AdBlue Heater Warranty Extended to 120,000 Miles

MB2VW

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL,
Being a South Florida resident, having my AdBlue tank freeze over, is the least of my worries.

I received the warranty extension letter last week, as my eyes rolled over, with a yeah right attitude as I scanned it into Evernote...

The very next day, my CEL dawns...
2 Faults Found:
9655 - Control Circuit for Reductant Tank Heating
P202A 00 [175] - Open Circuit
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 79601 km
Date: 2016.10.27
Time: 17:46:23

Engine speed: 829.00 /min
Normed load value: 62.7 %
Vehicle speed: 0 km/h
Coolant temperature: 78 °C
Intake air temperature: 39 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1010 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 13.320 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Outside air temperature: 29.0 °C
Pressure sensor for reducing agent: measured pressure: 5002 hPa
Sensor for reducing agent fill level: fill level: 77.34 %
Sensor for reducing agent tank temperature: temperature: 30.1 °C
Reducing agent pump: activation: 14.45 %

15733 - SCR NOx Catalyst Bank 1
P20EE 00 [096] - Efficiency too Low
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Go figure....

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I got my AdBlue Warranty Reimbursement letter from VAG and in typical VW fashion, they are being cheap because they can. For those that had the work done at an Indy, VW tells you that either the parts or labor were too much. In fact they state that:

- VW had to establish a standard rate
- Reimbursement based on standard labor rate time of authorized vw dealer
- Maximum reimbursement ammount for parts based on warranty prices for components

Funny because the parts (Adblue Heater and Control Module) were bought from VW (Bosch parts) and the labor only came to 4 hours. Even more funny the INDY (Bosch certified) repair cost $1,100 and the VW dealer cost was $1,700. The dealer also wanted the tank to go and I said 'NOPE.' Part of the reason I went to the Indy is that I had zero confidence in the dealer technicians.

Long story short I don't know what I'm getting reimbursed, but my best guess is they will reimburse right in the range of $500 - 700. That means two hours labor and the current price of the heater - $400ish.

Still better than a sharp poke in the eye. I'm surprised Mercedes and Ford haven't had a recall on the heater as well. They use the same Bosch component.
I submitted my reimbursement request the other day. I did the work myself, so we'll see if they'll cut me a check for the $230.08 I paid for the repair kit from a VW dealer's online store. I say 50/50 at best.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
I had mine repaired this morning under the new warranty. I will note that actual time between when I dropped the car off and when the repair was complete was less than 2 hours clock time, so I'm not surprised that VW is only allowing 2 hours of shop time. Four hours seems excessive.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Its away for VWoA to "feed" the dealers, bet they still billed for 4.

stakeman

TDI
13 Passat TDI
So I replaced mine back in December and have yet to get the letter or ANY info from VW? Can anyone post the letter of any contact info regarding this? Thanks

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
So I replaced mine back in December and have yet to get the letter or ANY info from VW? Can anyone post the letter of any contact info regarding this? Thanks
Unfortunately somewhere along the way I misplaced the letter I received. I submitted my reimbursement request without it.

stakeman

TDI
13 Passat TDI
Ok, just for clarification. This is the AdBlue Heater Warranty Extension thread. From my reading in this thread owners of affected cars are getting letters advising them of this extension. This thread has nothing to do with the buyback. I have all those docs submitted and am fully aware of that process. What I'm asking is for clarification with regards to how I can get repaid for money I spent replacing my AdBlue heater back in December. I was under the impression the claims portal was just for the buyback. Because I didn't get a letter containing information about the AdBlue heater warranty extension I was looking for contact info regarding this.

stakeman

TDI
13 Passat TDI
My confusion. Sorry. I will delet post #39. You can then edit post #38 to clarify.
After re-reading that post I could easily see why there was confusion, I deleted it. My apologies. Now does anyone know how a get reimbursed for my AdBlue heater i bought back in December?

stakeman

TDI
13 Passat TDI
Bump for contact info.... Not sure why my 13 Passat SEL TDI wouldn't have been included? I'd love to get paid back for my AdBlue tank heater.

