Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Signal Out of Range

arron9999

TDI
Passat PD130
I could do with some help please, I have a Passat 1.9pd130 I have just finished a gearbox swap but am unable to start the car now. it throwing up Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Signal Out of Range. I have read through the internet and see that someone said to unplug the cam sensor to see if the car starts and it does, it isnt very happy about it but once running seems fine, but as soon as i plug it back in the car dies.

i have taken the cam cover off and the 3 13mm bolts are in the middle of the slots on the cam pully ands checked in option 4 measuring blocks and the value is 0.6 when cranking the car over(sensor plugged in)

if anyone could help would be very grateful.

Arron

stamp11127

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 2003 Jetta 5sp 2005 Passat Wagon 5sp project
I really don't know how we grew up without the internet...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00515

Any additional codes pertaining to the G40?
What did you use to scan it?
Signal out of range means it is either too low or too high. I would venture a guess it is too low. We used to have weird readings on abs sensors on the big trucks and would have to clean the crud off of them where they read the tone ring. Doubt it would be that simple but doesn't hurt to check it. What shape are the tabs in on the cam sprocket?

Last edited:

arron9999

TDI
Passat PD130
Thank you for the reply. I have checked the wiring/and unplugged the sensor. When I unplug it I get no signal code. But car starts.
I tried to check the camshaft timing but the torsion value in measuring blocks. Is there a easy way to check the timing manually or will I have to strip the front down to get to the marking?

That is the only code that is flagged

arron9999

TDI
Passat PD130
Used vcds to read the codes, the tabs are like a L shape. Would be nice if it is a simple fix. I can get to the sensor so will give It a quick clean tomorrow.

stamp11127

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 2003 Jetta 5sp 2005 Passat Wagon 5sp project
I'm on a learning curve with my project Passat. From what I've read nothing is super easy on these. You will probably have to go through the same steps of getting access to the front as if you were changing the timing belt.
Was anything done to the engine during the gearbox swap? If not, I would suspect the cam sensor is failing.

Last edited:

arron9999

TDI
Passat PD130
Nothing was touched at the engine side except inlet and wires have double checked wires but timing was never touched. Seems like I will be putting it in service position again.

The Passat is a good car tbh never had a issue with it until the gearbox lost 4th. Just seems strange how it just stopped.