what guages to add

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
I am looking for advice on what guages I should be installing on an upcoming tdi swap. Boost would be one. Oil temp, another. What else should I be monitoring? Water temp? Oil pressure?

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
I am looking for advice on what guages I should be installing on an upcoming tdi swap. Boost would be one. Oil temp, another. What else should I be monitoring? Water temp? Oil pressure?
Your list is off to a good start. I am one that believes you cannot have too many gages. I consider the following to be mandatory: boost, EGT, water temp, oil pressure. Oil temp is a nice one to have as well.

Not sure of how complex a swap you're going for but if you're going to a dumb/wastegated turbo that needs tuned manually, a drive pressure gage is not a bad idea. If going with compounds, interstage boost gages are good to have for tuning and troubleshooting.

Sent from my mobile look-at device

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
Your list is off to a good start. I am one that believes you cannot have too many gages. I consider the following to be mandatory: boost, EGT, water temp, oil pressure. Oil temp is a nice one to have as well.
Not sure of how complex a swap you're going for but if you're going to a dumb/wastegated turbo that needs tuned manually, a drive pressure gage is not a bad idea. If going with compounds, interstage boost gages are good to have for tuning and troubleshooting.
Sent from my mobile look-at device
I forgot about EGT! the motor is from a 2003 jetta 1.9 tdi. Usual stuff, GTB1756vk turbo, pd150 intake, larger intercooler, 3bar map, race 520 injectors, egr, cooler, and maf delete, head studs, and a malone stage 5 tune with immobilizer.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I like a lot of gauges as well. Air/Fuel ratio is also handy for tuning and troubleshooting.

There are several digital displays available that show OBDII data as well.

I like the Hewitt industries dual pressure gauges - currently running two of them with my compound setup. Old picture below, but you get the gist.

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
I like a lot of gauges as well. Air/Fuel ratio is also handy for tuning and troubleshooting.

There are several digital displays available that show OBDII data as well.

I like the Hewitt industries dual pressure gauges - currently running two of them with my compound setup. Old picture below, but you get the gist.

very cool, thanks.

MrDave

Veteran Member

In my Rabbit swap:

Top row: EGT, boost, transmission oil temp (sensor under 5th/6th gear)
bottom row: volts, oil pressure, oil temp.

And there's an hour meter hidden under the dash.

-Dave