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
If nothing else, they received my reimbursement request.

"Reference # 161774617

Good Afternoon Mr. Altemus,

I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here at VW Customer CARE regarding the AdBlue heater repair as a part of the Warranty Extension.

I wanted to let you know I received all of your documents and we have everything we need at this time. I will be forwarding these documents to the appropriate department to look further into this and review your request for reimbursement. Once they finish the review process, you’ll receive a notification within 4-6 weeks on their determination.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to let me know. I hope you have a great evening!

Best,
Zaneera R.
Customer CARE Advocate"

By the time I get an answer the Passat should be a not-too-distant memory.

stakeman

TDI
13 Passat TDI
If nothing else, they received my reimbursement request.

"Reference # 161774617

Good Afternoon Mr. Altemus,

I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here at VW Customer CARE regarding the AdBlue heater repair as a part of the Warranty Extension.

I wanted to let you know I received all of your documents and we have everything we need at this time. I will be forwarding these documents to the appropriate department to look further into this and review your request for reimbursement. Once they finish the review process, you’ll receive a notification within 4-6 weeks on their determination.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to let me know. I hope you have a great evening!

Best,
Zaneera R.
Customer CARE Advocate"

By the time I get an answer the Passat should be a not-too-distant memory.

OK, this is what i'm talking about. I didn't get any info other than reading this thread about the AdBlu heater extension. I did however have mine fail and paid out of pocket to buy a new heater and replaced it myself. I'd love to get that money I spent back but have no idea who I need to contact??? Can someone that actually got a letter or email from VW about this please provide some contact info. Thanks.

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
OK, this is what i'm talking about. I didn't get any info other than reading this thread about the AdBlu heater extension. I did however have mine fail and paid out of pocket to buy a new heater and replaced it myself. I'd love to get that money I spent back but have no idea who I need to contact??? Can someone that actually got a letter or email from VW about this please provide some contact info. Thanks.
I received the warranty notification extension and the Campaign Reimbursement Request Form for my heater, but misplaced them. So, I took the information from one of the many other such forms I've received for this car, and followed the instructions:

1. Please provide legible copies of receipts, invoices and/or repair orders and keep originals for your records. Documents will not be returned. Documentation must include:
- The name and address of the person who paid for the repair
- The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the repaired vehicle
- A description of the problem and what repair was done, and the name, address, and phone number of the repair facility that performed the work.
- Proof of payment for the repair and the day payment was made (cancelled check, bank statement, etc.)

2. Please mail this form and the required documentation to:
VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA
Attn: Campaign Reimbursement
3800 Hamlin Rd., Auburn Hills, MI 48326

Please note:
- Your claim will be acted upon within 60 days of receipt. If you claim is approved, you will receive a check from Volkswagen. Reimbursement may be limited to the amount the repair would have cost if it had been completed by an authorized Volkswagen dealer.
- If your claim is incomplete we will contact you and offer you the opportunity to provide additional documentation to support your claim.
- If your claim is denied we will contact you with the reason(s) for denial.
Instead of the claim form, which would have had the wrong campaign number on it, I wrote a cover letter and included the receipts from the dealer I purchased the kit from, a copy of the VAG-COM scan, and a couple pictures showing the car in various states of disassembly. That seems to be enough documentation, but that also doesn't guarantee they will do anything with it.

stakeman

TDI
13 Passat TDI
I received the warranty notification extension and the Campaign Reimbursement Request Form for my heater, but misplaced them. So, I took the information from one of the many other such forms I've received for this car, and followed the instructions:

Instead of the claim form, which would have had the wrong campaign number on it, I wrote a cover letter and included the receipts from the dealer I purchased the kit from, a copy of the VAG-COM scan, and a couple pictures showing the car in various states of disassembly. That seems to be enough documentation, but that also doesn't guarantee they will do anything with it.

Thank You! I honestly have NO IDEA why VW has not sent me this info??? I'm the original owner of a 13 Passat TDI SEL? Where do you sent the info or do you have a phone number?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Thank You! I honestly have NO IDEA why VW has not sent me this info??? I'm the original owner of a 13 Passat TDI SEL? Where do you sent the info or do you have a phone number?
Call Volkswagen Customer Care if you need more information. 1 (800) 822-8987

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I'm going the same route, paid my dealer with the $500 goodwill card. On my receipt it shows a Visa transaction so I'm hoping they just issue me a check for $500 as a refund. I'm not sure how VAG would actually know if I paid with their Visa or one of mine. Either way, it was money that was issued to us to use at our discretion so I would think it should be refunded. We'll see...sending out my reimbursement paperwork tomorrow.

Wife just called, seems I received another letter from VW today. This time it had a $500 check in it....ChaChing!!!

Last edited:

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
Dealer told me to piss off. I will never set foot on VW lot again in my life. This Passat has turned into the nightmare from hell.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I doubt they told you to "piss off" unless you got belligerent with them.

But to answer your question, the 2015 Passat does not have the warranty extension because it uses a completely different system than the 2012 - 2014 passats.

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Got a response from Volkswagen Customer Care about my reimbursement request. It was declined because the part I used to replace the AdBlue heater was not the part number covered by the warranty extension. I have to say that I'm a little confused though.

I ordered the kit and installed the kit listed in another thread, P/N 7L6.198.970A (which is listed for the Touareg), before the extension came out. Using the car's VIN, the P/N that comes up on the same site is 561.198.970A. I don't have access to ETKA to figure out what is what, but the unit I purchased and installed 1) fit, and 2) cost a third as much as the part that comes up with the VIN search ($216.16 versus $625).

At this point I'm counting down the days until we get our final offer so that we can return this car. I don't know if I have the time/interest/patience to sit on hold for hours in an attempt to find out what the correct part number was.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
7L is a Touareg part number. While they're functionally interchangeable, apparently VW doesn't think so when it comes to warranty reimbursement.

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
7L is a Touareg part number. While they're functionally interchangeable, apparently VW doesn't think so when it comes to warranty reimbursement.
I got on a chat with VW Customer Care and pled my case. I effectively saved Volkswagen $1,000 or so by using the identical part that cost a third of what the "correct" part cost, and doing the work myself. Had I known that the warranty was going to be extended effectively a month after I replaced the part, they would have paid much, much more.

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
How'd that chat work out for you Jimbo70?

I did the same frugal thing as you. Apparently I set myself up to be out of pocket $250. But I didn't have to spend $1100 or so a year ago, nor pay $485 is for the 'correct' part.

Just thinking, I still have the old heater unit on the shelf in the garage. I could swap that one in, throw the cel, and get it replaced. I'd then have a good shelf spare, a new heater in the vehicle, but that doesn't seem like the best use of my weekend. Nor the following bunch of hours getting the dealership to replace it especially in the midst of freezing winter weather.

Last edited:

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
How'd that chat work out for you Jimbo70?

I did the same frugal thing as you. Apparently I set myself up to be out of pocket $250. But I didn't have to spend $1100 or so a year ago, nor pay $485 is for the 'correct' part.

Just thinking, I still have the old heater unit on the shelf in the garage. I could swap that one in, throw the cel, and get it replaced. I'd then have a good shelf spare, a new heater in the vehicle, but that doesn't seem like the best use of my weekend. Nor the following bunch of hours getting the dealership to replace it especially in the midst of freezing winter weather.
The last response (unsolicited by me) I received from the person at VW Care was that she apologized for not getting back to me as promised, but that the person she needed to talk to was out of the office. That was on 12/7. I asked for an update on 12/9, and I'm awaiting a response to that.