MK5 BRM Jetta NO START AFTER engine rebuild.

Denali376

TDI
06 Jetta tdi BRM 5 Speed, 06 vw Jetta tdi brm DSG
06 VW Jetta BRM, POS! :mad:
Manual 5-speed
It ran before I removed the engine/transmission but 1&4 where low on compression. Removed the cylinder head and Ceramic glowplugs broke into small shrapnel. Caught in the rings, cylinder walls scarred up.
Overbore .25mm Glyco bearings throughout ARL pistons, TOTAL SEAL modified Gapless Goetze rings. Balanced rotating assembly. Should be a solid engine.
After getting everything back together I am now dealing with a no start issue. The ignition functions as far as key on engine off. When I try to start the engine the starter doesn't engage. I have jumped the starter posts and the starter spins over. I'm going to check the starter relay today. When I turn the key on engine off position the cooling fans come on and run every time. I have checked under hood fuses.
Any ideas?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
06 VW Jetta BRM, POS! :mad:

Manual 5-speed

It ran before I removed the engine/transmission but 1&4 where low on compression. Removed the cylinder head and Ceramic glowplugs broke into small shrapnel. Caught in the rings, cylinder walls scarred up.

Overbore .25mm Glyco bearings throughout ARL pistons, TOTAL SEAL modified Gapless Goetze rings. Balanced rotating assembly. Should be a solid engine.

After getting everything back together I am now dealing with a no start issue. The ignition functions as far as key on engine off. When I try to start the engine the starter doesn't engage. I have jumped the starter posts and the starter spins over. I'm going to check the starter relay today. When I turn the key on engine off position the cooling fans come on and run every time. I have checked under hood fuses.

Any ideas?
Which terminals on the starter did you jump? The two main ones? Did the engine turn over when you jumped it, or just the starter spin?
I'm guessing it's probably a simple problem, but finding it will be the hardest.

First thing I'd check, is pull the starter activation wire, then have a helper turn the key to start and check for voltage at the wire. If there isn't any, follow that back on the wiring diagram. You'll have the clutch switch, being that it's a 5 speed, see at which point there is power.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

ToothFaiery

TDI
98 Jetta TDI, 2005.5 Jetta TDI
I have been tracing down fuse problems, a short to ground, with my 5 speed 2005.5. There is a relay in the engine compartment upper fuse box, 458, that my research shows to control engine start. You can test the relay by using an old 12 volt transformer running a few volts or less. Pull the 458 and look on the side to see which plugs to use for testing. When you run a current, you will hear a clicking sound from the relay if it is good. There are posts re the 458 with more detail.

If you turn the key and the dash instrument lights do not come on and car will not start, there is a green fuse and an orange fuse at the top left of the same fuse box just above another relay. If I recall correctly, the green is a 20 amp fuse and the orange a 5 amp fuse. I pulled all my fuses to take apart the fuse box to check the wiring. When I replaced all the fuses, I inserted those two fuses one step out of place. The green fuse goes in the top left fuse terminal. My car would not start and most of the instrument lights would not come on. When I moved the two fuses one step over to the left, problem corrected. You may have a blown 20 amp fuse.

Last edited:

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If it started before the rebuild, it's not the relay. I replaced 2 of mine thinking it was and I just wasted money. I have spares now :D. Try swapping the 458s, there are 2.

Denali376

TDI
Which terminals on the starter did you jump? The two main ones? Did the engine turn over when you jumped it, or just the starter spin?
I'm guessing it's probably a simple problem, but finding it will be the hardest.

First thing I'd check, is pull the starter activation wire, then have a helper turn the key to start and check for voltage at the wire. If there isn't any, follow that back on the wiring diagram. You'll have the clutch switch, being that it's a 5 speed, see at which point there is power.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
I jumped the two exposed posts one on the relay of starter and starter motor. The starter motor ran but did not turn engine over.

Denali376

TDI
I have been tracing down fuse problems, a short to ground, with my 5 speed 2005.5. There is a relay in the engine compartment upper fuse box, 458, that my research shows to control engine start. You can test the relay by using an old 12 volt transformer running a few volts or less. Pull the 458 and look on the side to see which plugs to use for testing. When you run a current, you will hear a clicking sound from the relay if it is good. There are posts re the 458 with more detail.

If you turn the key and the dash instrument lights do not come on and car will not start, there is a green fuse and an orange fuse at the top left of the same fuse box just above another relay. If I recall correctly, the green is a 20 amp fuse and the orange a 5 amp fuse. I pulled all my fuses to take apart the fuse box to check the wiring. When I replaced all the fuses, I inserted those two fuses one step out of place. The green fuse goes in the top left fuse terminal. My car would not start and most of the instrument lights would not come on. When I moved the two fuses one step over to the left, problem corrected. You may have a blown 20 amp fuse.

That 458 is good on mine, the cluster does come on with koeo

Denali376

TDI
If it started before the rebuild, it's not the relay. I replaced 2 of mine thinking it was and I just wasted money. I have spares now :D. Try swapping the 458s, there are 2.
I only see one. It ran before rebuild. I read somewhere if the master cylinder has a pressure sensor and if it's not reading pressure it will immobilize starting. Idk

Denali376

TDI
Update, the starter died. The motor is fine but the relay on the side was faulty. After installing a new starter fired up. Thank you all .