fuel filter for 2015

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
I'm considering doing my own 40K service, the shop quotes are just ridiculous. I'm having problems finding the actual part number, does any one have this? Also, prime or don;t prime the FP after putting in the new filter?

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
The $5000 question is, if I do not prime the fuel pump after changing the filter am I asking for trouble?

I am very capable of changing the fuel filter as I've seen it done, I don't have the ability to prime the FP.

Mechanic wants $140 to change the fuel filter. (includes the filter)

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Most have had zero issues just replacing the filter then topping it up with fresh fuel into the canister (not in the middle hole of the filter). FWIW, I did this in January at 20k miles on my Golf and it would not start as I believe I didn't top it off so that's my fault...I assumed that the pump cycled when turning on the ignition, it does not. I only let it crank maybe a total of 10 seconds before deciding to run the pump with VCDS and I've had zero issue and now at 55k miles.

$140 to change a $38 filter that takes ten minutes is robbery though.

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I didn't have any problems changing it. I just topped off the canister with fuel. Also the 2015 was a lot easier too pull out the filter, then on my old car.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
One additional suggestion is that if, in the process of changing the filter, you end up spilling fuel, make sure to clean it up. not all the hoses are made of material specified to resist fuel forever.

some simple green sprayed around, and a gentle wash out with a garden hose should do the trick. you want lots of water, but not lots of pressure.

Spohntaneous

TDI
2015 TDI SEL Jetta
MightVac

I used a MightVac to pull fuel through one of the hoses on our 2011. My 2015 Fuel Filter canister top is different. It only has 3 hoses which attach to the top. Does anyone know which hose I would pull off to prime my fuel filter?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
The $5000 question is, if I do not prime the fuel pump after changing the filter am I asking for trouble?

I am very capable of changing the fuel filter as I've seen it done, I don't have the ability to prime the FP.

Mechanic wants $140 to change the fuel filter. (includes the filter)
I didn't prime mine....filled it with XPD started right up no problems

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I didn't prime mine....filled it with XPD started right up no problems
Know heavy duty diesel mechanics that swear if you fill the filter housing with Power Service it more convenient than using fuel....and gives a better start since the prime has been effectively lost ...and lots of extra lube.
VW TDI's might be different...but figured if I ever had to do an emergency fuel filter swap, that's what I'd do.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Know heavy duty diesel mechanics that swear if you fill the filter housing with Power Service it more convenient than using fuel....and gives a better start since the prime has been effectively lost ...and lots of extra lube.
If the pump had lost prime, it would not start immediately. The main benefit to filling the canister with an additive is that is prefiltered. But so is diesel really (filtered at the pump), so I just use good clean diesel.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I'd try and prime it first. The cp4 is so junky I'd rather make sure there's no air in the system.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk