2007 GMC Canyon TDI Project

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
Good point. There are modules for the raspberry pi that would let it pull data straight from the CAN bus as well. Does your ECU have a speedometer input? Mine only gets it over CAN from the ABS controller, but I know you're using a different setup.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Good point. There are modules for the raspberry pi that would let it pull data straight from the CAN bus as well. Does your ECU have a speedometer input? Mine only gets it over CAN from the ABS controller, but I know you're using a different setup.
The Canyon PCM get speed from transmission sensor. It relays this on CANBUS to ABS and cluster. The new ECU for the TDI, which is an EDC17CP14 needs a VSS input I think. Waiting to get a wire diagram for the ECU.

I am looking at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSUUu_lPt0k

http://www.carberry.it/

http://www.carberry.it/en/projects/3/Car_Engine_Parameters_Visualization/

Also this for Arduino but seems more limited than Raspberry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAjhYzEjzsg

http://www.slideshare.net/godfreynolan/connecting-outsideworld

The other nice thing about the Raspberry...it seems I can have central sound and GPS all from same unit.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Finished welding up motor mounts brackets and cleaned up the frame. Installed some spare V63.0 mounts I had.

Started ripping into the wire harness now. Marked the wires of primary interest to me. Also ran over a main ECU ground. Need to decide on a main power wire.
Always looks like a mess when you first dig into it.

Most of the wires are sorted out and eliminated now. The big pile on the fender are all pinks and blacks which are grounds and run/start 12V. I will keep some of these for relays, the rest I will remove.

Also finished welding motor mount weldments that bolt to engine and installed them.

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Brilliant Black Audi Q5 3.0TDI, 2014 Tempest Blue metallic Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2002 Blue Eurovan Weekender BHW TDI
Make sure you check out these guys for help getting into and controlling the CAN-BUS.

https://canb.us

It's an actual controller. People have done some cool things with it already such as...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/for...-mfd-upgrade-mk5-golf-sneak-peek-105273.html?

Check out the video link in the first few posts.

Here is the website of those guys. I think they're still in business but the kickstarter page for their circuit board isn't active anymore.

http://www.getrod.com/

It looks promising and like an easy (ish?) way to get into the CAN-BUS and pull the information you want from it. I'll definitely be looking into it/using it for my project with the v6 TDI.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Well, just finished 5ish days of work on the truck. Things are in a good state.

Picture from this evening.

Exhaust System is pretty much complete.

Driveline is all done.

Finished all the intercooler work. Finished the coolant system. Lined up all my materials for fuel system. Focus now will be fuel and electrical. Will be ready for starting and driving with about 5 more days of work.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
That is some pretty cool stuff. It feels like a bit of a steep learning curve for me getting my head around it but I think once I start playing with some of this stuff it will make more sense to me. Thanks for the links.

Make sure you check out these guys for help getting into and controlling the CAN-BUS.

https://canb.us

It's an actual controller. People have done some cool things with it already such as...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/for...-mfd-upgrade-mk5-golf-sneak-peek-105273.html?

Check out the video link in the first few posts.

Here is the website of those guys. I think they're still in business but the kickstarter page for their circuit board isn't active anymore.

http://www.getrod.com/

It looks promising and like an easy (ish?) way to get into the CAN-BUS and pull the information you want from it. I'll definitely be looking into it/using it for my project with the v6 TDI.

mcneil

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 4dr, 2001 Jetta TDI, Jeep TDI project
I just got my tach working with a SeeedStudio can shield on an Arduino. I'm not a programmer either, so Arduino is about as deep as I can get into making the little black boxes do special things. I put the details up in my thread.

Check out what this guy did with a VW instrument cluster:
http://www.seeedstudio.com/recipe/291-volkswagen-can-bus-gaming.html

Does your Colorado have a CAN-BUS instrument cluster? The way the above link works is that the guy is using a Mk6 cluster, which receives all its display information over CAN. The cluster is just watching the CAN bus for CAN ID 640, then it grabs some bytes out of the message, does some math, and moves the needles.

If your Colorado dash is CAN, you just need to make an module that puts the CAN messages out on the bus with the ECU's ID.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Amazing how many ways to do this. :eek:
The cluster is CAN-BUS. The transmission controller is not, but if the ECU accepts the speed out put signal as a VSS, then I imagine the ECU will put the speed info on CAN-BUS as well. So Speedshield on Arduino would be the module for putting the ECU CAN message on the CAN-BUS?

I just got my tach working with a SeeedStudio can shield on an Arduino. I'm not a programmer either, so Arduino is about as deep as I can get into making the little black boxes do special things. I put the details up in my thread.

Does your Colorado have a CAN-BUS instrument cluster? The way the above link works is that the guy is using a Mk6 cluster, which receives all its display information over CAN. The cluster is just watching the CAN bus for CAN ID 640, then it grabs some bytes out of the message, does some math, and moves the needles.

If your Colorado dash is CAN, you just need to make an module that puts the CAN messages out on the bus with the ECU's ID.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2

I was reading your write up on getting EDC15 to report on CANBUS, which was a great bit of information so thanks for sharing, but it occurred to me that my ECU is EDC17 which is already CANBUS...if the ID's are all universal I should be able to just tie my hi and low busses to the truck high and low without the arduino and it should all work. Does this sound correct to you?

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Just an update - have not had much time to work on project for last 30 days..but the electrical has been taking a sizable effort. I tried doing a start tonight but no go. Just not getting any fuel rail pressure...fuel is there but is only at very low pressure. I should also point out that my fuel pressure at the inlet to the HPFP is 52psig so perhaps that is the issue, OEM is 72psig, but not sure it is that critical for just getting it running. My HEX-USB does not work with this ECU so I do not have any great diagnostic ability right now. Still a large list of small items to clean-up before driving...winter is coming fast and it is getting very cold in my unheated garage. Hope to wrap it up and have it drivable in next two weeks. Will post some pictures in a few days may be.

Last edited:

mcneil

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 4dr, 2001 Jetta TDI, Jeep TDI project
I was reading your write up on getting EDC15 to report on CANBUS, which was a great bit of information so thanks for sharing, but it occurred to me that my ECU is EDC17 which is already CANBUS...if the ID's are all universal I should be able to just tie my hi and low busses to the truck high and low without the arduino and it should all work. Does this sound correct to you?
Try it, the worst that could happen is it doesn't work.

There's a chance the two busses run at the same speed (VW being at 500kbps).

If they do, and they both talk 2.0B, then there's a much smaller chance the CAN ID's line up.

If the CAN ID's do line up (eg, engine parameters are ID=640 on the VW and on the GM), then there's an even smaller chance that the message structure is the same.

Most likely, the GM and VW will talk and it will be gibberish to each other.
But you should try it.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Awesome work.

No power steering? Or is it electric?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
On page 1 post 6 photo 3 there's a pair of pliers right next to a rad hose coupler with a sensor in it. Is there a chance that you could get me the part number off that coupler?

Thx!

Steve

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
On page 1 post 6 photo 3 there's a pair of pliers right next to a rad hose coupler with a sensor in it. Is there a chance that you could get me the part number off that coupler?

Thx!

Steve
ok. I see what you are looking for. I will look for it tomorrow morning.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Try it, the worst that could happen is it doesn't work.
There's a chance the two busses run at the same speed (VW being at 500kbps).
If they do, and they both talk 2.0B, then there's a much smaller chance the CAN ID's line up.
If the CAN ID's do line up (eg, engine parameters are ID=640 on the VW and on the GM), then there's an even smaller chance that the message structure is the same.
Most likely, the GM and VW will talk and it will be gibberish to each other.
But you should try it.
I can try it...just worried about shorting out something. :eek:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Thanks, durrr, that was my sunday no coffee moment, lol.
lol. no worries. It is the Canyon steering pump so might of been bit harder to pick out. Also using the Canyon A/C pump. Did the swap without discharging the Freon..was a little worrisome when re-bending the tubes with live pressure but all is good. :D

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2

Thx!

Steve
Sorry Steve, I just cant see the part enough without taking a lot of stuff off the install. I thought I might of had a spare one but was not able to find one.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Sorry Steve, I just cant see the part enough without taking a lot of stuff off the install. I thought I might of had a spare one but was not able to find one.
Thanks for trying. Which hose is that? I might be able to back into the coupler if I have a little more information.

Steve

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Thanks for trying. Which hose is that? I might be able to back into the coupler if I have a little more information.

Steve
I have part of a diagram from ETKA here that might be helpful. it is model: JEM, Year: 2011, MG:1, SG:1, Illustration: 121-060, Restrictions:16-B-000-001, UPD:1091

The part is item 5 on that illustration. I don't have the corresponding list that goes with the illustration but you should be able to call a dealer.

ben2go

TDI
none
Interesting project.I will be following along silently.I am considering a Colorado/Canyon for my next truck.Mods and engines swaps are always possible with me.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Remember to check with the SC DMV before starting any swap. At least on this side of the line, the engine has to be the same year of newer than the vehicle it's going into. For me, that means I would need a CR TDI engine to drop into my 07 Canyon. Right now, I am thinking it might be easier and cheaper in the long run to just buy a new Canyon diesel.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I have part of a diagram from ETKA here that might be helpful. it is model: JEM, Year: 2011, MG:1, SG:1, Illustration: 121-060, Restrictions:16-B-000-001, UPD:1091

The part is item 5 on that illustration. I don't have the corresponding list that goes with the illustration but you should be able to call a dealer.
Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can't get a friend at VW to look it up for me.

Steve

ben2go

TDI
none
Remember to check with the SC DMV before starting any swap. At least on this side of the line, the engine has to be the same year of newer than the vehicle it's going into. For me, that means I would need a CR TDI engine to drop into my 07 Canyon. Right now, I am thinking it might be easier and cheaper in the long run to just buy a new Canyon diesel.
SC don't have emissions or inspections.One of the few good things about SC.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
You still have to register the vehicle after the swap though.

ben2go

TDI
none
You still have to register the vehicle after the swap though.
No inspections of any kind.I just take the title to the DMV, they process my paper work,and reg/tag the truck.They never even look at it.I've done quite a few gasser swaps and they just shrug it off.