What did you do to your car today?

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
Removed the Ariettas with the crapped-out Avon Tech M550's, and replaced them with 2006 NB Houstons with stock Michelin MXV4+'s. I can't believe I had that awful rubber on my car for 40k miles. The Michelins are not incredibly good tires, but it's *so* much smoother and quieter in the cabin now.

Also checked the rear suspension for loose bolts...the rattle I had been hearing back there disappeared when I removed the Ariettas. Still don't know what it was.

--Chris

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

Got ready for Impex Fest and some VW shows happening in VA/MD in May. Washed, polished, and waxed the car. Repainted the exhaust tip and hitch receiver. I also detailed the engine bay:

And I installed a spare set of injector lines that I polished up a few months ago (and polished the top of the IP):

:cool:

Scott

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta silver arrow GLS TDI
installed a set of new projector headlights, euroswitch, fog wiring harness, boost gauge, boost valve. installed the rear swaybar last weekend and the new 17" rims and kuhmo tires.

finished up riveting the brackets for my new leather heated power mkv seats and dropped them off at the welder. still working on figuring out the wiring from a mk4 car to a mk5 seat... i will get it sooner or later... the rear seats are in now (although they dont fold down yet) the passenger front folds down (forward).. thats going to come in handy i think....

did all that while working in the parking lot while it was snowing all day.. have about 5" on the ground now so i doubt much will get done tomorrow.

t

Last edited:

beachkokopelli

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2003 Beetle
Deleted my heavy as hell muffler, made it a straight pipe, and had an oval tip installed instead of the two end tips. Hear the turbo alot more over 80 but apart from that, sounds exactly the same.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
hand wash and an engine wash yesterday; and replaced the yellow markers with some clears that Jerry sold me at Impex. And started to clean out the door hinges that the PO literally put grease on. Mix that with dirt road and dog hair... ewww.

otbBlaine

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
She's going to the body shop today for some collision repair...can't decide if I want the euro bumper performance-cafe sells or not. When she get's back she'll have a new set of 20th AE lights (justification; I needed fogs :rolleyes: ) put in, get all wired up, and have the rear fog wired in as well...then it's off to VW to have VWOA fix the interior...and then off to another shop to have the QA stuff in the fuel pump fixed. And while she's there maybe she'll get a new clutch/flywheel so that when I can afford nozzles and chip-upgrade I won't fry the one that's in there...and then it'll be back to the shop to paint the Votex skirts I just bought (replicas from dubtechnik). And about that time I'll have the time to put the 20th ae suspension on, get an Autotech 28mm rear sway, wire up my pyrometer and delete the EGR....gonna be a busy summer.

...wow, I should go to work so I can pay for all this :D

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
tmophoto said:
Have a set of drilled brembos, ate super blue and stainless lines with a motive power bleeder waiting and ready to get installed. still looking for a good brake pad. I think i might try to locate a set of ceramic pads, but i am really not sure what to get right now.
Put in Akebono ceramic pads and ATE solid rotors last Friday. At first I didn't think I liked the Akebonos -- it took a surprising amount of pedal pressure to get them to really bite. But today, after about 400-500 miles, I really noticed how well they were working, without me having to press any harder on the pedal. I like them, and I am counting on them being a lot less dusty than the old pads (Pagid front, OE VW rear).

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Got the Beetle registered so I can drive it legally now. (Well... I won't get any tickets for no registration anyway.)

Installed new battery after six hours of 2 amp trickle charge.

Installed plug in the A/C clutch circuit since I hate butt connectors and the old one was cut off.

Installed the leather skin on the 1998 driver seat. (It's all ready for all of the wiring and such for the heated seats.) (Still need to figure out why the seat belt light isn't going off)

Cleared all of the misc codes from having the wrong seat in with no airbags.

Filled the car to the brim with D2.

je

Veteran Member
TDI
-
Went to open the garage door by the button. Didn't see that the ebrake wasn't on enough (huh? it was before) and it wasn't in gear so it was about 1/2" from the door. Put a big scar up the bumper up to the rub strip.

Did I mention that about a month ago I had the bumper repaired and repainted with other work. Bumper would be about $250... dammit.

Justler

Veteran Member
I washed my car at the pressure wash place... 6 months of no washing was long enough I guess.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
je said:
Went to open the garage door by the button. Didn't see that the ebrake wasn't on enough (huh? it was before) and it wasn't in gear so it was about 1/2" from the door. Put a big scar up the bumper up to the rub strip.
That reminds of why I have that scratch on the rear bumper of the Jetta.

thermographer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 2004 Wheat/Beige with Automatic Tiptronic, ESP
Replaced the OEM rear brake pads.. plenty of pad left em, it guess they don't get used much. Replaced the oil...started to rain just as soon as I removed the drain plug.

Tomorrow, checking the front brakes.. and doing fuel filter, depending on the weather.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Cleaned the door panels, dash, and leather seats in the '97. I hadn't done anything to the door cards or seats since buying them. They look a lot better. Oil change on the '02 wagon today.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Deduced that the seat belt light illuminates if there is an airbag code. I scanned the car, cleared the Air bag code and the light is off now. Not sure if my deductions are right but the only one that really cares about that is the IRS.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
lots o' little stuff

Busy day yesterday:
Installed 42DD triple gage panel w/ VDO oil temp, boost & EGT
Cleaned intake manifold after drilling for boost fitting.
Replaced EGR blockoff w/ EGT probe & new plate.
Installed Sirius radio antenna cable adaptor.
reinstalled & loctited loose bolt for oil pan skidplate.
replaced bad citylight and sidemarker bulbs
replaced all 4 headlight bulbs w/ phillips euro silverstar.

Conclusions:
Boost & EGT get a little high at WOT.:eek:
Sirius sounds much better now, no static from the crappy radio modulator.
engine is quieter without skid plate banging on block.
Headlights are better, whether due to better bulbs or just new bulbs.

The radio is the important thing. If the Princess is happy, eveybody's happy.:D

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI
painted the new grill and eyelids today (3 coats of silver arrow and 6 coats of clear) Yanked out the old centerconsole and installed the dual cupholder center console with rear cupholder/ slide out compartment. got rid of that useless ashtray in the back seat

t

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
whitedog said:
Deduced that the seat belt light illuminates if there is an airbag code. I scanned the car, cleared the Air bag code and the light is off now. Not sure if my deductions are right but the only one that really cares about that is the IRS.
Realized that I'm an idiot and that wasn't the Seat Belt light that was on...:rolleyes:

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 5 sp., 2003, Silver/Grey Int.
Yesterday we removed the transmission, split the case and installed a Peloquin and new 5th gear from Oliver. New clutch,flywheel, PP and disc are ready to go in, and the lower IC pipe that DieselGeek made a few years ago is installed. We'll finish on Monday and I'll install the upper IC pipe then too.

Scott58

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 01 Golf
97 ongoing project

Sat. replaced the rear shocks. Sun. replaced the front struts and fixed the AC. Replaced the dryer and expansion valve to fix the AC. Expansion valve was leaking through the assembly plug on it and corroded. Nice and cool now, 40 degree air out.:)

tmophoto

Veteran Member
TDI
installed a dg short shifter after cleaning the car and engine compartment, all ready to put the nozzles in.

t