2015 timing belt kits hard to find...autozone ?

tdi christian

TDI
2015 golf tdi s
Hi All,
I have a 2015 golf tdi that got in the great vw sale of 2017.
All has been beautiful, but now water pump has a slow leak at 60k and wanting to replace timing belt at the same time.
Hardly anyone is selling kits for these, not even dieselgeek.
Any recommended sources and are there enhanced rollers, belts, pumps so can push change out even further out ?
Thanks !

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There aren't any "enhanced" kits that go beyond the recommended 120K mile change interval.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
make sure you have the proper tools as well, don't think you can run to autozone for their lendatool program for crank locks and other stuffs.

tdi christian

TDI
2015 golf tdi s
thanks for tip, i have a vietnamese cowboy mechanic who has the most loaded down truck one could imagine, but will double check if he needs extra tools.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
"cowboy mechanic" and "TDI timing belt" - two phrases that should never be in close proximity.

Homerjj

TDI
1984 Jetta Turbodiesel, 1983 Caddy AAZ, 2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
True statement.
I will add "Autozone" to that mix.
This may not end well.
I second that... You can't be screwing with timing belt stuff on all fronts... from parts to your mechanic... no offense..

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
well technically you can, you just end up with more headaches and more work for the cowboy mechanic ;)

tdi christian

TDI
2015 golf tdi s
He finally had time to come over and replace the timing belt. It was super hot but setup an umbrella and fan and it took him about 4 hours to do it.
The place bought kit from was out of replacement tool kit, but he didn't need it last time and he just made marks and used some screwdrivers like he did last time.
The crappy oem waterpump had no visible wear and tear, but the ball bearings rattled like crazy when turning.
The belt area had oil and fluid from the pump and the antifreeze had ground metal in it from the crappy pump as well.
He ran the timing belt by hand a few times to make sure nothing moved from the marks and started her up.
Super quiet from the get go and i drove her down to ocean city and the mileage was even higher (56 mpg) and the temps never got over 228 even when going around 80 with 94 degrees.
He charged $280 for the work, but i payed him 500...savings of 2000 from dealer
Another win for the Viet cowboy mechanic !

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Hard to place any faith in a "mark and pray" timing belt job. My suspicious nature says they weren't out, he just never uses them and that is the excuse. I hope it all goes well for you though.

tdi christian

TDI
2015 golf tdi s
Thanks, he is old school quality and he learns the new stuff through youtube as well.
He replaced timing belt on my old beetle and didn't have any problem with it until i gave it away probably 60k miles later.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Is this a real thread???

:rolleyes:

+ + =

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Sadly, it is probably.
Makes for good reading anyhoo. I may have to post my 190 mpg picture (from instant mpg... But dont tell anyone) ;)

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
I just had mine changed yesterday. Only a OEM kit is available for a 2015. I had my car back in under 24 hours. The kit comes with the belt, tensioners, waterpump, gasket and all the stretch bolts and nuts, etc.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I just had mine changed yesterday. Only a OEM kit is available for a 2015.
I'm confused. Are you saying the kits I listed in post #2 aren't available? Or that kits are only available from the dealer? Or that kits only contain items from Original Equipment Manufacturers (which is generally what we'd want anyway)?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Kits are available from Gates and Continental. Both are OE belt suppliers to VW, and the tensioners are finished by Litens, who are OE. Rollers are either GMB or INA. INA is OE. OE water pumps have composite impellers, which most TDI drivers don't want, but there are good aftermarket brands available, Geba, Hepu Graf, Saleri are a few.