Theos Audi A4 B7 Quattro

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
Manifold

Today me and a friend started early and build a manifold. It went quite alright and now its 99% finished.

Collector and new turbo, GTB2260VKLR.

Almost ready after some pickling gel treatment, not 100% welds but I think this manifold will last long.

Im waiting for my slightly modified pistons to arrive and some other stuff but will start putting the engine together soon, maybe tomorrow.

Theo

Last edited:

struikie

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d E91
that is really snug to the engine...
I am curious if you can retain the stock airbox...
which I would prefer... any other airfilter (even my BMC) wil make more noise...

JW

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
You see that thin aluminum sheet, that simulates the frame/stock airbox. It will be tight but it will fit:) A new slim enginenmount is needed for this! Im almost ready with mine.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
also fitted the v12 vk ths weekend on a 2.0 cr in the exeo, retains stock airbox =), spools really good too

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
send me an email and I will mail them, I have no good solution to host them, then you can post them if you like

struikie

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d E91
hmmm... thats not far from the position the VK is on my BLB...
my actuator sticks out to the left though...

(I reused a waterhose used for the EGRcooler to connect the CCV breather to the intake...)

JW

Last edited:

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes Ruben if yearly inspection was no problem I would build a decent manifold and have the turbo over the frame to the left(right), like they often build on older Audis with big turbos.

JTT

Veteran Member
TDI
ARL
was very curious about how you would shape the manifold, nice work!
great weldings, perfect use of heat!

the push actuator had also allowed you to use stock actuator position
but you werent able to make the manifold like this.

the turbo isnt complete new, but CHRA is :D

makes me happy to see this, keep up the great work.

best regards

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
stock airbox aint that bad, max I observed was 4kPa depression with dirty filter, 2,3 bar boost at 4500 rpm

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
was very curious about how you would shape the manifold, nice work!
great weldings, perfect use of heat!

the push actuator had also allowed you to use stock actuator position
but you werent able to make the manifold like this.

the turbo isnt complete new, but CHRA is :D

makes me happy to see this, keep up the great work.

best regards
Thanks,.it could have been done better, but I think it will do the job. Welded an oil return and
Fixed everything with watercooling today. Hope to start putting bottom end together next week.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Theo, small question, is there a chance you can change you sprung sinter disc for a sprung origanic ( in case you did not install it already) and then you can have the srpung sinter disc on this car, it has has around 1500 km on it but with no hard launches or anything.. it is for the customer just to harsh to use in traffic jams (yes, they are plenty in belgium). offcourse my customer would pay you extra for it and for the expences like shipping and handling. I feel it is silly to throw a like new disc in the bin.

for the rest I suggest you to use decent intercoolers and exhaust. the car dynod 240 hp flat between 3200 and 5200 rpm. without any smoke and IAT approaching 80 degC at the end of a short dynorun. also the exh backpressure rises over .5 bar after 4000 rpm. peaking at 650g by 5000 rpm. peak torque was around 530 Nm

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
I dont understand the question, does he have a sintered disk and wants a organic ?
I have a 4puck sinter and that cant help him? The organic have a torque spec of 565nm or so and the 4 puck 600nm, I want.to be safe..

Yes I think intercooler is important, I have meassured and ordered as big as possible almost so hope it will be fine. I will use a 69mm downpipe and where downpipe meets rest of exhaust it goes down to 63mm/2,5". In rear exhaust split to 2x2" with a steinless 2" muffler on each side like stock.

Bobby Singh

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi 3.0 TDI
If you could return / exchange the one you have for a orangic plate. Once you have it sell it to rubs customer with money on top and he gives you the one from the cutomers car that has only done 1500km

Hopefully i havent added confusion.

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
Then I understand, thanks Bobby.

It was long time since I bought mine so I doubt that.. And If everything goes well the engine is in the car next week some time... But I can send DLI a mail and ask if you like. remember it wil be around ~100-120 euro in shippingcosts (need to send and pay for shipping back here in sweden also)

Let me know if I should try..
BTW to celebrate holiday im Drinking Belgium beer Ruben, best there is! :)

Theo

Last edited:

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A little update..

I have started to take the car apart. A intercooler is under modifying and a new exhaust is under construction, everything is steinless steel and should look like this:

Really nice room for intercooler and very short pipes is possible! Thats something else compared to Golf,A3,Leon etc. :)

Engine is comming together nicely to.

Arp bults for main bearings, Rosten performance I-profile rods.

Head is on to..

More to come in the near future!

Theo

JTT

Veteran Member
TDI
ARL
yes, intercooling piping on the transversely mounted 1,9 TDIs is not really optimal...

you should think about the exhaust restriction to 63mm,
I realised backpressure of about 70mBar on a 60mm exhaust and a flow of 15lbs/min
on a genset last days.

you will have 0,2-0,3Bar backressure with the 63mm pipe at higher revs,
something which probably has to be improved :)

regards

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for constructive critic JTT
I think it will work good enough for my goals. All mufflers are "straight" trough type and there are no sharp bends anywhere on the exhaust. I also think about the looks for yearly inspections, a full 3" system screams tuuned a little to much. its all a compromise
I try this way first and if it shows that exhaust is the limit I rebuild it later.

Theo

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
"1.8T Oil pump pickup tube - 06B115251" doesnt fit with the oilpan!

Anyone knows if there is a pickup that fits with this engine? If not how much clearance to bottom of oilpan is needed?

Struikie do you know? Maybe your BLB have different oilpan compared to my BRE...

Theo

mk3pd

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Passat Quattro :)
Not sure which pick-up
But you could use oil pan from Passat or A4 8V PD
Oil pump from PD130/150 has more flow than PD100/115/1.8t also

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright. I have a oilpan from a Passat PD115 and it fits over the oilpickup because PD115 have the same pickup pipe as this "1,8T".
The problem is that this PD115 pan doesnt fit in the car, enginemount etc. is not the same.
I guess you mean that I should use a pan from 2,0PD 8V 140 Passat/A4 etc.? Tough it feels strange that they are different from this 2,0 16V PD140 pan.

Theo