where is cooling fan relay

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Under the battery tray. It looks like this (mine is unbolted from its location so I could take the picture):

If the fans are not working, you can disconnect the plug that attaches to the radiator and jump 2 of the wires to bypass the relay. That way you can test to see if the fans work or not. If they work, test the sensor in the rad. I'm not sure what the ohm range should be as I don't have my bentleys with me. Maybe someone else can chime in with that info. Also, don't forget to check the fuses. The center fuse under the battery cover is for the fans.

Good luck.

GTDI4

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
Does the A/C work? With the A/C on The fans should work.If they don't come on it's the control module. As in the pic part #1J0 919 506 N ( VW ). If the fans work with the A/C on then don't fot get to check #16 fuse in the car and the fuses on top of the batt.- S164 and S180
let me know if that helps before going farther

pmkg

TDI
2000 tdi bettle, F350 crew cab, yanmar 1500d 4x4
I'm having a problem with my 2000 beetle did timing belt yesterday. Runs great but when I turn the key on the radiator cooling fans cycle on and off and this 506 relay clicks on and off I also do not have any a/c which was fine before the tb. When driving at night when the fan goes on and off the lights dim slightly. Any ideas?
Thanks

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
The fan relay is attached to the underside of the frame rail, below the battery tray. But before you start taking stuff apart, check the fuse block on top of the battery. Fuse #8 provides power to the fan relay.