Winter tire/ rim combo recommendation?

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
I have about 50K on the OEM all season tires that came with the Golf (18" SEL rims). For the first 2 seasons the tires performed well in the winter snow. So as this winter approached I didn't think twice.

Well we had our first significant snow of this season and although there seems to be a decent amount of tread left- I was significantly struggling to make it up snow covered hills- the same hills that last year I had no problem going over.

Im looking for some recommendations on snow tires and rim combinations. is it better to put on 16" tires? I will do a decent amount of highway travel with the snow tires - unfortunately through the snow belt regions.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yes, a skinnier (195, 205)16" snow tire would be best. The 16" tires should also be quite a bit cheaper. I'd look around for some used rims. Any snow tire will be night and day compared to all seasons. I've been happy with my general articmax snow tires. They get the job done, and aren't super expensive.

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
Is there a specific steel rim size I should be looking at? there are some steel rims at 16x6.5" Im not sure if that should fit?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I have about 50K on the OEM all season tires that came with the Golf (18" SEL rims). For the first 2 seasons the tires performed well in the winter snow. So as this winter approached I didn't think twice.
Well we had our first significant snow of this season and although there seems to be a decent amount of tread left- I was significantly struggling to make it up snow covered hills- the same hills that last year I had no problem going over.
Im looking for some recommendations on snow tires and rim combinations. is it better to put on 16" tires? I will do a decent amount of highway travel with the snow tires - unfortunately through the snow belt regions.

... as I have "other" needs in my OkieVille climate, (for my wife's car) I called Tirerack & spoke with a rep.

... It was worth the time. :cool:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is there a specific steel rim size I should be looking at? there are some steel rims at 16x6.5" Im not sure if that should fit?
Yeah, as long as they are 5x112 those rims should work. You might be able to find a nice used set of alloy rims for considerably less than a new set of steelies.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Im on my 4th season with Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT tires on 15" steel rims. They were originally bought for my MK4 Jetta but after I got the 2015 I bought some rims off craigslist to fit them since there was plenty of tread left and I needed winter steels anyway.

I do quite a bit of highway driving all all over New England in the winter and these tires have performed exceptionaly well and the tread life seems to be much higher than Blizzaks or others like them. Three of the seasons on these tires I was living in the boonies of central Mass where a lot of roads I drove were low on the plowing priority list and never had any problems.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
... as I have "other" needs in my OkieVille climate, (for my wife's car) I called Tirerack & spoke with a rep.

... It was worth the time. :cool:
Okieville and Michigan are two totally different places in the winter. My 2 cents.....my Passat came with 18" wheels and tires. I changed that to 16" wheels and tires for winter use. Later for summer tires too. Better ride cheaper tires used VW Biolines for summer. Sold those stupid 18" tires and alloys,.all they do is look cool. The 16" steel wheels with General Altimax tire work great here in WI/MI winter weather conditions. Forget about factory all seasons during 4 to 5 months of snow and ice.

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Okieville and Michigan are two totally different places in the winter. My 2 cents.....my Passat came with 18" wheels and tires. I changed that to 16" wheels and tires for winter use. Later for summer tires too. Better ride cheaper tires used VW Biolines for summer. Sold those stupid 18" tires and alloys,.all they do is look cool. The 16" steel wheels with General Altimax tire work great here in WI/MI weather conditions. Forget about factory all seasons during 4 to 5 months of snow and ice.

.... this Okie (and wife) mostly just keep 'em in the garage, at more than 1-2 inches of very light snow.

.... primary requirements with replacement tires would be best wet-dry stopping distance, quiet, best ride. Mileage is a secondary issue.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
On my 2015, I have driven with the factory 17 inch all seasons in yesterday's storm. I am not over impressed with the grip. Next Monday I have an appointment to get my 16 on steelies with Blizzaks installed. If I like the 16s enough I might even buy new 16 inch alloys for my summer tires. My city has far too many potholes and defects to be secure with low aspect ratio tires.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
.... this Okie (and wife) mostly just keep 'em in the garage, at more than 1-2 inches of very light snow.
This mass hole needs to be able to drive through 1-2 feet of snow in an un-plowed parking lot and continue to drive 20 miles on the highway in white out conditions only to get home and ascend the compacted snow mountain at the end of the driveway left by the plow. All this must be done without getting stuck, or going careening off the road at any point in my adventure. :D

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This mass hole needs to be able to drive through 1-2 feet of snow in an un-plowed parking lot and continue to drive 20 miles on the highway in white out conditions only to get home and ascend the compacted snow mountain at the end of the driveway left by the plow. All this must be done without getting stuck, or going careening off the road at any point in my adventure. :D

Ha! At least you flat-landers don't have any real mountains to contend with. :D

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG

.... primary requirements with replacement tires would be best wet-dry stopping distance, quiet, best ride. Mileage is a secondary issue.
my experience.......I use 16" Pirelli P7's for summer use great wet/dry stopping distance, quite, and a smooth comfortable ride. Winter time gets winter tires period, end of discussion.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Ha! At least you flat-landers don't have any real mountains to contend with. :D

Mind what you say, depends on where you are in Maine, there's quite a bit of flat land. :D

Anyways 205-65-16 on Biolines fill out the wheel wheel nicely and have no rubs, plus gives you a fairly decent lift too!

Last edited:

BobbyWires

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW manual, 1991 Syncro Vanagon, 2004 Audi A4 Avant 6man, 1990 Ford F250 351 "farm truck" 2014 Q7 TDI Sline
I get the Nokian Hakka 8's or 9's Best snow tire period

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

seconded! buy the russian made Scandinavian tires to run you your Mexican made German automobile!

I got my set of Hakka 8s studded for $650 mounted and balanced, I'll gladly spend that over any other mod.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Agreed. Too bad they aren't a bit cheaper. For someone who has been making do with all seasons, pretty much any snow tire will make a HUGE difference.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mind what you say, depends on where you are in Maine, there's quite a bit of flat land. :D
Anyways 205-65-16 on Biolines fill out the wheel wheel nicely and have no rubs, plus gives you a fairly decent lift too!
Just having a bit of fun. Flat-landers or "people from away" are the original Maine terminology for tourists/non-native Mainers. Not really any more flattering than mass-hole - but a touch classier.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I sold a set of these to a customer yesterday for his 2017 Golf GTI. He got 205/50/17 Blizzaks to go with them, the total cost delivered to Ohio(shipped freight, no sales tax) was $1250 delivered. I only have two sets left (please contact direct instead of eBay for shipping/tire options).

I also have these, they are popular winter wheels too...

Cheers,
-BB

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I bought another set of rims today- like I had on the '16 Jetta- a nice set of 15" own VW Lyon rims with decent tires -$180 for set of 4. Thinking of taking the Ecopias off them and getting some Goodyear Ultra Grip Wrt tires mounted . I can get $120 rebate on set of 4....

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
If I go with some cheap steel rims that measure 16x6.5- what would the appropriate tire size be?

If they are balanced would it be simply just a bolt on? i.e. I wouldn't need an alignment?

Would going from 18" rims to 16" should cause any rubbing?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I just ordered Michelin X-Ice 3s on 16" steel wheels from Tire Rack. They'll be here Tuesday, mounted and balanced. The steelies are only $53 each, far less expensive than OE steelies.

I like the Michelins mostly because they are very quiet and perform well on dry roads. They're good in slush and light snow, but for deep snow there are better tires out there. General Altimax Artics are great and less expensive, and Firestone Winterforces are, too, although the Firestones are kind of squirmy on dry roads.

I was on the fence about ordering snows for the GSW, as I have snows on IBW and I've not been driving the GSW that much. The deciding factor was I want to limit salt exposure for the OE alloys.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I also have a set of X-Ice 3s for my 535d. I got them from Tire Rack mounted onto a set of relatively inexpensive alloy rims. 17 in was the smallest size that would fit. I like them. They are quiet and performed well in the snow last winter. I have a set of 17 in Blizzak WS80s for the Q5, which are also good, but perhaps a bit noisier. I'm not an off roader, so they fit the bill.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I buy the cheapest set of alloys (about $100) on the Tire Rack site and they will mount and balance tires on them for you. I pick them up at their distribution center for free shipping. Lately I have used the michelin x-ice 3s and they work well and tested well by consumer reports. Nokians also tested well by consumer reports. A size smaller tire is recommended at the tire rack site. I put them on the car myself with a torque wrench.

Note: I just took the front lug bolts off the wife's GSW for the first time. They were both so tight I needed all the pounds from Thanksgiving dinner to stand on the wrench to get them loose. The rear bolts felt about right though. Dealerships!!

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I just ordered Michelin X-Ice 3s on 16" steel wheels from Tire Rack. They'll be here Tuesday, mounted and balanced. The steelies are only $53 each, far less expensive than OE steelies.

I like the Michelins mostly because they are very quiet and perform well on dry roads. They're good in slush and light snow, but for deep snow, there are better tires out there. General Altimax Artics are great and less expensive, and Firestone Winterforces are, too, although the Firestones are kind of squirmy on dry roads.
Here is my take on this discussion...I don't know anything about Michelin X-Ice 3s but the General Altimax Artics have served me very well on snow and ice for three winters now and for two seasons I had Firestone Winterforce. The Winterforce were great in deep snow but that's it really squirmy on dry roads and noisy as hell all the time........better than all seasons but not the best winter tire for the money. I have VW OE steelies with VW hubcaps. What hubcaps fit on the Tire Rack wheels?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I skipped the Altimaxes because I'm so happy with how quiet the X-Ices are on IBW. I had a set of Altimaxes from my son's wrecked Golf I wanted to put on IBW, but they somehow went missing after the car was towed to my mechanic. They were on the car for two weeks before the accident.

I'm going to use these center caps.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS

I think for closing in on 12" plus of snow, you will be hard pressed to drive your VW through it. Best to break out the 4 wheel drive truck with excellent AT tires and leave the car home.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I think for closing in on 12" plus of snow, you will be hard pressed to drive your VW through it. Best to break out the 4 wheel drive truck with excellent AT tires and leave the car home.
I've done it, but only because I only have one vehicle. It is definitely doable with a good set of tires and a good understanding of your limitations. I talking more specifically about being able to get out of that un-plowed parking lot to a hopefully plowed road.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Where the heck are you in Massachusetts? I'm a little hard pressed to think of anywhere that happens more than perhaps once in a winter, and not at all in some winters (like last year).

If you're serious about moving through deep snow I'd consider lifting the car. My son's '02 Golf has a 2" lift and it's worked great for him on snow days (he used to live in Montague, now in Northampton).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just having a bit of fun. Flat-landers or "people from away" are the original Maine terminology for tourists/non-native Mainers. Not really any more flattering than mass-hole - but a touch classier.
Oh as being a native Mainer, I've heard it before and having just as much fun.

I've also heard it used to describe people thinking they are Mainers yet live in So Portland/Cape Elizabeth and think Bangor is northern Maine.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Where the heck are you in Massachusetts? I'm a little hard pressed to think of anywhere that happens more than perhaps once in a winter, and not at all in some winters (like last year).

If you're serious about moving through deep snow I'd consider lifting the car. My son's '02 Golf has a 2" lift and it's worked great for him on snow days (he used to live in Montague, now in Northampton).
Used to live in Winchendon just north of Gardner. It was basically the middle of nowhere. On more than one occasion I had to push my way through a foot or more of snow to get out of the parking lot at work and some of the roads from the office to my house were not always a priority to be plowed. Your right that it doesn't happen all the time and the original comment was half serious but not out of the ordinary for any given winter.