Need head work done

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Sorry if this is the wrong place but I'm looking for someone to do my head work on my alh valve seals are leaking slightly and want to prevent any damage. I was suggested to Frank 06 but I can't find him. A point in the general direction would be awesome thanks in advance. Looking to get this done asap

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Was the head at all damaged or any valve gasket issue or anything like that? Or is this just a refresh on a head while you have it off? Valve seals are easy to diy, so is a quick valve lap but anything with wobbly valves (new guides) or the like, there are a few good shops in the area that are worth checking out
Look at our trusted mechanic sticky page.
Anything with massive head repair like a warp or bent valves is worth sending and waiting for frank06 to do.
You can also just get a replacment head if you cant wait

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
It’s Franko6....not a zero but an o.

Here is his contact

Frank's VW TDI's, LLC
1007 Olive St.
Lockwood, MO 65682
417-232-4634
Franko6tdi@gmail.com

You won’t go wrong with him, plus he’ll help you if you have questions.

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
No nothing wrong with it just when I shoved my head down to take a peek I seen oil coming on to the valves. Enough that it was in the exhaust manifold which caused me to look initially. I'm definitely interested in the DIY. But I want it done right n be reliable thanks all

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
No nothing wrong with it just when I shoved my head down to take a peek I seen oil coming on to the valves. Enough that it was in the exhaust manifold which caused me to look initially. I'm definitely interested in the DIY. But I want it done right n be reliable thanks all
how many miles on it? do you consume a LOT of oil?

as long as it never overheated and you dont have any head lift issues or coolant issues with the head
you can do what i did
find a local machine shop
they might not have the metric tooling to do it but the one i used in boonsboro was able to (they ordered the parts they needed.
i stripped the head, took it to them to press out and install new valve guides and relive them, they cut new seats because when you put new guides in they dont always line up perfect after you relive them.
they also installed new seals for me
make sure that they do not change the depth of the valve protrusion, if they do need to cut enough of the seat to change it then the head must be decked properly to achieve this spec. those things are not difficult for a good shop to do as long as they have the info do go off.
anything past this and you should just send it out to franko6*
cost me $210 for all that.
you can do the cleaning yourself and a light port/polish and gasket matching port, do the same for the intake you have
buy all the parts and have them do that work
you can do the rest with a valve clamp and some common tools
food for thought

replacing the valve seals is the same amount of work as you have to pull the valves and head

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Mongler, we are just slightly more than your service, but very accurate when reconditioning a cylinder head.

Tell you what, Wigs, if you'd like to give us a try, there are a few cylinder heads we have done. We use high quality part and time-tested techniques. I just answered another post by you in another thread. If you want to try making the AMC cylinder head work, we can look to see what we think. But I'll tell you right now, we reject parts we consider subpar.

Feel free to call if you like.

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Thanks Franko the phone called cleared alot up looking forward to getting the head done waiting for a micrometer to do a bore check