New Recall 23W5 - Heat Sheild - Boost Hose on 2012-2014 Passat with DSG

Mixchump

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 1.9L TDI - 5-Spd Manual, 2015 Passat 2L TDI 6-spd Manual
Just wondering if those of you who are turning in your 12-14 TDI Passats with DSG are going to take it in for this recall, prior to buyback appointment? The recall looks a bit serious, as they're saying that heat in DPF or other exhaust components could cause a fire if leaking grease comes into contact...

I'm tempted to take it in, just to make VW pay out for some potentially pointless work, especially if they end up scrapping my vehicle (although not likely with these), you know?

Besides, the dealer makes a few bucks, regardless..

Thoughts?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
It took them 4 years or so to recall it (just got this on my 2013), so likely not that common of a problem. In any case, I had it done Tuesday, and it went prety quick. I'm keeping my car, though . . . but that really makes no difference . . .

And unless you beat it to death, very unlikely any 2015 Passat won't be resold . . .

(And I question why you ask this, since you don't list yourself as having any vehicles that would be affected?)

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I question the "...just to make VW pay out for some potentially pointless work..." comment. OP: Why???

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
In actuality, that would likely not be the case anyhow. If it's a Passat that has not been abused, it will be resold and get the work done anyhow . . . the only question is by who and when . . .

But yeah, the vindictive mindset is pretty ignorant . . .

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Had recalls done today. The 23W5 (heat shield for drive shaft), the Takata air bag igniter, and the O2 sensor actually failed (service person said it was the first one he'd seen that did), but couldn't be replaced because they were not in stock....so I have to go back for that.
They offered to do the Gen 2 fix on the car, which I declined, stating that we were doing the buyback next year.