Dealer vs self tune

mposey519

TDI
Black 2001 VW Golf GLS
So what's the difference/Benefit between buying/renting the tune flashing hardware and doing it yourself and having a tuning dealer do it for you?

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Some folks have more than one tune. I have heard unconfirmed rumors why that is needed. An economy tune for road trips switchable to the power tune later. If you plan on upgrading in three or four steps I could see your own flashing hardware as useful. Does Kentucky check your emissions?

I got a tune after bigger injectors. Before I get another tune I will do some air flow mods, then a different turbo, and then another tune. That should be all I need.

Some folks resell their flashing hardware on here for cheaper but then the vendor who sells em will charge you a transfer fee! And different hardware only fits certain years.

mposey519

TDI
Black 2001 VW Golf GLS
Kentucky hasn't checked emissions since 2005.

I've been considering the ecotune for road trips, but would like to be able to tune for performance for normal driving(once I get the cash and upgrade injectors.)

Didn't know if I was missing out on something by doing it myself.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
You shouldn't need two separate tunes for 'mileage' and 'power'.. A good tune that makes great power should also be perfect for driving down the highway at normal speeds.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It also can depend on what other, if any, mods you may have. If the car is otherwise totally stock (and healthy), a standard map of the 'off-the-menu' variety is perfectly adequate.

But if you've done a bunch of other things, then maybe something a bit more tailored to your car is needed to make best use of the whole package. In this case, someone who knows what they are doing with the software changes can be advantageous.

I also myself like to be certain the car is in good order otherwise, first. Lots of people come in our shop wanting more power and think a software change (or "chips" to use the outdated term) is what is needed, when in fact the last clown that did the M&P timing belt job has the pump timing so far off the graph the car runs like crap. And it'll run like crap tuned, too.

mposey519

TDI
Black 2001 VW Golf GLS
It also can depend on what other, if any, mods you may have. If the car is otherwise totally stock (and healthy), a standard map of the 'off-the-menu' variety is perfectly adequate.
But if you've done a bunch of other things, then maybe something a bit more tailored to your car is needed to make best use of the whole package. In this case, someone who knows what they are doing with the software changes can be advantageous.
I also myself like to be certain the car is in good order otherwise, first. Lots of people come in our shop wanting more power and think a software change (or "chips" to use the outdated term) is what is needed, when in fact the last clown that did the M&P timing belt job has the pump timing so far off the graph the car runs like crap. And it'll run like crap tuned, too.
As best I have been able to tell, everything is stock on the Golf. I'll not be tinkering much(so I say now...a week into ownership,,,we'll see). :D

I'd still prefer to be able to swap tunes based on usage, but will probably have Skunkwerx check it over first.