Who's keeping, who's selling?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
That's the main reason I typically go to an inspection only place. No up selling, just in and out.
I take my Jetta and Golf to a place that gets me in and out (only place I trust to take my cars for any repairs I don't want to do). The GSW gets free inspections at the dealer we purchased from, so that's why we do it. Though, the last two times with an appointment took two hours for a ten minute inspection :rolleyes:

solBLACK

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
Exactly what "repairs" were needed? Our dealer always tries to suggest totally unnecessary work when taking it in for a state inspection.
85k miles between our two '15s and they are both trouble free.
When I switch from recirculated air and fresh air the mechanism that changes that makes a loud knocking sound for 10-15 seconds. It just isn't working right now. I also have a small leak in the Ad Blue or something, but it hasn't caused any issues that I can tell. Plus the 40k DSG service. Driver window doesn't always manually go up or down. Cruise control turns off for no reason sometimes. I may have just got a lemon. I had to take my car in within the first 5k miles as the a/c and heat went out. Luckily that was under warranty.

So far the Ad Blue leak is the only thing that they've told me that needs to be fixed that I didn't know about previous to taking it in. The guy basically told me that if I was doing the buy back to not get it fixed.

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
Was going to trade up...

I'm selling back my TDI. So, yesterday I stopped off at the local VW dealer to look at a '16 Jetta Hybrid that's been on the lot for several months.

Took a test drive, too.

Jetta Hybrid SEL fully loaded with Nav and all, sticker priced at $34K. EPA 48MPG highway. I said let's make a deal. Sales manager got that price down to $27K......then began to add on the extra fees.......and back up to $32K.

I thought, well maybe....until I noticed the Hybrid required Premium fuel..:mad:

No wonder the car sat on the lot so long.

I walked away.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
I certainly keep the TDI. My reasoning is there simply no alternative exists in the market comparable to VW TDI's in term of driving dynamics, fuel economy and the fun factor.

jimi179

TDI
1978 rabbit diesel, 2012 tdi golf buyback 12/29 done
I'm selling mine,2012 golf 2 door ,tech package..my dsg i hate,downshifts on hills , gets confused at stop signs and intersections..93,000 miles..great ca,r its been good to me but it's needing tires and brakes....timing belt coming up egr,dpf hpft ? dont want the adblue tank..gti's now are now all 4 door with the dsg.. beetle convertible's are all 1.8 with the auto....taking the money and buying myself a miata...or a audi tt conv,.. If they make me an offer.... hav'nt seen anything yet.......been lurking here a while..gonna miss it..thanks guys...i learned a lot...

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I'm selling back my TDI. So, yesterday I stopped off at the local VW dealer to look at a '16 Jetta Hybrid that's been on the lot for several months.

Took a test drive, too.

Jetta Hybrid SEL fully loaded with Nav and all, sticker priced at $34K. EPA 48MPG highway. I said let's make a deal. Sales manager got that price down to $27K......then began to add on the extra fees.......and back up to $32K.

I thought, well maybe....until I noticed the Hybrid required Premium fuel..:mad:

No wonder the car sat on the lot so long.

I walked away.
Member tomo had one a couple years ago. Couldn't sell it privately (no one wanted it). Had to trade it. Ask him how that went and what he thought of the car the short time he had it.

Sosin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Volkswagen Golf TDI and 2014 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Last week I got on the VWGOA Online Claims Portal and logged in all of our information for my 2014 Jetta TDI and my 2015 Golf TDI. Even though I love our diesels, the estimated buy back for both vehicles is just too hard to turn down. They'll pay off the loans and write you a check for whatever is left over. So I'll probably get the wife a nice used Tiguan with about 50,000-60,000 miles on it and be payment free. I myself found a sweet 2012 VW GOLF R with 70,000 miles and purchased it last week. The speed on the R is amazing! I'm having a lot of fun driving it. I should have my new 18 " rims and high performance all season continental tires either tomorrow or Friday so that'll be sweet too. So now I'm also on the VW Golf R Forum trying to learn the in's and outs of my new R. So much to learn! LOL! Oh and I really love the Haldex AWD system on the R. You can feel pulls on certain wheel when turning left or right. That'll help up here with the Michigan winters.

solBLACK

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
It's official. Accepted a new job. Will only be driving 2 miles to work instead of 40. Doing the buyback and getting an SUV to deal with the Wisconsin winter better. I'll miss the TDI, but just don't want the hassle anymore.

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG White/Beige
Last week I got on the VWGOA Online Claims Portal and logged in all of our information for my 2014 Jetta TDI and my 2015 Golf TDI. Even though I love our diesels, the estimated buy back for both vehicles is just too hard to turn down. They'll pay off the loans and write you a check for whatever is left over. So I'll probably get the wife a nice used Tiguan with about 50,000-60,000 miles on it and be payment free. I myself found a sweet 2012 VW GOLF R with 70,000 miles and purchased it last week. The speed on the R is amazing! I'm having a lot of fun driving it. I should have my new 18 " rims and high performance all season continental tires either tomorrow or Friday so that'll be sweet too. So now I'm also on the VW Golf R Forum trying to learn the in's and outs of my new R. So much to learn! LOL! Oh and I really love the Haldex AWD system on the R. You can feel pulls on certain wheel when turning left or right. That'll help up here with the Michigan winters.
A guy just down the road from my house builds custom VW/Audi turbos in his shop. Just in case you want to turn that R into a real monster. It's a couple of old German guys (Nick and Volkr) who apparently tune for fun.

Sosin

Veteran Member
TDI
A guy just down the road from my house builds custom VW/Audi turbos in his shop. Just in case you want to turn that R into a real monster. It's a couple of old German guys (Nick and Volkr) who apparently tune for fun.
Nice! I will definitely keep it in mind! More power and more speed is what I'll eventually be looking for!

solBLACK

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
Been having issues with your 2015?
Way more issues than I expected to have with a 2 year old car. To add to my list of things in my previous comments my driver side window doesn't go down or up automatically sometimes. Have to reset it. My cruise control will go out randomly on my commute to and from work. No bad weather or anyone around me, but it just goes off.

Other people seem to be having a great experience with theirs so I guess I'm just unlucky.

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
I am now undecided. If they take 2 or so years to roll out a fix for the EA288, I might just as well drive it for a while and take the buyback. I wanted a quick resolution on the fix, as I wanted to drop a bigger turbo in. I can't justify spending on upgrades with the current uncertainty on the fix date.

Sosin

Veteran Member
TDI
I am now undecided. If they take 2 or so years to roll out a fix for the EA288, I might just as well drive it for a while and take the buyback. I wanted a quick resolution on the fix, as I wanted to drop a bigger turbo in. I can't justify spending on upgrades with the current uncertainty on the fix date.
I hear ya and can totally relate. With the fix the EA288 will be less fuel efficient and will most likely take a hit on horse power and torque. I know some are saying they will reverse the fix but who knows how easy that will be.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Member tomo had one a couple years ago. Couldn't sell it privately (no one wanted it). Had to trade it. Ask him how that went and what he thought of the car the short time he had it.
I didn't trade it....ended up selling it on Craigslist took a beating..... not a bad car as he stated required Premium I didn't always use premium Gas mileage never got anywhere near advertised trunk too small gas tank too small

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I hear ya and can totally relate. With the fix the EA288 will be less fuel efficient and will most likely take a hit on horse power and torque. I know some are saying they will reverse the fix but who knows how easy that will be.
Where is this information exactly? I highly doubt the power and efficiency will change with the EA288 and it's DEF system. Adding a NOx sensor post DPF/SCR catalyst to monitor the effectiveness of the DEF does not sound like it will hurt anything other than DEF usage.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Where do you get your information? As of now there is NO FiX! So what makes you think that HP and Torque will take a hit? So until there is a Fix approved no knows what is going to happen.:rolleyes:

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
Where is this information exactly? I highly doubt the power and efficiency will change with the EA288 and it's DEF system. Adding a NOx sensor post DPF/SCR catalyst to monitor the effectiveness of the DEF does not sound like it will hurt anything other than DEF usage.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
THIS. The EA288 isn't going to end up with anything more than a downstream NOx sensor and an increase to the urea spray rate. This would not have any impact on performance. What we don't know is how VW will implement this (modification to existing equipment or replacement equipment) and if the delay by VW is intentional to convince MK7 owners to ditch and move to new product. There is still a lot of speculation out there.

Sosin

Veteran Member
TDI
Where do you get your information? As of now there is NO FiX! So what makes you think that HP and Torque will take a hit? So until there is a Fix approved no knows what is going to happen.:rolleyes:
I was just thinking and speculating. I feel like anytime you mess with the emissions you either open up the engine or you suffocate the engine. Stricter emissions on the EA288 would seem like the engine would be more restricted. I could be wrong and I hope I am.

bballppaul

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S - Buyback, replaced with new 2015 GolfSportwagen S DSG
I was just thinking and speculating. I feel like anytime you mess with the emissions you either open up the engine or you suffocate the engine. Stricter emissions on the EA288 would seem like the engine would be more restricted. I could be wrong and I hope I am.
Sosin, it really depends on the technical reasons that VW chose to include the cheat software on the EA288 US models. If the actual SCR catalyst that is used is undersized and the fix involves changing DPF/SCR catalyst, then yes you are right that the engine characteristics will change (flowrate, backpressure, etc) and that can have an effect on fuel economy and driving characteristics.

If the technical reason is that VW wanted to reduce adblue dosing to align with 10,000 mi service intervals, then the impact to fuel economy and performance will probably be negligible. Currently, court docs seem to support this, but we won't know until the fix is officially approved. The additional NOx sensor that is talked about is to help the SCR system better report NOx conversion efficiency to the ECU so that the system can do a better job at controlling NOx emissions. Hard to tell if DEF dosing needs to increase under a heavy load if there's no sensor to report the NOx coming out the end of the tailpipe.

Anyways, back to the question at hand, I have a 2015 TDI Golf, which I love, love, love. I have had zero problems with it at at 35,000mi. Basically the buyback give me the MSRP of the car. In theory I want to keep it, but in 2 years, my life situation will likely be different. I will be married, probably have a kid on the way, and be looking for a new vehicle with a little more cargo space. A TSI Golf Sportwagen perfectly fits the bill, except that I would obviously love a TDI. So I may do the buyback only because it is the best deal I'm going to get on the car, right when I will be interested in a vehicle that better fits my life situation. (Also my lovely fiancee can't drive stick, and is resistant to learning, but that's a whole different story...lol. I'm not the first forum member to fight that battle...;))

So I'm gonna wait it out and see what happens. Lots of unknowns right now. Will a fix ever be available? Will TDIs come back in 2018, 2019? We just don't know enough info yet. We've got two years to make the decision. And for those that argue about the mileage component, with the way I drive, I could potentially lose 2K value on my buyback if I do it in 2017. Well, that's still less than the depreciation that I normally would have experienced over a 2 year period, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Last edited:

Sosin

Veteran Member
TDI
Sosin, it really depends on the technical reasons that VW chose to include the cheat software on the EA288 US models. If the actual SCR catalyst that is used is undersized and the fix involves changing DPF/SCR catalyst, then yes you are right that the engine characteristics will change (flowrate, backpressure, etc) and that can have an effect on fuel economy and driving characteristics.

