If I can't have a VW TDI - I'm going full electric

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
Saw an SEL Alltrack, yesterday. White on black. Norwood said they got it 3 days ago, as I was in trying to find out how to spend the $500 card. Looks great. Nice bigger wheels, and tasteful alumimun dials, etc. I think I'm done with the brand, but found myself telling the guy the space efficiency of the JSW body will be missed. He said he expects it's Audi who will lose some customers, and pointed the sticker. $36,XXX.
I'm not so sure. I saw an Audi Allroad for $40k (mainly because wagons don't sell in Texas). I'd be sorely tempted to spend the extra $4k to get the Audi, though VW does a great job (or Audi does a poor job) of loading up the extras that Audi charges you for. ACC is one big example.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Speaking of "safe spaces" and contrary opinions, there are a few people on the TDI forum are getting bent out of shape about some casual discussion of alternative vehicles, as if TDIClub is their own personal "safe space" and echochamber. TDIClub isn't "TDI only," and members are free to discuss other transportation options, other fuel sources, and other brands. Let's focus on having productive discussions without evangelists from either side belittling each other for sport.
Thank you for your opinion on the TDI Forum, in the Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal section. I respectfully disagree in many ways. Have a nice day.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
I knew you were young, but had no idea... This explains a lot, but you do type well for a 2 yr old. JUST KIDDING... :D

Let us know when you buy your EV dream machine.
Actually it is just the opposite. I'm so old my bladder control is as reliable as a VW. ?

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Different vehicles are useful for different applications. I would no more take an all electric on a cross country four day trip than I would take a cigarette boat on a trans-Atlantic voyage.

But as a vehicle for local travel within its daily range, that spends every night in its own driveway or garage, why not?

freeman

TDI
2003 JSW, 2009 Jetta sedan, to 2013 Passat SEL
Volt

Just spent the last several weeks driving all sorts of cars to decide what I wanted to replace the Passat with. Was looking at the E-tron and the Volt (and the Prius, Camry Hybrid, A4, Legacy, Lexus Hybrid, etc). I came across a loaded Premier - just no adaptive cruise - with MRSP of $39,890 for $32,000 (hail damage all cleared with PDR)- so I decided to pull the trigger early (sure hope there is no problem with the buy out). With tax credit will drop to $24,500 cost. I just could not justify the extra $15,000 -20,000(depending on trim) and the extra gasoline cost for the E-tron even though I liked it better. I have a 60 mile commute daily and the forums show the Volt getting over 60 miles in warmer weather and down to 40's miles in winter. The Volt gets in the 40's mpg on gas alone so I expect to average a gallon of gas per week for the year. With a full charge and gas tank it will go over 400 miles before you have to fill it up and you can drive on gas alone all day if you needed to. The owner satisfaction scores are excellent, especially for the Gen 2 model. Not as fun to drive as the E-tron but quieter then the Passat. The practically and cost difference won out.

ChimneyJim

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 SportWagen SEL
Just spent the last several weeks driving all sorts of cars to decide what I wanted to replace the Passat with. Was looking at the E-tron and the Volt (and the Prius, Camry Hybrid, A4, Legacy, Lexus Hybrid, etc). I came across a loaded Premier - just no adaptive cruise - with MRSP of $39,890 for $32,000 (hail damage all cleared with PDR)- so I decided to pull the trigger early (sure hope there is no problem with the buy out). With tax credit will drop to $24,500 cost. I just could not justify the extra $15,000 -20,000(depending on trim) and the extra gasoline cost for the E-tron even though I liked it better. I have a 60 mile commute daily and the forums show the Volt getting over 60 miles in warmer weather and down to 40's miles in winter. The Volt gets in the 40's mpg on gas alone so I expect to average a gallon of gas per week for the year. With a full charge and gas tank it will go over 400 miles before you have to fill it up and you can drive on gas alone all day if you needed to. The owner satisfaction scores are excellent, especially for the Gen 2 model. Not as fun to drive as the E-tron but quieter then the Passat. The practically and cost difference won out.

I hope you like it as much as I do. Torque is outstanding. Quiet and rock solid.

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
That's a heck of a deal! I'm sure you'll love it. With your longer commute, the Volt seems like the best choice.

There was a local dealer that actually had a new 2014 on the lot for $25k. I'm assuming it was still eligible for the $7500 tax credit which would have made it a screaming deal. It doesn't have quite the range of the Generation 2 Volts, but still.

My local Chevy dealer knew I was looking but wasn't willing to move on price. It was a fully loaded version that cost basically what I got the e-tron for.

johnb102

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
My new car

My decision is made - see my profile picture. I am patiently waiting for my new car, and hope it is here by the end of the trade in period.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
33% of electricity comes from coal and 33% comes from natural gas. Since a particular political party now officially hates mining of all forms (and don't even get them started on the evils of nuclear power), expect the cost of electricity to continue to rise as it will be many years before solar/wind/hydroelectric can take up the slack (if ever). And as more people move to electric vehicles, the cost will rise even faster. The pessimist in me says the day will come when the CPM for gas/diesel power will be lower than for electric. Note that from the info below, only 13% of electricity comes from renewable sources. The other 87% comes from sources that are political targets. Is it hard to predict a significant jump in electricity rates if political agendas win the day?

Major energy sources and percent share of total U.S. electricity generation in 2015:

Coal = 33%
Natural gas = 33%
Nuclear = 20%
Hydropower = 6%
Other renewables = 7%
Biomass = 1.6%
Geothermal = 0.4%
Solar = 0.6%
Wind = 4.7%​
Petroleum = 1%
Other gases = <1%

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=427&t=3

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
My local Chevy dealer knew I was looking but wasn't willing to move on price. It was a fully loaded version that cost basically what I got the e-tron for.
The unwillingness of these dealerships to move on pricing is baffling to me. I would have bought or leased a Volt a few months ago but the sales person basically told me that whenever I find a dealership willing to match what I was seeing on truecar then he'd match that...so I explained to him that once I was somewhere they'd be willing to drop the price I would just get it from them.

It was the same way with VW when the eGolf first came out. They would stare at me and wouldn't even offer $500 dollars off the sticker instead claiming that I was getting $7500 back from the federal government bringing it way below invoice. You'd think they would use that to their advantage not as the bright line they're unwilling to cross!

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
That has nothing to do with it.
Of course it does. The reason the dealers aren't budging on price is because they know they can sell the car to someone else at a higher price. You honestly think dealerships are just leaving money on the table just to irk you?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Of course it does. The reason the dealers aren't budging on price is because they know they can sell the car to someone else at a higher price. You honestly think dealerships are just leaving money on the table just to irk you?
You're talking about something you don't understand and don't have very much information to base your opinion on.

The reason they sit on these cars is not to sell them to someone else at a higher price, they sit on them because they are worth the incentives they get from CARB to manufacture them but lose money selling them.

Then at the end of the year, when they don't sell, they have to blow them out.

That's why someone just pointed out a new 2014 Volt is still sitting on the lot, the 2016 they gave away, the eTron they gave away, and the eGolfs are now all being given away.

Nothing to do with supply and demand. Everything to do with how the manufacturers are incentivized to produce cars for credit and the dealerships are disincentivized to sell EVs from their lots.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
bizzle might be onto something here. I test drove an e-Golf that had been sitting on the dealer's lot for over six months, and they were none too keen on negotiating the price down. That same car was still there six months after my test drive. Demand? Not so much.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
You're talking about something you don't understand and don't have very much information to base your opinion on.
I know that dealerships are in business to make money, and they're going to do whatever they do to make the most money they can make, in whichever form that may take.

It seems to me your question:

The unwillingness of these dealerships to move on pricing is baffling to me.
Is actually being answered by you:

Everything to do with how the manufacturers are incentivized to produce cars for credit and the dealerships are disincentivized to sell EVs from their lots.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I know that dealerships are in business to make money, and they're going to do whatever they do to make the most money they can make, in whichever form that may take.
If you weren't being so argumentative simply to try and prove yourself right, you'd understand the point being raised that it's counter-productive for a dealership to refuse to budge a few thousand dollars on a year end model simply to discount it 50% in December when it's still sitting on the lot six months later.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
If you weren't being so argumentative simply to try and prove yourself right, you'd understand the point being raised that it's counter-productive for a dealership to refuse to budge a few thousand dollars on a year end model simply to discount it 50% in December when it's still sitting on the lot six months later.
I'm not a dealership, so I have no real dog in the fight and no reason to care about being "right." The bottom line is a dealership (a business) will always do what it needs to do to maximize profits. If that means sitting on a car rather than selling it to you (which seems counterintuitive, but in this case apparently not), that's what they'll do. I don't mean to be argumentative, only pointing out the obvious that you pointed out: it's not a supply/demand issue (as I originally theorized), it's a profitability issue (as you pointed out regarding manufacture incentives that encourage dealerships to sit on inventory). There's never a reason to be "baffled" that someone won't deal with you on your terms. It always comes down to $$$.

Economics always win.

kuklaki

TDI
2011 Audi A3 S-line//Non-TDI: 2016 Audi e-tron
bizzle might be onto something here. I test drove an e-Golf that had been sitting on the dealer's lot for over six months, and they were none too keen on negotiating the price down. That same car was still there six months after my test drive. Demand? Not so much.
Try another dealer. I just bought my e-tron, which are also just sitting on dealer lots not moving very fast. Plus, the new refreshed models are coming, so there is a lot of incentive to move them out. I got quotes on out the door prices that were all over the map. Finally I found a dealer who gave me a very aggressive offer and even came down from that number when I pushed. I couldn't refuse at the number they offered.
If you don't have other dealers near you, call ones in other states. I used an offer from Boston (I am in Atlanta) to bargain.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Dead horse being beaten here.

Some dealerships are willing to deal in order to move old inventory, while others seem more than happy to just sit on old inventory with MSRP stickers in the windshield. Perhaps the former are receiving more incentives for moving inventory than the latter - I don't know. Regardless, you definitely have to shop around in order to get the best value available.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got a quote from a dealer on an eTron for $10K less than sticker.

Of course, once I questioned him on the specifics it turns out that only $2K was coming from the dealership with the rest being tax incentives. Like I said, it's baffling.

To put it outside the EV perspective, if you went in to a dealership to help your child buy a GTI but the sales person kept arguing that he wouldn't take anything off the price because *you* were kicking in $5K then you'd think that was a weird response.

Or if you saw an advertisement for a GTI for $24K but when you got there they told you they assumed you'd have a relative kicking in $5K when they made the ad that would also be a strange conversation.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Try another dealer. I just bought my e-tron, which are also just sitting on dealer lots not moving very fast. Plus, the new refreshed models are coming, so there is a lot of incentive to move them out. I got quotes on out the door prices that were all over the map. Finally I found a dealer who gave me a very aggressive offer and even came down from that number when I pushed. I couldn't refuse at the number they offered.
If you don't have other dealers near you, call ones in other states. I used an offer from Boston (I am in Atlanta) to bargain.
Can I ask what you purchased for. E Tron is high on my list but not sure I can afford it.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd like to know, too. We're thinking of getting an eTron as our second car since we have the eGolf as a fantastic around town car.

I can tell you what I was just quoted via email for a prestige:
"The MSRP for the vehicle is $47,250 and I can sell the vehicle to you for $38,498 including all discounts and store credit combined."

Looking at the figures in the email and after talking to him on the phone, it's $2K discount and then whatever tax incentives he's calculating. That's about what I would expect a '16 prestige to go for these days, that's not the confusing part. The confusing part is a sales person saying, "I can sell you something for $38K" and then finding out he really means he's selling it to me for $44K and that I might get $6K from someone else after the purchase.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I just got a quote from a dealer on an eTron for $10K less than sticker.

Of course, once I questioned him on the specifics it turns out that only $2K was coming from the dealership with the rest being tax incentives. Like I said, it's baffling.

To put it outside the EV perspective, if you went in to a dealership to help your child buy a GTI but the sales person kept arguing that he wouldn't take anything off the price because *you* were kicking in $5K then you'd think that was a weird response.

Or if you saw an advertisement for a GTI for $24K but when you got there they told you they assumed you'd have a relative kicking in $5K when they made the ad that would also be a strange conversation.
It irritates me when they lump the tax credits into their "discounts." The tax credit is something that you get after-the-fact, and shouldn't be included in the up-front pricing unless it's an instant rebate, which it is not. Just my $0.02.

