HPFP symptoms?

4whlr

TDI
2011 Wagen
Are there any symptoms to the hpfp going bad? My 2011 has been studdering once in a while this past week. It feels like when you are driving on a wet road and hit a puddle that momentarily slows the vehicle down. Lasts maybe a 1/4 of a second.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Does this "studder" occur only at very slight acceleration , at between 1800 and 2200 rpms, and only when the engine is cold. If yes, it is probably normal. Usually HPFP failures are sudden and complete. They don't usually give any warning. Do not believe that all little problems are HPFP related. There is much more to your car than that one part and anything can go wrong. It's far too early to panic.

Have Fun!

Don

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2011 Touareg TDI
IT's that time of year again for intercooler icing. Your car is more likely to have that problem than the hpfp.

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI~LOVE/HATE~
Are there any symptoms to the hpfp going bad? My 2011 has been studdering once in a while this past week. It feels like when you are driving on a wet road and hit a puddle that momentarily slows the vehicle down. Lasts maybe a 1/4 of a second.
open the fuel filter canister and look for metal flakes...thats about the only way to tell.
and yes the others are right when they go bad most the time they go right then....

Last edited:

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
IT's that time of year again for intercooler icing. Your car is more likely to have that problem than the hpfp.
That's my thinking, too. Are you in a more coastal/foggier area of Alaska?

In the right kind of humidity conditions, some water will collect in the intercooler. Under a hard acceleration, some water will get sucked up and ingested into the engine. The engine doesn't like water much -- it's not burnable, and it's not compressible. So the car will hiccup for a moment. You may see a whitish puff out the back -- water vapor. It feels like the engine has 'mis-fired'.....kind of a hesitation/stumbling.

Does this sound like what you experienced?

I've only had this happen in the fall here in Michigan. Maybe in the spring, too. But not in summer or winter when the conditions aren't conducive to forming condensation.

If this is the problem you're experiencing, one thing to do is 'get on it' once in a while. Rev it up to 4000rpm during accelerations (after the car has been warmed up). Blow out the intercooler to keep it free of condensation.

From what I've gathered, HPFP failures are sudden. No warning signs except in the few minutes before the car goes kaput.

4whlr

TDI
2011 Wagen
I live in Anchorage, hasn't been foggy. Actually been pretty warm for this part of the world too. Just started about a week ago. doesn't happen every day, just once in a while. Car has 19k miles. It happens when the car is warm and at different times. Not happening at rpm's less than 2k. Its happend when accelerating and while cruising. Don't think condensation is building up in the intercooler. Car see's 4000 rpm almost every time its driven.

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
Does not sound like an intercooler icing issue.

I live in Anchorage, hasn't been foggy. Actually been pretty warm for this part of the world too. Just started about a week ago. doesn't happen every day, just once in a while. Car has 19k miles. It happens when the car is warm and at different times. Not happening at rpm's less than 2k. Its happend when accelerating and while cruising. Don't think condensation is building up in the intercooler. Car see's 4000 rpm almost every time its driven.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
+1 on there is really no HPFP symptoms...it seems to just go out of no where based on all the internet posts.

Yamasaki

TDI
'12 Golf TDI
Same thing happens to my '12 TDI. It does usually happen between 1800 and 2200 RPM's like posted above, but the car is usually warmed up. Interested to see if anyone figures out what this is. It's a manual if that matters.

gotdesl?

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi Cup Edition; 2004 VW R32 DBP
I too have this happened to me a couple of times. I have noticed that it only happened on severly cold nights, 10F with a wind chill at like 5 below. I usually stop let it idle for like 10 seconds and then it's usually gone. Happened about 3 seperate times never once back to back or it continiously did it.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I think you are describing

a shudder, hill crest flutter, or something like the feeling of a momentary lack fuel, which is well documented on the forums. My understanding is that it is completely "normal' for our engine. I can't say I enjoy the feeling, but I can live with it and have been living with it since the car was new. Some people reported that it diminished in effect or frequency with one of the ECU updates, but I didn't experience any change. For me I think it might happen more frequently when the car is still warming up, but it can also happen at almost anytime under the right circumstances.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
Funny how these threads happen. My car, about 3 weeks ago, after being parked in my warm garage overnight, it wasn't cold out either, I started it, backed out into the street and POOF, it started mis-firing, sounded like it dropped at least one cyl, maybe 2 for about 4 seconds. It cleared up and didn't happen again for probably 2,000 miles until today. Today it happened with the car warm, after being parked for about 20 minutes. I started it and it started missing again, lasted about 5 seconds, kept missing until I brought it up to about 3000 rpm. Drove another 60 miles, parked it for about 20-30 minutes, same thing again. It's DRY and COLD here today, low 20's. Since it happened after being parked in my warm garage, after being driven all day and has only happened within 30 or so seconds of first starting, I'm baffled. No CEL and runs fine once it goes through this little fit. I've got VAG so I"m going to check it out either tongiht or tommarow night. I'll keep you posted. 11 golf, 25K, man 6spd.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
BTW, no other issues. Runs great after the first start-up. I was with the tech when I got my free oil change at 20K and he changed the fuel filter and it was perfect, no dirt/metal/debris. I do my own LOF at 5K intervals, ie 5K, 15K and I'm going to do my 25K probably tommarow and I'll pop the filter housing top off and check for debris.