My New Project

odinsjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
Well... It finally arrived. I picked up my mk4 Jetta Wagon 4motion shell today with all necessary other parts to put it together. Planning on swaping the interior, motor, front end, etc. from my fwd wagon into the awd wagon. The only thing I am lacking is a way to control the haldex unit. Getting the shell painted reflex silver at some point this winter, in the mean time will save money and gather some maintainance items for the 4motion system, a trailer hitch and figure out where I am going to work on this project.

Pictures:

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
sweet project, do you have a transmission yet?

If only my wagon was AWD "sigh", my LSD is nice, but AWD would be waay better!

odinsjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
Yes, have a transmission. It's a 6 speed 4motion from a pd115 (85kw) me thinks. Not exactly sure on the gear ratios though.

odinsjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
Me too! Going to be a while before it's all done. Will try and keep the thread posted as I make progress. Anybody know rear spring colour codes for 4motion vehicles?

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
OK, add me to the growing crowd of interested people.
Odin- sorry if this is redundant, but may I ask what is the origin of a MKIV jetta wagon 4motion? I searched past posts but didn't find the answer. Where did it come from?

odinsjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
This shell, along with the other necessary bits (transmission, propeller shaft, downpipe, front drive axles, etc.) came from the Czech Republic in a container. A friend of mine looked after importing it for me (he brought back lots of other goodies as well). I have been frustrated for the last bunch of years that I couldn't get what I wanted (diesel, wagon, 6 speed manual and awd) so went the expensive and labour intensive route.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Maybe you should start a Thread on your project in the TDI Conversions forum! Document the process with comments, photos, etc.

Nice project!

odinsjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
Was thinking of starting the thread in the conversions forum, but it's more for TDI conversions into vehicles that didn't originally have TDIs in them? Will take lots of pictures and let others know about how it's progressing.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
I have been frustrated for the last bunch of years that I couldn't get what I wanted (diesel, wagon, 6 speed manual and awd) so went the expensive and labour intensive route.
^ My sentiments exactly

odinsjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
I put wheels on the rear of it today and have the front on jack stands. The plan is to get enough front suspension to put wheels on the front as well so that I can unload it from the trailer and be able to move it around after.

Here is a picture of the 4motion 6 speed transmission with the front drive axles and the propeller shaft. As you can see the right front drive axle is quite a bit shorter to allow for the extra length on that side of the transmission where the propeller shaft output is.

Here is side by side photo of the 4motion transmission and a DRW 6 speed. The left sides are almost identical, the main difference obviously is the right side.

Here are a couple pictures of the downpipe, it takes some crazy bends to get around the propeller shaft. It will be interesting to get this in and see how it all fits.

Not sure if this shell was some sort of special edition or not, but the guards underneath the front doors look like this:

Don't know why there are 2 access points to the fuel tank.

That's all for now, need to get her unloaded from the trailer tommorrow and return the trailer. More to come!

odinsjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
Hmmm, haven't thought of that! Would need to be able to get parts reliably.

I have been doing alot of research on things that I am missing (or potentialy missing).

Looks like the trim peices in the back of fwd wagons are different than the awd wagons. The floor is much higher and there is no room for the storage compartments between the carpet peice and the spare tire. I was able to get the part numbers from ETKA, hopefully it won't be a problem sourcing them.

Also from ETKA, found that the rear springs with 5 orange marks are for estate (wagon) with heavy duty suspension. I don't think VW made a higher spring rate rear spring for 4motion wagons.

I found another TDI club member that has used his stock ECU to control the haldex unit. So, I think that most ECUs have the coding, the electrical connections just need to be made. I may contact Mark Malone on this one and see what he says.

My 4motion transmission is a 6 speed FBS. The gear ratios are as follows:
1st 3.82
2nd 2.11
3rd 1.31
4th 0.92
5th 0.91
6th 0.76
FD1 4.2
FD2 3.32

So, they definitely leave something to be disired. By my calculations, 6th gear will be just slightly lower than a stock O2J for a tdi (ALH). The DRW and ERF 6 speeds have much better gear ratios.

odinsjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
Hello all, first off, I'd like to apologize for not posting my progress as my project has come along. I have finally got my car mostly to the point where it can be driven. Last week alignment was done and hopefully get the exhaust system installed next week. It is still lacking quite a bit of the interior, other than that, good to go. It has been a challenging project, one that I don't think I would do again. Worth it, but, a lot of time and money! I hardly know where to begin explaining what I have done with the car, parts incompatibilities and problems that I had. My last major thing to figure out is recoding the ABS controller so that it communicates wheel speed info with the Haldex controller.

odinsjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
Many thanks to the guys at ID Parts for answering my many questions and supplying a replacement friction disc for my clutch (after the slave failed and soaked the disc with brake fluid). Also, thanks to Mark Malone for supplying the ECU tune and fixing up a few issues that were missed (immobilizer delete and removing an automatic transmission code)

odinsjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
Many of my goodies that were on my FWD wagon are transferred over to the 4motion wagon plus some new additions. I'll see if I can remember everything!

Engine:
rebuilt cylinder head with Colt Cams camshaft
new oil pump, chain and tensioner
Bosch Titan injector nozzles
11mm IP
Oil bypass filter
upgraded oil cooler
VNT 17/22
ID Parts upper and lower intercooler pipes
Eurojet SMIC
PD150 intake manifold
upgraded turbo intake pipe
CCV filter
Cat 2u fuel filter
Fuel manager filter with heater
Frost Heater

Suspension:
Koni FSD struts/shocks
solid front and rear subframe bushings
TT lower control arm bushings
solid right steering rack mount
poly strut mounts
Gruvenparts adjustable rear control arms (x4)
VR6 front wagon springs (2 blue/2white)
rear 4motion springs (5 orange)
all other bushings replaced with new stock items

Brakes:
front 312mm rotors with TRW pads and Tyrol Sport caliper sliders
rear 256mm vented rotors with TRW pads

Transmission:
4motion 6 speed code FBS
upgraded shift forks
Wavetrac LSD
SBC Stage 2 Daily clutch kit with SMF
new seals all around

Rear Differential:
Peloquin LSD
new seals all around

Body:
Atlas skid plate
Golf Ecodes with fogs and leveling motors
Hella fog lights in bumper grills
Bosal trailer hitch (modified for 4motion unibody rails)

Interior:
power front heated seats
GLX trim (most of it!)
NSP boost gauge
I was able to use many of the luggage area trim panels, they needed modified to fit a 4motion vehicle as the floor is level with the bottom of the hatch.

That's about it!

Last edited: