$99 tablet

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
Figure some of you guys here would like this:

Today's unit of measurement for scale, tomorrow's banana bread.

Out in the yard with dumb dog while scanning an ECM.

Toshiba Encore Mini WT7-C16MS. Running the VCDS "Classic" (Beta version) and HEX-NET for wireless connection.

The good... cheap, $99. Runs VCDS and Firefox.
The bad... Windows 8, but Classic Shell fixes that.
The verdict... $99... worth it. :D

jef@rosstech

TDI
Will it run the usb VCDS? I have that one and don't want to buy the HEX-NET version.
It has a micro-USB port on it, so I assume it will work with our "smart" interfaces that we've been selling for the last 9 or 10 years. But, I do not have an adapter for USB to micro-USB to confirm this. I'll see about sourcing one and posting the results.

Bananas are not for sale, for I am the keeper of banana bread.:rolleyes:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Nice option for VCDS if it works. I've been thinking about getting an old netbook or something. The old laptop that I use is slower than death and has zero battery life which makes it a pain to plug into the cars.

But $100 for a slick VCDS interface sounds pretty good.

jef@rosstech

TDI
Kitewagon, VCDS, software wise, does work. I'm running the same VCDS there as one might run on a old XP laptop computer.

I've ordered a USB to micro USB adapter. Once it shows up, I'll verify it works with our wired (USB) interfaces as well.

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon, 5 speed conversion, GBSM
I have an Encore with VCDS on it. Microusb adapter works fine with the VCDS cable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jef@rosstech

TDI
Is there a way to connect to an iPad... I have a hex can
Nope. The "HEX+CAN" or HEX-USB+CAN, needs the VCDS Classic software that runs on the Window OS, such as the $99 tablet I just got.

However, our HEX-NET interface has VCDS-Mobile integrated right into the HEX-NET. VCDS-Mobile will work on an iPad and Android devices. Even that one guy with the Black Berry can use VCDS-Mobile. :)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
How much for the week-old bananas? Can they be turned into biodiesel?
Not very well at all. Despite being a grain, and not a 'fruit', the fatty acid level is far too low. Sugar content is high so as an ethanol source they are marginally better.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
the hex can would that run on a tablet or am i stuck with a laptop
A Hex-Can will work on a tablet IF that tablet runs full Windows (not RT) and if it has a fully functional USB port. I have an old Dell ST10 10" tablet running Windows 7 with a full size USB port and it works perfectly. It is older, so it is somewhat slow and clunky, but it is plenty fast enough for VCDS.

The biggest problem with many Windows tablets is that little micro-USB connector. They can be a bit fragile. Once you hang an adapter and the Ross-Tech cable from the tablet, it puts a lot of stress on that tiny connector. I would be very gentle with the cable in this situation. This is the reason that a Hex-Net wireless interface might be a smarter choice with many newer Windows 8.x tablets.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
A Hex-Can will work on a tablet IF that tablet runs full Windows (not RT) and if it has a fully functional USB port. I have an old Dell ST10 10' tablet running Windows 7 with a full size USB port and it works perfectly. It is older, so it is somewhat slow and clunky, but it is plenty fast enough for VCDS.

The biggest problem with many Windows tablets is that little micro-USB connector. They can be a bit fragile. Once you hang an adapter and the Ross-Tech cable from the tablet, it puts a lot of stress on that tiny connector. I would be very gentle with the cable in this situation. This is the reason that a Hex-Net wireless interface might be a smarter choice with many newer Windows 8.x tablets.

Have Fun!

Don
You are dead on. I have had micro usb ports fail on 3 of my tablets so far. Fixed under warranty but the hassle was enough to make me go wireless. These ports are now used by default for ac adapters on tablets. No bueno, sooner or later the tablet will quit charging. Apple iPODS have had a similar issue since day one. If you are using the USB port I would secure the cable to the case (velcro??) and leave some slack in the cable at the usb connector. Treat it gently.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Well, for such a short thread, I've gone from "That's good solution to running VCDS" to back to choosing between running VCDS on a cable between my Dell Mini and the car or just get the more expensive version and going wireless on my iPad." The more I think about this, the more I think I'll probably just go wireless. So it's HEX+NET, I guess.

jef@rosstech

TDI
While we were all sure the HEX-USB+CAN and other Ross Tech interfaces would work with the $99 tablet via a dinky USB adapter, here is pudding, within you will find proof. :confused:

I went with a 90deg angle adapter, I figure it would put less stress on the connector. One could use Velcro® to secure the adapter to the back of the tablet.

Port Test passed, Interface found.

Gateway Insulation List

Pulling fault code from Navigation. Same as everyone else, "Tuner for Satellite Radio - Deactivated". Does anyone pay for satellite radio? Or is everyone just streaming Pandora and Spotify with their cell phone?

IMHO, better off with the HEX-NET and go wireless as shown in my first post here, but a simple USB adapter does work.