At Long Last - The Fix!

fxdrider

TDI
2009 Jetta SportWagen
It's been a long road...getting from there to here.. (theme from from Star Trek Enterprise).

Just got my 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI back from the dealer last Friday after its "fix". This is the 4th day I've been driving it, and so far - so good. All in all, I'd say I'm pleased. I expected to lose a good bit of power but it really doesn't feel much different. I guess I can feel a bit less power, but it feels quite a bit smoother than before. I've lost maybe 1-2 mpg in fuel economy so far, but I'm still getting 45 mpg on my 50 miles commute to work. Can't really complain about that. The best part is....NO MORE CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS! I've been driving it with the Engine Control/Engine Management light, the Diesel Particulate Filter light, and the Glow Plug light illuminated for well over a year now. That all has gone away now. Kinda feels like driving a new car. Just waiting now for the restitution payment to be deposited in my account. Gonna pay off a couple of bills with it.

The only strange thing is, now when I shut off the ignition, I hear a series of 5 high-pitched beeps. Kinda like some microwaves when they're done. It's never done that before, and I've had the car for the past 4 years. Anyone have an idea what that might be?

Thanks.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
My 2009 made several sounds after shutdown, as several valves are operated.

congrats on getting the fix and driving on.

you will also get a nice check from Bosch.

steelersvt

TDI
2009 jetta sportwagen
Did they require you to "fix" any of the CEL issues that are related to the stuffthat will be replaced with the fix anyway? I have a cel for the flap in the exhaust, and I'm sure my DPF is done. (Also have a MT 2009, and on the fence about buyback vs. fix)

fxdrider

TDI
2009 Jetta SportWagen
Did they require you to "fix" any of the CEL issues that are related to the stuffthat will be replaced with the fix anyway? I have a cel for the flap in the exhaust, and I'm sure my DPF is done. (Also have a MT 2009, and on the fence about buyback vs. fix)
I drove in with the Engine Control/Engine Management light (Also for the exhast flap), the Diesel Particulate Filter light, and the Glow Plug light all prominently lit. They never mentioned it! The only thing I had to pay for was a missing battery cover, which they said would cause it to fail Virginia state inspection. Not sure I believe that, but for $22.95, I figured it would be worth it.
I've already received and spent my VW restitution. Paid off some bills.
Hoping I'll get the Bosch cash soon too.

I must admit - I was skeptical it would ever happen - the fix and the payment. But it's done. Hope not to have to go through it again. Unless....there's another payment to be had. :D

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Seeing they were replacing the DPF on you're 09, they didn't prob didn't care about the DPF/EGR codes.

you def lucked out, you got a $3500 maintenance covered by this fix and then I'm guessing $5100 in cold hard NOx cash, don't forget the Bosch money that will surprise you in a few weeks from now.

Glad to see these older rides still motoring on.

steelersvt

TDI
2009 jetta sportwagen
my muffler broke off at the very end, and I left it back in Vermont. Will try to get another one here in FL and then most likely bring in my '09 for the fix. Been looking/waffling for a replacement car for a year and can't find anything better for slightly less than what I'd get for buy back.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
For the various 2.0 TDI cars, I feel owners of the 2009 MK5 Jetta receive the best deal, new hardware plus money, so long if your car isn't affected by the firmware problem.