Euro headlight switch

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
I have done some searching on google and haven't found anyone who has done the euro headlight switch on the MkVI Jetta sedan. I am half tempted to get the switch and try it but don't want to fry anything.

I would just like the set up as

0 - DRL on
>oo< - parking lights - city lights
And then full headlights.

I just like that look of the parking and city lights on right at dusk before turning on the headlights or when I come home and turn off my lights while driving down the driveway between the houses.

Anyone find anything else or know something I don't? Thanks.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I think you'll have to settle for either having DRLs or not having them.

I don't think you can have DRLs when off, then parking, then headlights.

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
Never settle...

Also in >oo< you can run your fog lights, ask me how I know?

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
So I guess the answer is no problem. Just gotta get the switch with trigger wire and do the coding. Why have I not seen anyone with the 2011 Jetta sedan do this?

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
Why have I not seen anyone with the 2011 Jetta sedan do this?
Ask TwoTone :rolleyes: (couldn't resist)

I think this sums it up best...

ARBY said:
Fred's these days skews older, more conservative, frugal and generally more curmudgeonly than Vortex, which is likely why you're getting flamed (despite people apparently trying to 'help you' by flaming you.)
Read up...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=306205
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=307376
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=304701

Modification to TDI cars are, for the most part disregarded as "hacks" on this forum. TDI Club is dominated by by an older crowd whose political rage is thinly guised by car talk, Ive cut my posting way back because of this. When I post something, I do it clearly within my realm of expertise with my sole aim of helping a fellow tdi-er, most have jumped on me as not knowing what i'm talking about. it's simply stupid. So the way I see it, if I dont post or share my modifications, I cant get in trouble here, or banned, again.

You asked a question:

"Will the Euro headlight switch work in your Mk6 TDI"

Your answer is yes.

~SPV:cool:

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
Hold the jokes I'm a new VW guy, but what's the big advantage with the Euro switch?
lol, no jokes we were all newbies once. Very simply put the "Euro Switch" adds more functional configurations when running the front facing lights on our Jetta.

Quick break down:

With the USDM switch you have:

0 - all off ( w/ DRL)

/> - headlights on (with or without fog lights)

But,

With the EDM switch you have.

0 - off (DRL)

>oo< - running lights, including city lights, license plate, and tail lights, fogs are available optionally. (no headlamps)

/> - on (with or without fog lights)

There is also options for rear fogs, but that's about as courteous as HIDs in halogen housings in the Southwest. (we don't have fog) :)

All jokes aside it has set my car apart as more people pick up the "new jetta"

Cruising home after work at dusk with HID fogs and LED City Lights is sex!

Good luck!

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
Very good sir!;)

Ask TwoTone :rolleyes: (couldn't resist)

I think this sums it up best...

Read up...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=306205
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=307376
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=304701

Modification to TDI cars are, for the most part disregarded as "hacks" on this forum. TDI Club is dominated by by an older crowd whose political rage is thinly guised by car talk, Ive cut my posting way back because of this. When I post something, I do it clearly within my realm of expertise with my sole aim of helping a fellow tdi-er, most have jumped on me as not knowing what i'm talking about. it's simply stupid. So the way I see it, if I dont post or share my modifications, I cant get in trouble here, or banned, again.

You asked a question:

"Will the Euro headlight switch work in your Mk6 TDI"

Your answer is yes.

~SPV:cool:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
~Jb said:
What are you talking about? The Euro Switch/DRL delete has been around since the A3 platform (possibly earlier). It's not considered a "hack".

Have you ever looked in the power mods thread or the non-engine mod threads? There are dozens of common mods listed in both.

Mods that make your car illegal or unsafe for yourself or other drivers are often frowned upon here. It has nothing To do with age or demographics.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Thanks for the replies.

~Jb - love to see pics with the LED city lights.

As far as coding goes, is it the same as the golf and sportwagens? Also did you have install the trigger wire? I read on some forums that some people didn't have to run the trigger wire. And last but not least - do the tutorials on the golf/sportwagen translate to the MkVI Jetta sedan. Thanks again.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
<SNIP>

<SNIP>

~SPV:cool:[/QUOTE]

Is every day a temper tantrum for you?

Bill

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
There are a ton of mod threads on here. There's just a big difference between those and what you did with you lights. You seem to be the only one that can't grasp the difference.

Here's just a few I'm subed too with a special one at the end of the list just for you:D

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=297554&highlight=Malone
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=309238
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=311116
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=284372&highlight=begun
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=292368
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=296017
HIDs, done correctly http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=311438

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Is every day a temper tantrum for you?
Bill
I think someone has a persecution complex.

Thanks for the replies.
As far as coding goes, is it the same as the golf and sportwagens? Also did you have install the trigger wire? I read on some forums that some people didn't have to run the trigger wire. And last but not least - do the tutorials on the golf/sportwagen translate to the MkVI Jetta sedan. Thanks again.
On my '09 all I needed was the switch and the coding.

I tried swapping the switch to my '10, but with coding but no wire the headlights were on in the parking position, even with the DRLs deleted. So the '10 needed the wire plus coding.

The '11 have some coding/electronic differences from the '10s, so I don't know exactly what the deal is, but installing the wire is pretty straight forward.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
From previous models the wire looked pretty straight forward. I guess just questions on coding, but guessing someone who has VCDS will probably know.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
What's your skill level? The trickiest part of the wire is snaking it from the switch down to the footwell. Finding the correct terminals is pretty easy. It took me about 30 minutes to wire mine up.

Have you seen this write up? http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4724268

The coding is pretty easy, just go to the Central Electrics module, open the coding helper, and click/unclick a few boxes.

aenea

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I don't think any coding is required. Or, more accurately, coding hasn't been required on the Golf-based cars.

There was a document running around that claimed the US Jetta's electrical system was based more on the Polo than the Golf, though, but I'd guess that coding still isn't required and the trigger wire isn't necessary if people are getting it to work. If someone has a vagcom, it would be interesting to see an autoscan.

Do you know if it's using the same switch as the MK6 Golf?

Did VW get some better bulb out detection systems or did they just strip it from the Jettas? I haven't seen anyone complain about bulb out warnings with led's.

Thanks for the replies.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
What's your skill level? The trickiest part of the wire is snaking it from the switch down to the footwell. Finding the correct terminals is pretty easy. It took me about 30 minutes to wire mine up.

Have you seen this write up? http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4724268

The coding is pretty easy, just go to the Central Electrics module, open the coding helper, and click/unclick a few boxes.
Skill level isn't an issue. I did the auto to manual conversion on my Fairlane.

And yes, I did see the write up. Thank though for posting it. I think it will be helpful for others who might be interested in the euro switch.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
I don't think any coding is required. Or, more accurately, coding hasn't been required on the Golf-based cars.

There was a document running around that claimed the US Jetta's electrical system was based more on the Polo than the Golf, though, but I'd guess that coding still isn't required and the trigger wire isn't necessary if people are getting it to work. If someone has a vagcom, it would be interesting to see an autoscan.

I am just guessing it is the same switch. Going to ecstuning.com didn't give a specific switch for the MkVI Jetta sedan.

This one is for the Golf:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--TDI/Interior/Switches/ES1897089/

Looks the same as my sedan sans parking/city light option.

I'll write ECS.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.

Did VW get some better bulb out detection systems or did they just strip it from the Jettas? I haven't seen anyone complain about bulb out warnings with led's.
The Jetta electrics could be different from the Golf electrics. The trigger wire was necessary on my Golf to have parking/city lights only when the Euro switch was turned to >0<. Without the trigger wire, the full headlights came on when set to parking lights (>0<), even with the DRLs disabled.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Just got an email back from ECS tuning and they said the euro switch for MkVI golf will not work with the MkVI sedan.

aenea

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Bummer. I thought I saw a post that said they were using the MKIV switch, but I can't find it. Still ~jb has one, so someone must be selling them and he should know the part number.

Just got an email back from ECS tuning and they said the euro switch for MkVI golf will not work with the MkVI sedan.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Bummer. I thought I saw a post that said they were using the MKIV switch, but I can't find it. Still ~jb has one, so someone must be selling them and he should know the part number.
The switch and the plug/harness are different. The Mk6 switches use tiny terminals compared to the Mk4 switch. The switch itself looks about the same size, but could be slightly different.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano

Was hoping ~Jb would elaborate on this.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
The switch and the plug/harness are different. The Mk6 switches use tiny terminals compared to the Mk4 switch. The switch itself looks about the same size, but could be slightly different.
Ok guys stop mixing golf and Jetta's here!

Golf uses the MK5 tiny terminals and its the same swtich from mk5 golf/jetta and mk6 Golf

Jetta uses the mk6 style terminals which are the same as the mk4 switch and plug. So as long as you get a mk4 switch it should do the trick!

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Thanks mo_focus for that clarification. I just haven't found any concrete info of what people have done. I'll keep searching.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
Thanks mo_focus for that clarification. I just haven't found any concrete info of what people have done. I'll keep searching.
I have mk5 switch that was on the 2006 Jetta, i used it on the 2010 Golf and it fit, i tired it on the 2011 Jetta and it doesnt fit. So i know its not the mk5 switch 100%. I was told its the mk4 switch that fits the 2011 Jetta, so you just have to find a way to verifiy that :)

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
I'll follow a mk4 to their destination and ask to see their headlight switch.:D

I haven't taken out the Mk6 Jetta headlight switch but might try that today to see what it looks like. I found a pic of the Mk4 switch where it plugs into.

I was just confused as to ~Jb running the trigger wire and wish that he would post exactly what to do instead of being vague about it. Obviously he didn't use a Mk6 switch since you said it doesn't work. the Mk4 didn't seem to require a trigger wire to work correctly - however ~Jb said he used one. That info is the info that I can't find after numerous searches and typing different things into google to try and find. Thank again mo_focus.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Took out my switch. They look pretty similar.

Mk4 euro switch

My Mk6 US switch