Kufatec power/heated/memory seat retrofit DIY

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Yes, one end goes to terminal 30 on the relay plate, the other end goes to the front-of-the-car terminal of fuse S44.

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
Almost a complete success. Everything works including the heating elements on both sides. My only issue is the passenger chair recline adjustment doesn't work. The switch assembly has 2 ports for the single connector and after trying both it still won't work. What do you guys think?

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
This happened on my car. I asked the guy that helped me and he just replied "the 2 pin harness on the seat controller (passenger side) was plugged into the wrong plug." Maybe this will help.

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
I swapped the position of the connector with no change. This was just a test run so I didn't fuss with it for too long. Full re-install starts tomorrow or this week. I'm not merely swapping. My power leathers came from a junkyard car with no rear seats and totally wrecked leather so there's an on going transplantation process going on here. Glad to have heated cloth anyway.

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
I'm in the middle of moving so after more or less finishing this project I haven't had a chance to update the thread.

For a couple days, my windows would do all sorts of weird stuff, rolling themselves down, not delayed or no response to pressing switches up or down. The radio and window switch illumination acted pretty wild as well.

Eventually all these electrical anomalies just sorts of stopped all at once and now everything is normal...except for my passenger seatback adjustment. I haven't had a minute to mess with it to see what the deal is. I've just left the seat cover off until I get it resolved (in case it's the motor).

Pro-tip: if you decide for whatever reason to remove your factory seat covers, reinforce all if the stitching before reinstalling it.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
For a couple days, my windows would do all sorts of weird stuff, rolling themselves down, not delayed or no response to pressing switches up or down. The radio and window switch illumination acted pretty wild as well.
You probably need the newer seat control module to work with your 2004 CCM.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
I had to replace my seat module when I did this swap, but I was under the impression that it was only so that the memory feature would work. It might be worth doing either way. I also have a 2004 car and I needed 3B1959760E.

After typing the above statement, I looked up the part number to be sure I was remembering it correctly using the oemepc.com web site, and I noticed something I hadn't noticed before which might be relevant. The description of the part is "control unit for memory seat and backrest adjustment."

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
"control unit for memory seat and backrest adjustment."
Interesting. Wonder why the driver works just fine then. I haven't tried using the memory function as of yet.

Thanks for dropping that part number. Depending on the cost, I'll probably just drop that in as a first step to see if it fixes the issue.

I should actually try to see if the part number on my current ccm matches before, though.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
I can't remember if you mentioned what year your seats were, but it looks like 1999.5, 2000 and 2001 cars use 3B1959760A and 2002 - 2005 use 3B1959760E.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
There are a few on eBay for $45-ish. One even comes with the seat pigtails attached. I hate when people do that but at least you get some free connectors.

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
Sh*t I might need to buy both. These were junkyard seats. That's why I had to go through the trouble of transplanting the covers and foam to the powered brackets--the leather was wrecked and the rear were gone. So, no idea what year other than I had thought, seemingly mistakenly, that they stopped offering this or it became at least uber rare, after around 01 or so.

I can't remember if you mentioned what year your seats were, but it looks like 1999.5, 2000 and 2001 cars use 3B1959760A and 2002 - 2005 use 3B1959760E.

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
I found a BRAVO unit with pigtails. I was thinking the plugs looked different at first glance, is that the case? Are you implying I'd need different connectors as well?

Is there anyway I can tell if my seats are earlier (01 and less) or later?

There are a few on eBay for $45-ish. One even comes with the seat pigtails attached. I hate when people do that but at least you get some free connectors.

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
I can go back to the junkyard and maybe see if the car is still there and get the VIN. That would be some luck give I got these parts damn near a year ago and the jetta was damn near stripped clean then.

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
Last question, anyone know if I'd be correct in assuming the ccm would be the same across trim levels on a given year model? I would think so but correct me if I'm wrong.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, there are two potential CCM's for these cars. Off the top of my head, I can't remember the part numbers, but the older one starts with 1J0 and the newer one starts with 1C0. The cutoff is usually similar to the other cutoffs mentioned, i.e. 1J0 until 2001 and 1C0 starting in 2002. The seat module (there's only one in the driver's seat but it controls both seats) has to match the CCM. When you say BRAVO, do you mean you found a seat module with the part number 3B1959760B? That looks like it is also for 1995.5-2001 cars.

As far as identifying the model year by looking at the seats, I'm not sure. Were the seat belt wiring connectors identical between your original seats and the replacement seats, or did you have to move your seatbelt buckles? That might be one way to tell. There may be others, but I'm not sure. Did the power seats come with a memory module? Maybe you can read the part number off of that?

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
Wrt to the BRAVO thing, yes. The airbag connectore were identical. I'm not so sure about the "memory module other than the ccm. The seats are equipped with the memory function.

I haven't looked at it in a couple days now. Once I get done moving and settled I'll take a closer look. I also need to get this inner cv joint taken care of before none of this even matters anyhow!

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
Side question(s) for you benmarks:

Do 20th brakes fit under the factory 15" alloys?
Was your VNT17 on a m/t or tiptronic equipped TDI? I have tiptronic, which I'm very happy with actually, but was thinking it probably would not hold up.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
The 337/20th Anniv. brakes are 312mm in the front, and I am 99% sure that you would need at least 16 inch wheels. My Exors are 17 inches.

My VNT17 turbo is installed on a manual transmission car. Unfortunately, I don't have personal experience with any of these mods on a car with a Tiptronic transmission.

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
So after getting settled in the new place and whatnot, looking to wrangle this passenger side issue and the ccm.

benmarks,

So I need the 2002-2005 ccm (3B1959760E) or the ccm from whichever generation the seats came out of? Older and newer ccm's seem identical imo.

For clarification sake, were cars equipped with power memory seats equipped with different ccm's? Is that the real issue I'm running into?

Thanks!

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
So I need the 2002-2005 ccm (3B1959760E) or the ccm from whichever generation the seats came out of? Older and newer ccm's seem identical imo.
CCM is the Comfort Control Module and is not what's under your driver's seat. The CCM is what controls your door locks, window motors and alarm. Leave the CCM alone.

What you might need to replace is the seat control module. If your CCM part number starts with 1C0 then you probably need the newer 3B1959760E seat control module. If your CCM part number starts with 1J0 then you need the older seat control module.

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
Where is the seat control module located? This whole time I thought I maybe needed a ccm (located under/above steering column). Little lost at this point...

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
It is mounted on the underside of the driver's seat. It has four different connectors on it and it has an angled side so it's not a rectangle.

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
Okay. Making more sense now why that could be my problem (passenger side no recline). I tried the memory functions last night and the 1 and 2 memory buttons make the driver seat back move.

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
Thanks for all the help and clarification guys. I swore I needed a new ccm for whatever reason. Anyway, went ahead and verified the seat control module is infact from an older model vehicle, so I found an '03, 3B1959760E, module on ebay and should have it in a week or so. I'll post once it's installed to let you know if it fixes my problems with memory and/or passenger seatback control.