Malone tune...now rolling coal

branden

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I have a 2004 BEW that I recently had tuned with Malone's stage 1.5...everything is great, but on WOT (every gear shift), I have a puff of black smoke. I have 200,000 miles on my car, so could this just be my intake manifold be cleaned out by the higher boost pressure?

branden

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
My car had no smoke whatsoever before the tune (other than a puff on cold startup)...isn't the smoke due to it burning rich?

psrumors

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
The smoke is due to more fuel being injected sooner than what was stock. It spools the turbo sooner and make more power. It is normal.

Kman308

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW 2.0 DSG
If I didn't have a white JSW, I'd almost wish for a little more smoke from mine. After my spring mods (DPF and EGR delete, 2.5" exhaust, Malone II, and DSG tune). Sort of kidding here, but if I had a touch of smoke combined with the sick smells of a super clean burning TDI, the aroma would be more welcoming. I don't mind the smell of a diesel in the morning (when there's a little unburnt fuel in the air with it). But the smell of this clean burn at idle is pretty narsty. Not complaining here, but does anyone agree?

wakdady

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
i have a similar "issue".

I've had my stock 01 jetta alh since 2005. it's now 2014 and i finally have enough disposable income to throw some money at it. I just installed (this month) pp764's, intercooler, 17/22, tdtuning race stage 4 tune, buzzken 2.5 no cat no muffler, racepipe.
and it smokes, also smells a bit funky. the sound at idle is like a buzzing noise.

EVERYTHING about my car is completely different than it used to be.
but once you get used to it...... it's awesome!

you too, will get used to the nuances of smoke, odor, power, etc.
enjoy!

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
i have a similar "issue".

I've had my stock 01 jetta alh since 2005. it's now 2014 and i finally have enough disposable income to throw some money at it. I just installed (this month) pp764's, intercooler, 17/22, tdtuning race stage 4 tune, buzzken 2.5 no cat no muffler, racepipe.
and it smokes, also smells a bit funky. the sound at idle is like a buzzing noise.

EVERYTHING about my car is completely different than it used to be.
but once you get used to it...... it's awesome!

you too, will get used to the nuances of smoke, odor, power, etc.
enjoy!
my 2004 has the same Malone 1.5 tune with no smoke whatsoever

it smokes and smells because you removed the cat converter:rolleyes:

put it back on, problem solved

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
Plus, I wouldn't call that rolling coal. A puff of black smoke is what most diesel vehicles pre DPFs did anyway! Rolling coal is the people that put the EVRY mod on their ALH with nozzles, or the Durabro's with dual 6" stacks replicating an old locomotive on the highway with their 35's.

A little puff of exhaust is expected with the tune, especially since your car doesn't have a DPF.

psrumors

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
So do one of these deleted TDIs smell different to an old Powerstroke 7,3 that never had anything to begin with? I love the smell of my 7.3

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 1990 Corrado G60 (AHU soon)
It would have been nice if you would have contacted me prior to posting on forums....
its not like the forum is concerned about the product he received. Everyone has pretty much told him its a non issue.
And definitely not rolling coal. Rolling coal is when the people around you are scowling or making gestures that they are choking on the black plume of smoke that you have just clouded out a square block with.