new owner of tdi passat 2012

TDI
2012 Passat SE
I am driving from Atlanta, GA to Dallas, TX today. This being my first TDI I am not sure how often I'll have to take breaks. With my camry hybrid I used to gas it up and go. Can I do the same with TDI?

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I'm not really sure what the question is. You certainly can just put fuel into your TDI and then go. You can go without a break until you run out of fuel if you wish. Then just refill and keep going.

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Thanks for the answer. not knowing much about diesel engines I wasn't sure if I needed to take any extra care such as taking break and lets the engine cool down a bit etc....

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I took delivery of mine in Miami and drove by myself to Seattle in 6 days. Vary the engine speed a bit, but otherwise smile, crank up the tunes, and enjoy.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
You should stop about every 800 miles and give your bladder a break, put about 18 gallons of D2 in when you stop for your bladder break. :)

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
Watch the nozzle size at some on some truck or older diesel pumps. Restrictor in the filler neck on your Passat is smaller diameter and the larger nozze won't fit. Find a newer pump rather than spill diesel on your new Passat, your shoes, pants, hand and socks (it won't evaporate like gas). I keep a small pack of hand cleaner towelettes in the trunk to clean up if needed. I also look for stations with a lot of traffic. My theory is that the fuel will be fresher. Last but not least, you can't open the filler door if the car is locked.

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Thanks for all the answers. I did made that trip. whoa whoa! about 1 1/4 tank got me from Atlanta, GA to Fort worth TX. 43 MPG at steady 75 MPH.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Thanks for all the answers. I did made that trip. whoa whoa! about 1 1/4 tank got me from Atlanta, GA to Fort worth TX. 43 MPG at steady 75 MPH.
43MPG isn't bad at that speed, when you really want to see what you can do MPG wise start slowing down in 5 MPG increments on your trips! ;)

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
If it's a 2 year old Passat, there is no break in period. Just drive it!