Rebult turbo pouring oil out of tailpipe

robertyateman

TDI
So i cleaned my intake manifold exhaust manifold and egr and cleaned turbo put it all back together today and when i started it up oil was coming right out of my tailpipe at a pretty fast rate. Not sure if i might have hooked something up wrong but the turbo was in working order and i bought a new vnt. PLease help i need to drive up to work with it in another two days

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Was this your own turbocharger that you cleaned? If so, sounds like you tooefed it when you cleaned it.

You have basically 4 choices:

1) buy one from the dealer
2) buy one from a vendor like Boraparts or IDparts and have them overnight it
3) get help from a friend that happens to have one laying around
4) find an amazingly well stocked junk yard and get one from them

Of these, 1 and 4 I'd probably try to stay away from. Good luck with the rest. Pretty much, if you have a turbocharger that leaks that badly, then you need a new unit. It isn't something you can fix yourself.

Sorry...

PH

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I would pull the turbo boost hose off at the turbo. Check to see if you have any free play ( up and down movement of the shaft) and how much oil is in the compressor side.

A engine with a plugged up intake and turbo not making boost can hide some inter problems.
Like a lot of blow by, so check to see if there is blow by coming out the top breather.
if there is it could be a broken ring or piston problems.

If it is the turbo it could have a bad seal ( they are like little steel rings on the shaft)
or the oil return line is plugged. This will force oil right by the seals.
Bob Mann

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
yes it was drained. I cleaned everything . I took it all of an 01 and mine is a 99.5 so I have my turbo here too. I cleaned it all because my vnt broke on my last one.

What did you actually do to clean it? Just the vnt? Or did you take the whole housing apart and pull out the shaft?

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
"took the shaft out"

what did you do wth the shaft seals, and how did you rebalance the rotating assembly on rebuild?

robertyateman

TDI
Didn't really rebuild just cleaned n bought new gaskets n bolts. Stupid me didn't even notice any washers. Bearting in the shaft seemed to have no play so I didn't replace inner rotating shaft

robertyateman

TDI
I took it off my car from underneath thismorning the big metal ring behind the turbin has allot of play for some reason. i need to get my hands on some cutting torqes to get my other turbo apart then im going to switch it in and try that. Hopefully all goes well

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Took the shaft out and everything cleaned with easy off and sanded it.

Bummer, sounds like you did something wrong for sure. If you take the shaft out you need to mark up the compressor wheel, nut and the end of the shaft too so you can out them back in the exact same spot to keep the balance.

Metal seal? You mean the big domed looking washer? That's a heat shield thing for the back of the vnt, has to go the right way round or it's loose. The seals are actually like piston rings in a way, they kinda look similar but smaller, there's one at each end.

I should have pics around from when I rebuilt mine but can't find them just now.

robertyateman

TDI
carbonbl I gotter I dont know why you lost hope so fast. I found a rubber seal on the middle part of the shaft thats attached to the two rotors and it had a crack. So i used part of my original turbo and installed it onto the manifold while attached to the car:/ everything seems to be working. Exept i couldnt get two of the bolts into the rear of the turbo im going to have to manufacture some wrenches up.

The only thing left to do is record my turbo with my vagcom, witch i'm unsure of how to do make sure i'm not over boosting.

Thanks for everyones help again you guys got me threw another project lol

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What rubber part? There's no rubber inside the turbo other than the gaskets for the housings?

CNGVW

Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I rebuild turbos in house and some times those little parts fall out.
Do not use that turbo if it comes apart it could junk your engine.

You most of lost one of the seals it is like a piston ring but the size 1/8 round.
Just fine a good turbo now.
Bob Mann

robertyateman

TDI
Last thing my turbo and maf are staying the same at all rpm the maf is about 420 give or take 50 and the turbo is 1000 give or take 100. Not sure if i just need to adjust my wastegate ??

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Doesn't sound like the waste gate is moving at all, you sure it's connected?

Kevinski4

TDI
Your turbo doesn't have a wastegate. Did you actually drive it or just rev it in neutral while watching the data?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's not childs play but sometimes it takes a bit of a disaster to learn ha ha

But they are pretty simple really, just need to take care and not charge on without any knowledge, also be sure to have things balanced. The main assembly is pretty straight forward though, not a lot of parts involved.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
It's not childs play but sometimes it takes a bit of a disaster to learn ha ha

But they are pretty simple really, just need to take care and not charge on without any knowledge, also be sure to have things balanced. The main assembly is pretty straight forward though, not a lot of parts involved.

They aren't simple and shouldn't be treated as such, ESPECIALLY a diesel where a failure can result in runaway condition causing engine damage and/or property damage or even killing someone if you can't stop the car.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
They aren't simple and shouldn't be treated as such, ESPECIALLY a diesel where a failure can result in runaway condition causing engine damage and/or property damage or even killing someone if you can't stop the car.
Turbos are just metal, no magic involved.

Now, computer controlled things, those are magic.

ETA: did you poke a wire through the drain passages? any kind of backup of oil and these things'll leak.

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI

They're VERY simple, I rebuilt mine a while back and it's tuned, never burns a drop of oil (engine oil) boosts spot on, very smooth.

I did say they do need to be balanced and that's the important part, also helps if you put all the parts in the right place when assembling.

But I don't think the fault is with the turbo in this particular instance rather than someone diving in without paying attention and reading up some simple info first. Common human error and one way that we often learn.

robertyateman

TDI
Sir please step away from the vehicle.
Gotta agree, rebuilding turbo's isn't child's play.
I just wanted to let everybody know. This was simple it doesn't take a rocket scientist. It was leaking oil because the seal was ****ed on the turbo probably from me cleaning it. So i put the other turbo back on all cleaned up with a new actuator. I was getting no boost and a steady reading of 400-500 on my maf because my actuator rod wasn't adjusted right. I just re adjusted it and now everything works fine except that my maf is reading higher then the "maf actual" number by about 200 and this is because my egr valve is defective somehow but I don't really care because i am getting proper boost and everything else is running perfect ! So for those that were negative and not helpful you can read between the lines.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Pretty smug for a guy who got lucky in that he screwed up the turbine seal rather than the compressor seal.

robertyateman

TDI
Pretty smug for a guy who got lucky in that he screwed up the turbine seal rather than the compressor seal.
not being smug. People that arnt helpful and are negitve shouldn't comment. And I might not have ruined any seal. It could have already been ruined it was off my parts car I thought the turbo was good on. Not sure if it was leaking oil out the turbo because I only had it running forn 15 mins before I parked it. :) nice try though.