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
33% of electricity comes from coal and 33% comes from natural gas. Since a particular political party now officially hates mining of all forms (and don't even get them started on the evils of nuclear power), expect the cost of electricity to continue to rise as it will be many years before solar/wind/hydroelectric can take up the slack (if ever). And as more people move to electric vehicles, the cost will rise even faster. The pessimist in me says the day will come when the CPM for gas/diesel power will be lower than for electric. Note that from the info below, only 13% of electricity comes from renewable sources. The other 87% comes from sources that are political targets. Is it hard to predict a significant jump in electricity rates if political agendas win the day?

Major energy sources and percent share of total U.S. electricity generation in 2015:

Coal = 33%
Natural gas = 33%
Nuclear = 20%
Hydropower = 6%
Other renewables = 7%
Biomass = 1.6%
Geothermal = 0.4%
Solar = 0.6%
Wind = 4.7%​
Petroleum = 1%
Other gases = <1%

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=427&t=3
So, you don't think the unwillingness to drill will affect gas/diesel prices as well? Right now, electricity is about 1/2 the price per equivalent energy as gasoline. If the prices rise, they'll do so in concert, and I think electricity will remain relatively cheaper. Either way, it's not going to happen overnight.

Longer term, the electric grid will be a limiting factor to having large scale (I mean 30-50% of all drivers are electric) adoption of electric vehicles. There would be a huge amount of infrastructure needed to support that adoption that's just not out there, nor going to happen anytime soon. But I also think we're a long way off from that happening.

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
I'd like to know, too. We're thinking of getting an eTron as our second car since we have the eGolf as a fantastic around town car.

I can tell you what I was just quoted via email for a prestige:
"The MSRP for the vehicle is $47,250 and I can sell the vehicle to you for $38,498 including all discounts and store credit combined."

Looking at the figures in the email and after talking to him on the phone, it's $2K discount and then whatever tax incentives he's calculating. That's about what I would expect a '16 prestige to go for these days, that's not the confusing part. The confusing part is a sales person saying, "I can sell you something for $38K" and then finding out he really means he's selling it to me for $44K and that I might get $6K from someone else after the purchase.
I got essentially that same quote but not including the tax credit. That was a purchase deal. I went with a lease, so they took the credit as a cap reduction. (In the case of the lease, they are the owner of the car, so they get the credit. They can choose, or not choose, to give it to you, so do your diligence.)

My original dealer was pretty tight on the discounts. It wasn't until I started looking at other states around me that I realized there's a wide discrepancy in pricing. Then I went to another dealer, drove a higher spec'd model, and had the guy basically offer me over $8k off of MSRP with out even asking. That's when I got serious about the deal. Found the color/package I wanted in another city, called the dealer, told the first salesman that answered that I'd buy the one on his lot/webpage for XX out the door, and he came back in an hour and said yes. Drove down the following Monday and picked it up.

Lots of fun to drive and after a couple of road trips (where you'll get essentially gas mpg), I'm getting 60 mpg and this tank should be 70-80mpg at least. That doesn't suck.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
So, you don't think the unwillingness to drill will affect gas/diesel prices as well?
Who knows. I expect there will continue to be a surplus in gas/diesel, which will only increase as electric gains momentum. The Saudis aren't just going to close up shop, you know?

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
It irritates me when they lump the tax credits into their "discounts." The tax credit is something that you get after-the-fact, and shouldn't be included in the up-front pricing unless it's an instant rebate, which it is not. Just my $0.02.
I agree, that sucks. Deceptive advertising. I figured out that I needed to explicitly ask that after the first time or so.

Also, be aware that the credit only goes to the first person titling the car. I saw a red e-tron in Orlando that I liked that had 1500 miles on it for ~$35k. I was about to fly out and buy it when I thought to check the credit and realized that I wasn't getting a good deal after all.

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
Who knows. I expect there will continue to be a surplus in gas/diesel, which will only increase as electric gains momentum. The Saudis aren't just going to close up shop, you know?
I'll stick with the historical prices that show gas more expensive than electricity. When/if it flips, then I'll do something else. Though I expect I'll be turning into oil whenever that happens. ;)