B4 Reverse Idler Gear Replacement Help SF Bay Area

hcubed

Hi Guys,
My '96 B4V hasn't had reverse for about 6 months. Believe it or not I've been able to get around without too much trouble, but it'd be nice to have again (can only parallel park facing up a hill - haha).

I've got all the parts (idler gear, clutch kit, rear main seal, etc) and I've got the tools and skills (except maybe the pullers to remove the gears), but living in the city I don't have a place to do the work (transmission removal, splitting, gear replacement, etc). I've come to the realization that I'm probably going to have pay someone to do it - sigh.

So, any recommendations on shops in the area with fair prices who have experience doing this job? Or, anyone here in the area want to do the job with me at their garage? I'll buy beers or even rent the space ;) I work for myself and have a flexible schedule so can work weekdays, nights, whatever.

Thanks.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Get it to Matt in San Anselmo. He's been a travelling guru for years and has now opened his own shop. Screen name is MattAHU.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Silly question - good used 02A's are not that expensive. Why not just replace the transmission?

hcubed

Hi Guys, thanks for the responses! For some reason I didn't get any email notifications. I'll definitely give Matt a call. I'm up in San Anselmo all the time to mountain bike. Yea it's not the shift linkage unfortunately. I haven't really considered the tranny swap. I suppose I should look around at prices...I expected them to be expensive.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
After some back and forth via email, the car showed up in San Anselmo today so I could have a look. Turns out the transmission mount is not bolted to the sub-frame any longer! Created all kinds of fun noises and allowing the whole drivetrain to lift up at an odd angle when in reverse.

Think we'll try fixing that first, then re-assess how well reverse is working in the current transmission :)