Passat after 217,000 miles.
I ran my '07 Passat wagon up to 160k km (100k miles) with no problems other than high oil consumption.

It's hard to say if the TSIs last as long as a TDI.

What I can say is that for many drivers like me in the rust belt, it's a moot point. Our '05 Passat TDI, now driven by our oldest son, has just under 300k km on it. It has the geared balance shaft drive, and original transmission and original "lifetime" fluid

The engine runs flawlessly, but the rest of the car is falling apart. The corrosion warranty expired last fall, and the left rear door is full of large holes. Plus a lot of other old car issues.

When it reaches time to do the timing belt (320k km), it will be time to get rid of it (about 3 more years at the rate my son drives it).

The car that the Passat replaced as daily driver, was a 1998 Honday Odyssey. We ran that one for 15 years and 300k km. It too had to be scrapped due to extensive corrosion, the jack punched through the frame when changing a flat. So same mileage, slightly more years. Gas vs Diesel. It's a wash, in both cases the drivetrains outlasted the rest of the car.
05 Passat TDI
79 Beech Sundowner, '16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:54   #122
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I could not ever own anything I cared about with that level of salted roads. I'd probably buy a used car every few years, do as little as possible to it, and just keep turning them over.

I love the cold, but not that much. I am too much of a car guy.

See my FS thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=446942
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:57   #123
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

How do aluminum unibodies hold up on those roads? That might help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:10   #124
oilhammer

Aluminum's biggest hurdle is keeping the paint stuck to it. I am curious to see how well Ford's system holds up on the F150, because I am pretty sure they are not employing the same process to paint a $23k pickup that Audi uses to paint a $90k A8L.

Ford's previous generation steel bodied F trucks are awful for rust. Even here we see them with less than 10 years of use starting to bubble and holes show up. Silverados and Rams are just as bad. But given the cheapness of these trucks it should not surprise anyone. Sure, they have the $11ty Double Plus MSRP King Kong Spicy Ranch Laramie Limited Gold Pressed Latinum Hardly Ableson Edition versions that a lot of people go eyeballs deep in debt to own, but they are not graced with anything special paint/metallurgy wise, so they rust just as bad. Still a cheap vehicle underneath.

See my FS thread:

Old Today, 06:05   #125
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Passat 7 L/100 km Golf Wagon 4.8 L/100 km avg, Golf TSI 6.0 L/100 km avg (summer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
As any aircraft owner will tell you, aluminium corrodes! Airports use urea instead of salt to deice runways for that very reason. Aircraft in damp salty environments (i.e. near the sea) do have corrosion issues. Trust me I know, at my last annual I had to clean up some surface corrosion on the inside belly of my plane, the very place where wet, salty boots drip into. Fortunately the mechanic let me do it myself with his inspection afterwards, saving me the hourly labour rate.

The difference is that aluminium corrosion is white, not brown, so perhaps a bit less unsightly.
05 Passat TDI
79 Beech Sundowner, '16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:32   #126
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ask Audi and their owners. The A8 has had their aluminum space-frame for quite some time now.
Old Today, 06:35   #127
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy View Post
I ran my '07 Passat wagon up to 160k km (100k miles) with no problems other than high oil consumption.

It's hard to say if the TSIs last as long as a TDI.

What I can say is that for many drivers like me in the rust belt, it's a moot point. Our '05 Passat TDI, now driven by our oldest son, has just under 300k km on it. It has the geared balance shaft drive, and original transmission and original "lifetime" fluid

The engine runs flawlessly, but the rest of the car is falling apart. The corrosion warranty expired last fall, and the left rear door is full of large holes. Plus a lot of other old car issues.

When it reaches time to do the timing belt (320k km), it will be time to get rid of it (about 3 more years at the rate my son drives it).

The car that the Passat replaced as daily driver, was a 1998 Honday Odyssey. We ran that one for 15 years and 300k km. It too had to be scrapped due to extensive corrosion, the jack punched through the frame when changing a flat. So same mileage, slightly more years. Gas vs Diesel. It's a wash, in both cases the drivetrains outlasted the rest of the car.
I was coming up on a host of maintenance, that caused me to buy a new car:
- overdue timing belt change
- new tires
- new clutch & flywheel
- and the ECU couldn't connect to the government OBD-II scanner for emissions.

The high oil consumption (which I also had) is likely due to the failed passages in the valve cover for the PCV system
Old Today, 08:11   #128
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
The Mazda and Ford DI gas engines have the same issues any of the others do: increased oil dilution and in some cases some oil consumption. I am not certain what all Mazda has done on their own since the split from Ford. The newer Focus has a laundry list of problem areas that make anything regarding engine oil pretty trivial. Sad to see those cars with so many troubles, as they are a nice car to drive.

I'd still rather drive a Volkswagen.
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe using an oil outside of what the dealer puts might lessen the issues of oil dilution and consumption. Something with a NOACK of less than 10% and with the right blend of ester, PAOs and HOBS oil base.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:21   #129
oilhammer

The problem is that with any of the DI gas engines is they have the habit of diluting the oil like the old carburetor engines did. But the difference is, everyone except the Germans seem to want to spec 0w20, 5w20, or at best a 5w30 oil. They do this primarily to get that extra tiny bit of fuel economy, but it comes at the cost of the engine.

This already thin oil, when diluted even further, is much easier to burn away in the normal operation of the crankcase ventilation, so the likelihood of these engines being run low on oil over and over is the end result. And since the vast majority of the motoring public refuses to make sure their crankcase is full, shortened engine life is the result.

See my FS thread:

Old Today, 10:56   #130
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

No one remembers 506.01 oil spec, which is a 0w30?
Old Today, 11:10   #131
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
As PlaneCrazy mentioned, aluminum will corrode. How badly and how quickly depends on what your local DOT actually puts on the roads. Most cities ahve gone to putting a brine solution down before the storm hits. This is usually not just a mixture of common salt (NaCl) since common salt only reduces the freezing point a few degrees. Other chemicals help depress the freezing point as much as 20 degrees F and are extremely more corrosive to steel and aluminum. Best suggestion is that if you want your vehicle to last, wash it often all year.
Old Today, 12:08   #132
donDavide
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/45/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20IndigoBlue02 View Post
No one remembers 506.01 oil spec, which is a 0w30?
Wasn't that for T-reg v10 TDi? 12 liters of oil. them M1 repacement for 5w40 ESP Forumla M was 0w30.
donDavide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:17   #133
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donDavide View Post
Wasn't that for T-reg v10 TDi? 12 liters of oil. them M1 repacement for 5w40 ESP Forumla M was 0w30.
Yep, V10 TDI oil.

Mobil discontinued ESP Formula M 5w40, as the ESP 5w30 (504/507) already met the Mercedes requirements, so from a business case, there was no point for redundant oil.