'01 Audi A4 1.8T quattro TDI Conversion

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I have a stock Euro AFN ECU from my imported 98 Audi A4 TDI as a base for your tune development if that's interesting to you. It should be plug-and-play at the harness and may be good as a spare...

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Audi A4 Avant quattro w/BHW TDI & 01E 6-speed
I'll keep that offer in mind if I end up having any issues with this ECU. However I'm not sure if a 1998 ECU will connect to the 2005 harness I'm using. Also, I was under the impression that Euro TDIs of this vintage used vacuum actuators for EGR and other things, while US TDIs used electric actuators, which would change how the ECU controls those items.

Speaking of electrical stuff, considering how hard it is to get to the starter with the engine installed, I was thinking of changing mine for a new one during the swap. Is there a manual trans-specific starter I need to acquire? Or will the standard BHW starter bolt up with an 01E trans? I only ask because the listing for a new Valeo starter specifically states "for auto trans".

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
Now I'm stalled on the most unlikely obstacle... TUNING! I can't get in touch with a tuner to get my ECU flashed with an appropriate tune. I emailed TD Tuning multiple times, and no-one's replying (been over a month since they last replied). I sent multiple emails to Malone Tuning, and no-one ever replies. It's incredibly aggravating that no-one wants my money... kinda reminds me of the way many forum vendors have treated me. The engine is all built and ready to go, this is a stupid thing to be stuck on.
sigh...sadly while I`m sure 90% of us here hit that wall nobody talks about it which is extremely strange...the lack of communication from these vendors in my books is completely unacceptable - I've talked to too many people now who are basically forced to get into tuning by themselves simply because you can't get ahold of vendors...the other case of course being they`ll reply enough to get your money and push the first tune out at which point they become too busy to deal with any issues...sorry - I don't have a solution unfortunately...I am stuck in the same lane as you...that's why instead of having a professional finish the tune I paid for I've been collecting tools for the past month to try and finish the job myself...

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Contact Turbo Johan in the Netherlands - he tuned my ECU. Otherwise Kerma might be more responsive domestically. I glossed over the fact that you have a BHW engine; my ECU wouldn't work anyway. Love the fact that yours is a Nogaro blue Avant quattro with a BHW and 6-speed 01E; it's just about my ideal combination! :)

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you finish your spreadsheet yet ? I did all the mecanical part, and now I'm doing the harness, it would really save me time !
It's "done" as far as the theoretical part goes (ie. comparing wiring diagrams and guessing based on that). But now comes the practical part where I get to physically try it out and see what needs fixing.

TDIMeister said:
Love the fact that yours is a Nogaro blue Avant quattro with a BHW and 6-speed 01E; it's just about my ideal combination!
Yeah, this is a fantastic combination. I love my car. I have 4 specific requirements for my ideal daily driver:

- a wagon (NOT an SUV or a crossover)
- AWD
- manual trans
- diesel

There's nothing on the market in North America that meets those requirements, so everything has always been a compromise in one area or another. Once I complete this project, I'll FINALLY have my ideal daily driver.

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, it's time to take the plunge. Today I pull the engine out of my A4 and begin the actual swap. I've given myself 2 weeks to complete this, because that's how long I've got a spare vehicle for (loaner from a friend).

_diezel_

TDI
Golf GTD Sportwagen mk6
If you're willing to share your spreadsheet I would give it a try this weekend.

Almost all my mechanical part is done yet. Don't hesitate to get in touch if I can help you in return !

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Yeah, this is a fantastic combination. I love my car. I have 4 specific requirements for my ideal daily driver:
- a wagon (NOT an SUV or a crossover)
- AWD
- manual trans
- diesel
There's nothing on the market in North America that meets those requirements, so everything has always been a compromise in one area or another. Once I complete this project, I'll FINALLY have my ideal daily driver.
My sentiments exactly. I have a 3 year headstart on you for having my ideal daily driver. ;)

Where are you in VT? I'm only 30 miles from Derby Line! Would love to pay a visit.

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
Sure! That would be great. We're not going anywhere until after Christmas. We just came back from Ontario (London area).

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
Old A4's engine's almost out! Didn't have as much time to spend on it today as I would've liked. Busy roasting a turkey and such. Instake, exhaust, electrical, A/C and coolant are all disconnected. Just need to do the axles and driveshaft and the whole thing comes out.

Found an interesting thing while taking stuff apart. The turbo bearing on my 1.8T is completely shot. Over 1/2" of travel along the prop shaft. I've been burning oil for years, and my exhaust smokes like a bomb whenever I idle too long. Also boost has been down at least 5psi for over a year. I guess I know why now.

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
Some progress!

Only thing that held me up was the shift rod. Damn thing was seized at the transmission. Ended up having to butcher it to get it to come off. Considering this car is 15 years old with 278,000 hard Vermont miles, I'm impressed that was the only part that gave me issues.

Next up, the subframe comes off!

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
While I have the wiring harness out, I'm doing some upgrades:

Swapping out the old positive battery cables (battery to starter, starter to alternator) with 0 gauge copper:

Here's a comparison of the factory cable vs the new 0 gauge cable:

Also upgrading both ground straps (battery to chassis, engine mount bracket to chassis) with 0 gauge copper.

Eventually I plan to move the battery into the trunk. There's gonna be a whole lot more space back there once I remove the hump from the evap cannister :)

Last edited:

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
Crap... another setback. The Passat I'm using as a donor car has an older-style lift pump with the beige tub and top. And of course, it's dead. Probably has been for years and no-one noticed. I was going to take the metal pump module out of it and wire it into my A4's pump casing, but now I can't do that. Also, now I have no easy way of getting the fuel out of the Passat's tank to flush out the gas from my A4's tank.

I do NOT want to pay $200-$300 for a replacement pump with the entire tub and cap. I really just need the metal pump module. How does one go about acquiring this? Are there inexpensive aftermarket pump modules I can get?

edit: I'm seriously considering getting a diaphragm lift pump that goes inline with the fuel line if I can't just get the pump mechanism for cheap. This is what I have on my GM 6.5T, and it works great.

Last edited:

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
oops, ignore the previous post. Pump works fine. I forgot I had unhooked the wires inside the tub in anticipation of taking it apart. This was months ago. I feel stupid.

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
why do you need to swap over? just use your 1.8T pump...
Because the 1.8t pump puts out 80+ psi, and a diesel lift pump only pushes 7 psi. There isn't even a pressure regulator anywhere on the fuel line to limit pressure, which would put both the in-tank and tandem pumps in danger.

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
the pump will put out the pressure you ask it to so just regulate to 5-10psi and feed back to the tank...it`ll cost you $25 for a FPR and will save you the trouble of swapping pumps etc...

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
Honestly I don't see why this is a hassle. I have the lift pump here and it's already out of the car. The A4's pump needs to come out anyways so I can catch the debris that might fall in when I open up the fill hole. And both pumps are wired in with blade connectors that come right off anyways. It's literally a 5 minute job for $0.

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
d'oh, pie on my face. This isn't simple at all.

I've got both pumps out and disassembled:

The lift pump is on the right, the high pressure pump is on the left, and the plastic housing that it came from is on the far left. The 2 pumps are VERY similar in size. The height difference doesn't matter so much. But what does matter is the small lip near the top of the lift pump. It prevents the pump from fitting in the plastic housing all the way to the bottom. That means I can't attach the pickup screen to it, and the pump can't pickup fuel from the bottom of the tank (ie. I end up with an empty tank before it's actually empty). I could probably find a way to force it down there, either with heat or brute force. But the odds of causing permanent damage to the housing go up, and servicing the pump in the future becomes a nightmare.

So as far as I can tell, my options are:

- force the pump to fit (bleh)

- re-use the old high pressure pump and add a pressure regulator under the hood

- get rid of the in-tank pump and add an inline diaphragm pump under the car

I'm favoring nitec's idea of adding a pressure regulator, but my main problem with this is that I need a bypass regulator, not just a basic regulator. Bypass regulators are much more expensive than basic ones. Setting up the bypass isn't a problem, there's already a return line right next to the feed line under the hood. But now I'm looking at buying a bypass regulator, fittings, a tee, clamps, and a gauge... easily $100 for good quality parts.

Meanwhile, a good quality inline lift pump is easily $80 and requires me to add wiring to make it work.

Conundrums...

Last edited:

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
I just had to do this in my Allroad. I took the advice of a couple other swappers here and just put in a "T" between the supply and return before the fuel filter. I measured the tandem pump inlet pressure at around 15psi deadheaded which is apparently fine. Total cost was $4. I plan on getting some brass fittings and oetiker clamps at some point to clean it up a bit.

I'm going to keep an eye on fuel temps, but it seems like the easiest solution without worrying about suction jet problems inside the tank.

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
ah hah! Now that's a solution I like a lot. If 15psi pressure at the tandem pump is acceptable, then I'm all for that. Looks like I'll be going that route. Thanks for the great suggestion!

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, it feels good to be making solid progress towards my goal. Especially now that the end is in sight.

Today I did some modifications to the oil pan to accommodate the oil level/temperature sensor that my A4's gauge cluster expects to see.

Used a hole saw to drill an appropriate-sized hole (I think I used 1-5/8"), and tapped the bolt holes. I initially thought they were pre-threaded, but they were not. I used an M6-1.0 bottom tap.

I still find it odd that the pan is cast with all these features, but doesn't make use of them.

Even though the sensor's seal fit perfectly on the surface of the pan, I still applied some black gasket goop to make sure there would be no leaks. Same stuff we typically use when installing the oil pan.

Here's a view of the installed sensor from inside the pan:

Now I can finish cleaning up the pan and put it back on the engine.

For those wondering, yes I could have used the oil pan from the 1.8T which would have prevented me from modifying the BHW pan. But the 1.8T oil pan has a port for the turbo oil return line which I would have needed to block off somehow. Also, I want to keep that pan for the 1.8T anyways. That engine can be rebuilt.

Last edited:

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
Crap crap crap crap crap, another minor setback.

I was planning to add sound deadener to the plenum area, so I figured I could drop the steering rack down a bit to give me a little more room to work with. Which led me to actually examine the steering rack. Which led me to order a new one online. It's in such sorry shape, it's a wonder it hasn't failed already. Both boots have been torn for years, just out of sight. The shafts inside are pitted horribly.

Oh, and the tie rod ends need replacing too...

On the upside, this has to be the easiest steering rack replacement job ever :) Being able to stand in the engine bay with nothing in the way is an absolute joy. I suppose if the steering rack MUST be replaced, this is a good time to do it. Just wish it wasn't costing me $480 (also replacing the feed and return lines).

So here's the most recent photo of my car:

_diezel_

TDI
Golf GTD Sportwagen mk6
15 psi at the tandem is within specs.

For you tie-rod you should use S4 ends, they are direct. I mean without rubber damping.

edit: part number (4F0498811A)

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
Lot of good progress so far. While waiting for my new clutch hydraulic stuff (ugh, another thing I'm replacing), I'm trying to tackle the electrical changes that need to be made.

In my spreadsheet, I couldn't identify pin 1 from the red connector (T15m) on my Audi 1.8T harness. I've since figured out that it comes from pin 74 on the ECU, and then goes to pin 13 on the ABS control module. That means this wire doesn't actually terminate inside the car, it just goes by a roundabout way from the ECU to the ABS. Unfortunately, I have no clue how that translates to the BHW wire harness. The ABS control module on the Passat doesn't appear to have the same pinout.

So I need to find the right wire to plug into the 1 position in the red (T15s) connector of the BHW harness (this position is currently empty on the BHW harness).

I have the T15 Green/Brown wire labeled as EDL. Electronic Diff Lock, only installed in 01+ cars. Mine did not have it being a 2000. Never hooked the wire up to anything, no issues.
This makes the most sense, but why does the wire exist in my wire harness? I know I don't have any kind of EDL or ASR on my car, so it would seem odd that the wire exists at all. I've physically confirmed that it's there at the ECU, the T15m connector and at the ABS control module.

Last edited: