www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 24th, 2018, 17:30   #601
intro
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmodge View Post
FYI, you can accomplish that in the vehicle. Knock the inner race and bearing out, then torch the outer and they come out easy as the steel cools before the iron. The upside you know how far not to go now. it doesn't take much of a cut. You will be ok.

Thanks so much, that is good to hear! To be clear, I only cut directly into the bore of the steering knuckle because I completely messed up on the directions. I failed to confirm what exactly had been removed by the pressing out of the bearing. Once it dawned on me that I had already removed the outer race that had remained on the hub, and saw the inner race and the bearings already removed, I ran into the house and grabbed the new bearing out of the freezer. That's when I realized I was mistakenly cutting into the steering knuckle itself. Ugh. I will try deburring with the dremel next. Thanks for the tip on the heating and cooling, will try that next time.
intro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2018, 04:22   #602
jmodge
Veteran Member

Just for clarity on my end, I take an air hammer to the back side of the inner bearing race. This removes the inner race and both sides of the bearing. The outer race stays in the spindle. There is a point in the outer race that separates the two rows of bearings. I start the torch at this point and slice across the outer race, but not through it. Then set the air hammer on that point and a light tap tap removes it.
I imagine without the air hammer it may be simpler to pull the spindle. The outer race can then be used to draw the new bearing in using threaded rod/bolt and washers.
Old February 27th, 2018, 19:24   #603
scurvy
Good Ol' Boy

TDI(s): 2006 Golf
Fuel Economy: ☠☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by intro View Post
Here's where I f-ed up: I did not know at the time that I was cutting the outer race, and assumed it had to be in the bore of the steering knuckle (I failed to look at what had in fact been removed by the wheel bearing service tools).
By the time I realized my error I had already cut a decent sized groove into the bore of the steering knuckle.
Please, please, please, someone tell me that I can just sand that a bit, or fill the cut with a little jb weld, and proceed to press the new bearing in. The circlip will still fit.
Eh, you're probably fine. Use JB Weld, or don't, I don't think the bearing will care much. Press in a new bearing and motor on. Try not to work hungry or tired again.

Everybody's got to eat their share of **** sammiches, just remember the taste next time.
scurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2018, 14:39   #604
Oo-v-oO
Veteran Member

Thanks for the writeup, scurvy. Did the RF on my 2000 Golf today, will need to do the other side some time soon as it has as much slop as the right did, but isn't noisy yet.

I found that when pressing the outer race out of the knuckle, it worked best when I used one of the discs that caught the rib inside, between the races. When I tried pushing on the thin lip on the outside edge the disc slipped down and started to get pulled in crooked.

I also left my lower ball joint attached to the lower control arm and disconnected it at the stud. Much easier and no worries about alignment that way - only wrinkle is that you need to put some pressure on the lower control arm when putting it back together so the stud won't spin when you try to tighten the nut back up. I used a prybar, but you could also put a jack under it.

Nearly silent now, other than the tread noise from the snow tires and probably a little grumbling from the left front or rear bearings. It's like Whack-A-Mole.
Oo-v-oO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2018, 14:49   #605
Oo-v-oO
Veteran Member

The carnage:

No wonder they were noisy. This was the inner row of balls, if it makes any difference. This side of the car was involved in an accident before I got it and the knuckle and some other parts were replaced with junkyard parts to keep from having the car totaled by the insurance company, so I don't know how many miles this bearing had on it. I do know the other side is OEM because the PO was the original owner and he never had the bearings done so that one has 430,000 miles on it now. I guess it has earned the right to be a little loose...
Oo-v-oO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2018, 15:12   #606
mizzn44

TDI(s): '02 Jetta
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvy View Post
Now you just have to button everything back up.

Reinstall the brake caliper dust cover and the three 8mm bolts.

Put a light coat of grease on the hub splines and insert the stub axle through it. Don't let the other end come out of the transmission.

Put the balljoint bracket back in the control arm and line it up with the scribed lines or rust marks. Reinstall the three bolts, torque to 20 Nm + 1/4 turn. I used 25 Nm and called it even.

Replace the brake disc and install its retaining screw. Snug is good enough.

Replace the brake caliper and slider pins. Torque to 28 Nm.

Install the new 12 point nut on the axle shaft. My electric impact will really only run something up to about 100 ft-lbs or so, so I snugged it on very well.

Then put the wheel back on minus the center cap.

12 point nut torquing procedure, according to the Bentley:
Weight of the vehicle must be on its wheels.
First, tighten to 200 Nm.
Immediately loosen 1/2 turn.
Roll car to turn wheel 1/2 turn.
Tighten nut to 50 Nm + 1/6 turn.

