cabin fan only working at high speed setting

northstar

TDI
Jetta,2000,sliver,5sp
the cabin fan in my 2000 Jetta seems to only work at the high speed setting. I don't have a Bentley manual yet. Can anyone post a copy of the electrical schematic or offer assistance?

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
I don't have a Bentley manual, but this is usually caused by the failure of a resistor in the fan motor wiring.

My wife's Jeep did that and it's not a particularly cheap fix. At least not on that beast.

Others may have done this as a DIY job. Now's the time to buy a Bentley and the part and dive in because the dealer is not going to do this cheaply. You'll probably more than cover the cost of the Bentley on this one.

Good luck.

sootwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I have a '98 Jetta GL (and an '03 Jetta TDI wagon). I had to replace the resistor on the '98. It was located near the blower motor, which is under the dash on the passenger side, behind the glove box (which had to be removed). There was, if I recall, a 4-pin connector and one screw that had to be removed. The resistor is in the ventilation path because the blower fan keeps it from overheating (for a while...).

Hope this helps...

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Right footwell. At bottom of fan housing; inside. #5

MacGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta, black
I'm not sure what the resistor pack is worth, but there is a thermal fuse in it that I replaced in my previous VW. If that is open, and if you are willing & able to do a little soldering, it'll cost you <$5 to fix. I lubed the blower bearings at the same time to make sure the motor wasn't tight & drawing too much current, & never had another problem with it.
If one of the actual resistor coils is open, it's pretty much time to get a new one.
Post again or email me if the thermal fuse is the prob & you wanna replace it, I can walk you through it

northstar

TDI
Jetta,2000,sliver,5sp
Removed the resistor & checked the pin resistance. Not sure what to look for as I do not have a pin out diagram. Found the following with the resistor upward & the pins facing me . Pins 1,2,3,4 left to right.
1 to 2,1 to 3 & 1 to 4 all = 8 meg ohms
2 to 3 =1.4 ohms
2 to 4 = .9 ohms
3 to 4 = 1.9 ohms
can you provide detail on thermal fuse? there is an component soldered on the end that looks like a fuse.

MacGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta, black
I don't have a pinout either but sounds like you are off to a good start...
The three low readings sound like all your resistor coils are ok. The 'fuse' should be ~1/2" long & 1/8" in dia, metal barrel with a coloured band in one end and should have extremely tiny writing on it. Something including a temp rating like 128*C or 216*C. I can dig an old one out if you can't find this.
Anyway, test to see if it is open (blown). If not, you have other problems. If it is bad, you can get an exact temp match by the #'s on it from an electronics store. Ask for a 'thermal cut-off'. They come in ratings from under 80*C to over 250*C. Radio shack may have them but they are fairly sparse on components anymore...some place like Gervais Electronics or ADD Electronics may be a good bet.
The new one should come with little crimp connectors. I recommend cutting the old one out to allow crimping the new one to the old wires unless you are certain you can solder quick enough to not destroy it.
Remember to check the motor & fan blade for obstruction, binding, or tightness. The fuse may have been weak to start, but likely blew for a reason...if it is indeed bad.
Message me again if I've forgotten something, or if you can't locate a thermal fuse locally.

For the price you found, I'll rebuild mine with wire-wound resistors when the time comes if need be, before I pay that!

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
No thermal fuse is shown on the wiring diagrams.

Pin 2-4 should be max ohms.
Pin 3-4 should be next lowest.
Pin 1-4 should be next.

Be sure your numbering matches that of the connector.

#1 should be green wire at connector
#2 blue
#3 white/black
#4 yellow

At highest fan setting, the resistor pack is bypassed.

northstar

TDI
Jetta,2000,sliver,5sp
At first I thought that the thermal fuse was open. I purchased one for $2.5 at a local electronics parts store. Upon further investigation I determined that one of the resistor legs was open. I was able to bypass this leg by soldering a wire around it. The fan now only has 3 speeds instead of four. Setting # 3&4 are now full bypass & are max speed. I checked the fan & it looked OK. I wanted to remove the fan for a through inspection & to oil the bearings but I could not figure out how to get at it. I will be ordering a Bently service manual & I hope that this type of detail is provided. Does anyone know if the CD version can be copied?. Thanks everyone for all the help.