If the technical reason is that VW wanted to reduce adblue dosing to align with 10,000 mi service intervals, then the impact to fuel economy and performance will probably be negligible. Currently, court docs seem to support this, but we won't know until the fix is officially approved. The additional NOx sensor that is talked about is to help the SCR system better report NOx conversion efficiency to the ECU so that the system can do a better job at controlling NOx emissions. Hard to tell if DEF dosing needs to increase under a heavy load if there's no sensor to report the NOx coming out the end of the tailpipe.

Anyways, back to the question at hand, I have a 2015 TDI Golf, which I love, love, love. I have had zero problems with it at at 35,000mi. Basically the buyback give me the MSRP of the car. In theory I want to keep it, but in 2 years, my life situation will likely be different. I will be married, probably have a kid on the way, and be looking for a new vehicle with a little more cargo space. A TSI Golf Sportwagen perfectly fits the bill, except that I would obviously love a TDI. So I may do the buyback only because it is the best deal I'm going to get on the car, right when I will be interested in a vehicle that better fits my life situation. (Also my lovely fiancee can't drive stick, and is resistant to learning, but that's a whole different story...lol. I'm not the first forum member to fight that battle...;))

So I'm gonna wait it out and see what happens. Lots of unknowns right now. Will a fix ever be available? Will TDIs come back in 2018, 2019? We just don't know enough info yet. We've got two years to make the decision. And for those that argue about the mileage component, with the way I drive, I could potentially lose 2K value on my buyback if I do it in 2017. Well, that's still less than the depreciation that I normally would have experienced over a 2 year period, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Now this explanation makes sense! Very nicely said my friend.

Colville

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL "The Modern Squareback"
Good reads here, helps to see other opinions. I traded a 2012 Jetta TDI wagon once they finally came out with these wonderful Golf wagons in 2015; so I now own a 2015 Golf SEL TDI wagon. I really love the car a lot, being all my other automobiles are all 1966 and older, it helps to save money on fuel when needed. It also works great for my wife and my 2 kids, so I'm gonna hate to have to get rid of it which is why I'm really on the fence about this.

I called the customer service for VW and they told me the fix for the MK7 engines will be out in December of this year and they are partnering with Uber to test everything out and get numbers for everyone. They also said dealerships will have "test" cars to drive and see what you think. Personally I can not make a decision without knowing the effects on performance and fuel mileage.

I've looked into getting the early 2000s Passat wagon possibly and saving a lot of money on my car payment. Right now i've got 20,000 miles on my 2015 and the buy back offer was a little over $31K which is more than I even payed so it is a bit tantalizing. I just really love the car, which makes it very difficult. Being a lover of old cars from the 1960s and back I really like timeless cars and companies that have been around, wagons are some of my favorite vehicles and the 2015 GSW is just such a great package.

Ive even had thoughts of going for a Jeep Rubicon 4door, obviously id be loosing the gas mileage, but they are fun vehicles with a classic appearance.

I guess all in all, ill be waiting for December to see how the "fix" goes, supposedly it is a 2 phase fix with the 1st phase being a software issue, and the 2nd phase being a sensor hardware replacement. In the mean time, heres a photo of my only car newer than 1966… my take on a modern square back :) (sorry photo so big, don't know how to resize it)

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
For those of us keeping it, when will paylent occur if a fix is not available?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If a fix is not available, buyback is the only other option for getting any cash out of the settlement.

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
After searching for a replacement car when the "By back" takes place, I'm leaning toward the "fix + cash" plan for my '15 Golf TDI.

Nothing I found came close to the MPG I get at highway speed with the TDI.

My dealer told me those who choose the "fix" will receive 2/3 cash up front and remainder cash after the car is "fixed".

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
After searching for a replacement car when the "By back" takes place, I'm leaning toward the "fix + cash" plan for my '15 Golf TDI.

Nothing I found came close to the MPG I get at highway speed with the TDI.

My dealer told me those who choose the "fix" will receive 2/3 cash up front and remainder cash after the car is "fixed".
I agree, i drive about 40 miles each way to work and was never under 50MPG, no one is touching my tdi as of now.