I did this, but plus about 1/4 turn on the last tightening. This nut is one of the tightest on the car and there's virtually no downside to making it a bit tighter than spec. Some folks like to put a dab of blue loctite on the threads as well. I had one side installed without the weight of the car on the wheels solely with an air impact wrench on a medium torque setting - probably 200 ft-lbs or so. Both sides seem to be doing fine. Use your best judgement which one works best for you.

Enjoy your new, quiet car. Ahhh, blissfully silent!

Bad wheel bearing post-mortem inspection.
Here are some pictures of the bad wheel bearing after it spent a day in a parts washer. Notice the pitting & fretting on the races, all the corossion on the outer shell & how dull the balls appear:

Yeah, it was ugly. No wonder it was making a hell of a racket. Compare to the new bearing I had to remove after forgetting to install the circlip.

This is not a crazy difficult job, but there are a number of pitfalls. If you screw something up mid-stream, you'll have a car out of commission. If you're unsure about this in any way, or don't have a backup vehicle, or don't have ALL the tools, or don't have an afternoon to spend doing this the first time; DON'T DO IT. Take the car to a guru instead. If you're in the Chicago area, I can highly recommend jobob307 or JasonTDI.
I'm having trouble lining up my scribed marks, any special technique I need to employ?

Side note: Slow down folks, In my haste I used the wrong backing plate when I installed the hub. As they say - measure twice, cut once. Resulted in another trip to the parts store for another bearing after the hub pressed the center race out the back.

Last edited by mizzn44; May 5th, 2018 at 15:16.
mizzn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 05:30   #607
scurvy
Good Ol' Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzn44 View Post
I'm having trouble lining up my scribed marks, any special technique I need to employ?
Pry bar? Hammer? Sometimes I will lift the hub with a floor jack to make it easier.

There's enough rust patina on most of them in the Midwest to not need to scribe a mark at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzn44 View Post
Side note: Slow down folks, In my haste I used the wrong backing plate when I installed the hub. As they say - measure twice, cut once. Resulted in another trip to the parts store for another bearing after the hub pressed the center race out the back.
It's true, you must obey the rules of time and space for this job to be successful! Glad you found your mistake easily.
Old July 1st, 2018, 17:19   #608
flashmayo
Veteran Member

This has to be one of the longer threads on this site.
I just finished replacing the passenger front side bearing on my 03 Jetta. This thread helped quite a bit. Thanks Scurvy!
I was convinced that the bad corner was the drivers side. I tried raising both front corners and running it in 4th gear, but the diesel just makes too much noise to hear the bearing grind with my naked ear. Also the drivers side was solid using the 6 and 12 test.
This morning I got all scientific and before tearing apart the drivers side, I raised both corners one at a time and gave them the grab the spring and 6 and 12 test, which revealed the passenger side was likely the bad side. It was pretty ugly.
Very quiet ride now, we’ll see how things go over time.
The only thing I could add to the thread is that I bought a bearing press kit from Amazon for $67 delivered (with prime), so HFT isn’t the only game in town. I used the rental 5 lb slide hammer from Auto Zone to slam the bearing out, and scribed the inner race with my HFT Dremel tool and a couple taps with a cold chisel freed it up enough to slide off with a screwdriver.
Another blowmolded tool box to take up room in the garage and I’m good to go for now.
flashmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2018, 11:06   #609
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Thanks for the write up. I did use a bearing removal and install kit like the one you used. The last ~3mm was REALLY tight. In fact, I think I damaged the threads on the bolt tightening it while pushing it in. I barely got the new circlamp installed. I don't know why it was so tight. The knuckle was new (wheel bearing housing), and the bearing was too (of course). Both from IDParts. I guess the housing was just a little tight at the outer end. All good now and glad to have it done!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472257
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2018, 07:49   #610
scurvy
Good Ol' Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashmayo View Post
Thanks Scurvy!
This morning I got all scientific and before tearing apart the drivers side, I raised both corners one at a time and gave them the grab the spring and 6 and 12 test, which revealed the passenger side was likely the bad side. It was pretty ugly.
Nice work, good call on only raising one side at a time.

I have had 100% success rate with having the front end on jackstands and letting it idle in 5th gear, but this is a good thing to try as well.

Just to be clear, you felt play at 6 & 12 when rocking the wheel, and could feel grinding noises in the spring while rotating the wheel by hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubStrom View Post
The last ~3mm was REALLY tight. In fact, I think I damaged the threads on the bolt tightening it while pushing it in. I barely got the new circlamp installed. I don't know why it was so tight. The knuckle was new (wheel bearing housing), and the bearing was too (of course). Both from IDParts. I guess the housing was just a little tight at the outer end. All good now and glad to have it done!
Gotta be super tight at least once, right?

Glad you found the thread useful.