Seized slider pin - replace caliper carrier?

jfd3220

TDI
2002 Golf GLS
My driver's side rear brake has been sticking lately and I finally had a chance to look at it today. I noticed that the bottom slider pin is seized. I can't even turn it with a ratchet. I've also noticed that the upper slider pin is a bit bent. From experience, is there any chance that I can salvage this carrier and just replace the slider pins, assuming I can get that bottom one out, or do I have to replace the carrier. TIA.

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
Last edited:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
By the time you get the pin out, you will strip at least one thread. They you have to timesert the carrier.........buy new pins........

If you can get the parts at a reasonable price, go for it!

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Try getting the pin out. Mine was so rusted it barely wanted to move, but once it did i just kept spinning it while pulling. Eventually it came out.
To clean the carrier just spray a bunch of penetrating oil and sand/brush the rust out. Low grit sandpaper wrapped around a thin rod works well, as well as a bore brush of the right size. Clean out with brake cleaner spray and let dry, and then grease it up.
... or you could try removing the carrier and replacing it, but then you risk running into bigger problems by breaking or stripping the bolts holding it, which i bet are rusted as hell.

jfd3220

TDI
2002 Golf GLS
Thanks for all the input. I ended up taking a torch to the carrier for a couple of minutes and then spraying a bunch of release-all in there. I think it got sucked in by capillary action. I then proceeded to ratchet it out for the next 10 minutes, occasionally applying more release-all. It finally came out so I cleaned it up with the dremel with a brass wire brush and cleaned out the carrier with some brake cleaner and a .30 cal bore brush that I have. I lubed up both pins and put it back together and the caliper now slides easily...but I couldn't get the piston to go back in. I have the special tool and I even opened the bleeder but it just wouldn't budge. Looks like I have to replace the caliper now, unless there's some way to fix that. Has anyone been able to recover a caliper that is stuck?
On a side note, I live in Canada so the whole brake carrier looks like it's been at the bottom of a lake for the last 10 years. The dust cover that goes around the rotor is gone, but I can still see rusty remnants of it around the bolts that used to hold it on. Salt really destroys any exposed metal quickly.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
The road salt up here is nasty, especially if you spend lots and lots of time on the highway. Once the shields start to go, I just replace them before they are too far gone.