estimate of torque??

Dieselmunkey

TDI
ALH Golf
Hello all, i've had nearly nothing but VW's for the last 13 years or so, finally time to start pumping power into my ALH. So, to begin:

2000 ALH, 275k or so miles. Owned this car for maybe a year and a half now. Fresh timing belt, idlers, water pump, etc. 2 months ago. So i started getting a few things together. Made an OMI, 2" piping to stock SMIC. EGR deleted, PD 150 manifold. Making a 2.5" DP now. muffler gone. So currently i just uploaded my new Kerma tune, and installed fresh calibrated PP764's. New VNT17 w/ 3-bar map, proper oil feed, return are probly due to my door toward the end of the week. Issue is, the clutch is already slipping :D so the only other mods i plan at this time that i haven't bought yet will be an 11mm pump, upgrading SMIC to a better Kerma SMIC. and likely doing 3" DP and larger full exhaust. Possibly a Colt stage 2 cam if my buddy goes thru with his upgrade.

So i'm curious since i'm sure there's hundreds of other cars running the same stuff i am. Anyone have any idea what kind of torque i'm doing after the VNT-17 and re-tune go in? then what i'll see after the 11mm? I'm shopping for clutches, but have no idea how much i want to account for. I'm likely to try to stick with SBC, but that's why i'm here. Car currently has what i believe to me a SMF with VR disc. chatters pretty good at idle. but i'm not going to pull the trans just to look at part numbers.
Also, i'm mostly running highway to work daily. But get stuck in traffic jams frequently. so i'm trying to stay away from a brick of a pedal. Thanks in advance, your experiences will be very helpful

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Talk to your tuner!

Kerma has done tons of these tunes for all kinds of configurations, including yours. He knows how much fuel the tune is supplying so should have a very good guestimate for you. The rest of us are just tossing out numbers.

My own mods and actual dyno numbers are in my signature.

Dieselmunkey

TDI
ALH Golf
I will be calling them tomorrow after work or so, given i don't have any reason to distrust them. I understand from reading around, that the numbers provided by South Bend Clutch seem to be quite a bit under-rated. So i'm more looking for someone with a very similar experience to mine. I realize there's going to be some throwing of random numbers, it's to be expected. But i'm looking at the Stage 2 clutches, daily, and endurance. I suppose the better question is going to be, is anyone slipping the "daily" clutch with what mods? I'm seeing what looks like the daily clutch having a bit lighter pedal feel than the endurance. Thus i'd rather go with that if it would hold up.

For sake of making it simple, mod list needed for is:

-VNT-17
-Bosio PP764 (Stage 1 flow)
-Kerma tune
-3 bar map
-11mm pump
-PD manifold
-EGR deleted
-2.5" exhaust
-2" piping to SMIC

(hopefully that helps keep it simple)

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
There are at least 3 different clutch threads active in this forum alone in the last 3 weeks. All with at least 2 dozen posts, one with over 150 posts. Having run the South Bend Stage II Endurance clutch for 60K miles, I can say the pedal feel was just about stock as far as I was concerned.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
One example of a setup similar to yours, that comes readily to mind, is forum user Ganoid. Stage 2 endurance seems to be holding well with 186 hp and 357 ft-lb to the wheels but that's a 10mm injection pump and R520. I would consider the 11mm/PP764 combo to be in the same ballpark.

We have managed to slip some of the Stage 2 Daily clutches with really strong builds in that 360 ft-lbs range, so don't even consider anything less. You could be ok with the Stage 2 daily but it's right on the edge if we tune it strong. Of course that can be accommodated based on the desires of the end-user but most guys want the best bang for the buck. That means a few extra $$ for a better clutch if you want a powerful build.

Personally I would consider the pedal feel of the stage 2 SBC to be stock or even slightly lighter. Stage 3 is where you start to get a *little* more grabby and abrupt and *slightly* heavier feel. In my opinion.

Dieselmunkey

TDI
ALH Golf
Thanks kerma, if the endurance does have a similar pedal to stock, that'll do just fine. Now to decide if I should pick up the clutch only or complete with flywheel, anyone care to chime in on advantages to the SBC flywheel over the standard g60 wheel??

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I am currently running PP764's and 24 PSI. My SBC Daily Driver 2 doesn't slip at all but I do not have my fuel maxed out either. Please remember to change out the pivot, ball and clip when you replace your clutch; it is cheap insurance for smooth operation. I would say my DD2 clutch has the same or less leg effort required as the factory clutch did.

Dieselmunkey

TDI
ALH Golf
I am currently running PP764's and 24 PSI. My SBC Daily Driver 2 doesn't slip at all but I do not have my fuel maxed out either. Please remember to change out the pivot, ball and clip when you replace your clutch; it is cheap insurance for smooth operation. I would say my DD2 clutch has the same or less leg effort required as the factory clutch did.
Thank you. I did end up ordering the SBC stage 2 Endurance. and did opt for the pivot, ball and clip. arrived to my work today. now waiting on our parts dept. for my CV seals and bolts. i'm going to have to get crafty to find a way to break this thing in, my work commute is 90% highway... And i did end up going with the full kit with flywheel. didn't feel like chancing it on my existing flywheel.