Can I convert my GT1749vb to a 17/22 turbo?

jasonvictory86

TDI
2000 New Beetle
I have a VNT17 (gt1749vb) and I wanted to know if I could convert it to a 17/22 turbo. I have a snail shell off of a 17/22 that was in a totaled car.

Do people sell just the cartridge or can I rebuild my current cartridge into a 17/22?

The only place online I've seen do this kind of thing is G Pop shop but I've seen more negative than positive reviews here on the forums.

Thanks!

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Short answer yes, is it advisable not really.
Turbo shafts spin at 16,000 + rpm and deal with tolerances of .0001 of an inch, a 10th of a gram imbalance will cause the turbo to blow apart.
Most people have had mixed results with rebuilt turbo's that are done professionally from a shop that has the correct equipment to balance the turbo and check clearances.
Yes you can build your own turbo but it is a bit of a gamble.

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
Short answer yes, is it advisable not really.
Turbo shafts spin at 16,000 + rpm and deal with tolerances of .0001 of an inch, a 10th of a gram imbalance will cause the turbo to blow apart.
Most people have had mixed results with rebuilt turbo's that are done professionally from a shop that has the correct equipment to balance the turbo and check clearances.
Yes you can build your own turbo but it is a bit of a gamble.
Turbos spin in excess of 100k rpm when pushed.

Essentially, you'd have to be extremely confident in the ability of your builder/balancer. GLITDI is right, imbalance at those RPM's is a recipe catastrophic failure

Last edited:

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
Yeah, could work but could be a bust, depends on your builder.

Just sell me the 17 and move on!

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I don't think I'd destroy a perfectly good vnt17 to make a 17/22.
^^ Not enough difference. Your VB is a nice turbo and responsive to most mods and tunes.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Many years ago, we bought 6 turbos from G-Pop. They were close on the map, so we tried them. We blew two within a week and lucky we didn't blow the engines. They tried to blame us. When we questioned them about their workmanship, they weren't even checking the stop for the VNT! Besides that, they use a balancer that spins a 120 rpm... sorry, but we like ours balanced to at least 150,000 rpm. So, our opinion, we made our mistake that we hope you don't repeat.

I installed the Gt1749VB in my own ride... best bang for the buck, it's a heck of a deal, but I don't like the 'restrictor plate' adapter. The stock VNT-15 has a larger exhaust.

Right now, we are working through some technical stuff for the turbos and expect to have some interesting stuff soon.